shape
carat
color
clarity

Pet Peeves

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I think because I''ve been more emotionally charged here lately, I''ve been more prone to getting irked by people at work. Early in the week, it was the rumors started by the receptionists based on NOTHING other than their boredom and spinning gears in their own heads, and today it''s the psychiatrist who throws around her income and standards of living.

I suppose if a person makes a good deal of money, then money becomes a key part of their lives. That makes sense. Where there is an issue is when you''re careless in the way you discuss things relating to money, and downgrade what others'' have, and are proud of and happy with. A co-worker recently had an anniversary and her completely NON-romantic husband bought her a new ring. It''s beautiful and she''s *SO* in love with it. Today the Dr. said she thought it was worth about 1500 dollars and that was well below the cost of her *original* wedding ring. It''s almost like she doesn''t "get" social queues or anything. She also made commments in the past about how her *old* house was only 1900 square feet, and that was so much like a shack, without thinking abot the other person at work who was also building a new home, and it WAS 1900 square feet, and very much his dream home.

Anyway, I guess my biggest pet peeve is just NOT THINKING before you say something, and not realizing when it''s time to BE QUIET.

At any rate, I certainly hope the Dr. doesn''t ask how much my ring costs, because I can''t imagine anything prettier than what I *think* he got!! I remember a couple years ago she went on a trip to India and she mentioned that she''d gotten a new pendant and necklace, and every time anyone complimented her on it, she''d say something similar to, "Oh yes, it better be nice. It cost me 12,000 dollars. It better be nice. Good jewelry doesn''t come cheap." Nice way to reply to a compliment, no?
9.gif

So, what peeves the pee out of you?

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
parents who don''t control their children. the other day at Target a child about 8 yrs old was whining. he was about to whine his way into getting his way, but he was getting on my nerves. I tolerated it for a while, then I turned on my "teacher self", turned to the kid and told him to "stop it, we were tired of hearing it". In a sharp tone and with the best teacher glare.

He stopped immediately, gobstopped and wide eyed.

mom got embarrassed and quickly ushered the kid away from the big scary teacher lady. i winked at her and told her "i can''t help it, I''m a teacher".

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Haha, I hope Paul aquires that "teacher glare" before we have kids. Maybe a sharp look and a "stop it" will work with our kids.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i don't have patience and see right through kids "playing" their parents. is paul the one who is training to be a teacher?

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
He''s been a teacher for three years, and I''m a social worker for children and families who have mental health issues. We both adore kids. He''s a bit more of the *toughie* with the kids he works with, compared to me with mine, but he''s a HUGE *softie* on kids in his life, as far as nieces and nephews and friends'' kids.

aquarius_ser

Shiny_Rock
mine is when you''re at the grocery store and people park their cart in the exact middle of the aisle and when they see you coming they don''t move. They just stand there and drink their Starbucks! Some people will literally not move until you say "Excuse Me" I don''t have a problem asking but if they see you walk 50 feet towards them shouldn''t they know they need to move?

That''s precisely why I make my BF drive the cart! I can''t stand it!

PS - However, if you read my recent post "BREAKDOWN", I could go there right now and take out some frustration. I would run my cart down the aisle and ram them as hard as I could!

firebirdgold

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think my temperment has improved any by quitting cigs.

Sadly enough my top pet peeve is this:
3) People too stupid to use a cellphone trying to use the self-checkout line in the supermarket. It drives me up the freaking wall!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Indie for trying to quit smoking!!! I''ve been trying for a long, long time now, lol! It definitely does nothing good for a female''s (or male''s) temperment!

