shape
carat
color
clarity

Photographer opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock

Hello....I posted this thread in BWW but there is less traffic there and I would appreciate any input.

So. The amateur photographer that i was going to use for my wedding has let me down and I am now not going to use him. Instead I''m considering a professional photographer. He seems pretty good at what he does. Please let me know what you think of him.

Pre-wedding
http://www.absoluteandalivephotography.com.au/pre-wedding/jade-heath
Wedding
http://www.absoluteandalivephotography.com.au/wedding-galleries/wedding-katrina-mick
They are of different couples. Help me please. I''m stressing.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
looks pretty solid.

Not the best of the best but good work.
Do you like the style and coverage they provide?
I am not seeing many wow shots but the event was well covered with good photos.

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
strm,

What I get from the photos is that the photographer doesn't do many artistic shots as well. They are bread and butter pics: bride getting ready, groom getting ready and making "i'm hot" faces in mirrors (LOL), standard ceremony and reception shots.

I think their pre-wedding shots are slightly better.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly I''m not super impressed but I think that''s partly due to the fact that these look like galleries of everything the photographer shot on that day, without having picked through them to showcase the good images and get rid of the duplicates or less-good shots.

I agree that the pre-wedding gallery is better. The wedding-day one looks like what a good amateur might shoot if he had a high-end camera. But I agree with strm: without knowing prices, packages, or the circumstances of the shoot, it''s hard to evaluate. It might be totally reasonable for the money.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 4:02:01 AM
Author: cindygenit
strm,

What I get from the photos is that the photographer doesn''t do many artistic shots as well. They are bread and butter pics: bride getting ready, groom getting ready and making ''i''m hot'' faces in mirrors (LOL), standard ceremony and reception shots.

I think their pre-wedding shots are slightly better.
I would agree.
Even the pre-wedding I see a lot of potential in the location that wasn''t used.
There are millions of this type of photographers around the word doing good solid work.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 10:50:03 AM
Author: Liane
Honestly I''m not super impressed but I think that''s partly due to the fact that these look like galleries of everything the photographer shot on that day, without having picked through them to showcase the good images and get rid of the duplicates or less-good shots.

I agree that the pre-wedding gallery is better. The wedding-day one looks like what a good amateur might shoot if he had a high-end camera. But I agree with strm: without knowing prices, packages, or the circumstances of the shoot, it''s hard to evaluate. It might be totally reasonable for the money.

The difference between an amateur and a pro is the pro can get this level in any lighting where the amateur needs good base lighting to pull it off.
That is what you pay for when hiring an experienced pro at this level, the ability to get the shot.

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/2/2009 11:01:36 AM
Author: strmrdr

The difference between an amateur and a pro is the pro can get this level in any lighting where the amateur needs good base lighting to pull it off.
That is what you pay for when hiring an experienced pro at this level, the ability to get the shot.
That''s certainly part of it, yes. What I meant was more about composition and artistic vision. To me these look like snapshots -- somebody just trying to document what other people are doing without considering how the scene could be framed or approached from a different angle to play up the mood. They''re perfectly competent snapshots but to me they don''t reach the "wow" level of art, which is what I''d look for in hiring a pro.

I feel like for a wedding photographer, though, depending on what you want... maybe it''s enough just to have a dependable guy who can show up and document the day and maybe make things a little easier or at least not contribute to any potential drama or confusion. And budget may well be a consideration, with top-of-the-line photographers charging anywhere from $3K to $20K for a day''s work. There''s more to picking a wedding photographer than "does the work make my heart skip a beat?"

(...although personally I''d want that too!
2.gif
)

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
They''re okay, I agree with Strmrdr. It isn''t great.. but it is solid. It just depends on what you want, if you aren''t sure about his work now.. maybe it''s not the best choice. I didn''t look through all the pictures but some of the b&w''s were not very good IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results