Fisher: You know, the part of your post that caught my eye wasn''t even the jewelry issue (higher cost=better jewelry). It was the part about the co-worker saying her first house of 1900 square feet was a "shack," and that she said it in front of someone who was building their 1900 sq. ft. home. LOL! I grew up in a 6,000 sq. ft. home in the middle of 65 acres of land, and my DH and I just bought a 1960 sq. ft. home on a "chicago lot" outside Chicago two years ago. I call it my "dollhouse." Lovingly! I will probably never own a house as large as the one I grew up in, and we may never leave this house if we build an addition onto it...but I don''t care at all! I also have never told anyone I''ve met since I moved to Chicago 5 years ago where I grew up or how big my parents'' house is, because they would look at me differently. That''s just the way people are. I DEFINITELY would never, ever make a point of stating that the house we live in now is anything but perfect, because I would fear that I might offend someone. It''s funny--we were just looking at real estate in downtown Chicago and condos or townhomes on the Gold Coast or on Lake Shore Drive are about the same size as what we live in here in the near West ''burbs. Granted, the downtown places are brand new, with state-of-the-art everything, but still...at least we have a (small) yard to mow, a garage of our own, etc. It just goes to show, to each his/her own. Some people, like the woman you spoke of, will never, ever be happy with the size of their house, the size of their ring, the amount of money they make, etc. There''s nothing wrong with ambition, and upward mobility, but when it comes to tact, money just can''t buy it.
9.gif

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm...in relation to fisher's work related pet peeve, mine would have to be the negative opinion that the 3 women I work with have towards marriage. All of these women are older than I (not saying too much being that I'm a college student) and have such negative things to say towards relationships in general. Especially one lady, who's husband of 20 years left her for a younger woman. (He's 48, his new wife is 21). Basically she was blindsighted by the whole situation and now thinks all men are "dogs" and can't seem to be happy for any other couple. I don't think she means to, but deep down I get the feeling like she secretly hopes for others relationships or marriages to fail. It's really sad. They'll all be talking about their old bad experiences with men and look at me saying "Girl, just don't ever get married!" Now they know that I am in a very serious relationship etc...I'm not one to tell all about my personal life, but I don't agree with what the say. People/couples are NOT the same!! Not all marriages will fail due to an affair!! Not everyone ends up alone and miserable like they think!
29.gif
My Grandparents have been married 60+ years since they were 18 and are doing JUST FINE!! Ugh...it really gets old!!

Another pet peeve of mine is people thinking I am so much younger than I actually am when they first see me. I've been asked "Honey, why aren't you at your High School?!" And i'm a junior in college!! I guess I'll appreciate that a little more when i'm older huh? Nonetheless it still get's old...

Fisher- I didn't know you are a social worker! I'm double majoring in Psychology and Child Development w/ the intention of going straight to grad school for a Masters in Psychology! How do you like being a social worker?!

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 12:47:43 AM
Author: RoseAngel04
Hmm...in relation to fisher''s work related pet peeve, mine would have to be the negative opinion that the 3 women I work with have towards marriage. All of these women are older than I (not saying too much being that I''m a college student) and have such negative things to say towards relationships in general. Especially one lady, who''s husband of 20 years left her for a younger woman. (He''s 48, his new wife is 21). Basically she was blindsighted by the whole situation and now thinks all men are ''dogs'' and can''t seem to be happy for any other couple. I don''t think she means to, but deep down I get the feeling like she secretly hopes for others relationships or marriages to fail. It''s really sad. They''ll all be talking about their old bad experiences with men and look at me saying ''Girl, just don''t ever get married!'' Now they know that I am in a very serious relationship etc...I''m not one to tell all about my personal life, but I don''t agree with what the say. People/couples are NOT the same!! Not all marriages will fail due to an affair!! Not everyone ends up alone and miserable like they think!
29.gif
My Grandparents have been married 60+ years since they were 18 and are doing JUST FINE!! Ugh...it really gets old!!

Another pet peeve of mine is people thinking I am so much younger than I actually am when they first see me. I''ve been asked ''Honey, why aren''t you at your High School?!'' And i''m a junior in college!! I guess I''ll appreciate that a little more when i''m older huh? Nonetheless it still get''s old...

Fisher- I didn''t know you are a social worker! I''m double majoring in Psychology and Child Development w/ the intention of going straight to grad school for a Masters in Psychology! How do you like being a social worker?!
I turned 24 this month, and last week someone I just met asked me if I''m old enough to drive. I think it''s hilarious, I absolutely love it, and yes it will pay off in the future. =)

Pet peeves...when adults make spelling/grammar mistakes. Maybe it''s the way I was raised, but if you''re a native speaker of English you really ought to do it correctly. Also, people who say something and don''t follow through (especially at work.) It rolls off my back really, but for a second it really bugs me!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been noticing lately that people can be just so rude or self important. I have had people just cut in front of me and who ever is behind me in a line, and act as if they have all the right to be there...Hey, did you NOT see the line of people? This is not a line for the heck of it. I now say, "There''s a line" as in HINT HINT, go to the back of it. I can be considerate if someone is pleasant and has a time constraint or a dilema, but being obnoxious is not okay.

I also cannot stand people who go to the movies and TALK IN LOUD VOICES like they are home on the couch...commenting on everything...when one comes back from the restroom and asks "What did I miss" the other person proceeds to tell the whole plot...and the other person cannot seem to get WHO is doing WHAT and WHY, and keeps blurting out what they think will happen next...(can you tell this just happened to me?) I have sushed and glared more than I like to think, and often just move seats...it makes going to the movies so annoying, and I love going to movies!

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
In general, self-absorbed people irritate the snot out of me. Like the ones parked in the middle of the grocery aisle, or toodling along at 50 in the passing lane, yapping on their cell phones. Or taking their sweet time walking across the busy intersection at rush hour. Or using you as a turning pin for their car while YOU are trying (quickly) to cross the busy intersection. Or letting their loud alarm go off continuously from 5AM in your thin-walled apartment building. Or setting off an entire box of firecrackers in the street at 2AM on a non-holiday Tuesday night. Or stopping dead in the middle of a narrow two-lane road to drop off their passengers (and have a conversation with them through the window) when there''s a perfectly good curb spot available. Or straddling two spaces in the already over-crowded parking garage.

I really wish I could get used to all this stuff, but it happens on a daily basis, and it drives me bonkers. In case you couldn''t tell. It''s not necessary, if people would just wake up a little and have some consideration.

OK, grandma needs her nap, now, I think...
11.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/29/2006 1:21:39 AM
Author: diamondfan
I have been noticing lately that people can be just so rude or self important. I have had people just cut in front of me and who ever is behind me in a line, and act as if they have all the right to be there...Hey, did you NOT see the line of people? This is not a line for the heck of it. I now say, ''There''s a line'' as in HINT HINT, go to the back of it. I can be considerate if someone is pleasant and has a time constraint or a dilema, but being obnoxious is not okay.

I also cannot stand people who go to the movies and TALK IN LOUD VOICES like they are home on the couch...commenting on everything...when one comes back from the restroom and asks ''What did I miss'' the other person proceeds to tell the whole plot...and the other person cannot seem to get WHO is doing WHAT and WHY, and keeps blurting out what they think will happen next...(can you tell this just happened to me?) I have sushed and glared more than I like to think, and often just move seats...it makes going to the movies so annoying, and I love going to movies!
And that is part of the reason why I refuse to go to the movie theaters anymore! (Also we don''t go because both DH and I are tall and even with stadium seating we get fidgety with our long legs, lol!) I''ve always hated the sounds of others around me, though, including cndy wrappers, popcorn justling, etc. I would much rather wait for a movie to come out on DVD or our satellite program so we can just enjoy it at our leisure in our own home. Is it wrong....???
11.gif
9.gif
9.gif

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Oh yeah, I love my job. I work with families, with the emphasis on the kids, but really, MOST of it goes back to the structure *or lack of it* in the home. Really, so many parents don''t give limits because they want to be "cool," or their kids'' friends, and well, it''s not a good thing. I like getting to know each family, learning what they''ve been doing, how the kids react, then sort of helping to mold the structure and consequences around what might work. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn''t. If it doesn''t, we try another way. Some parents just don''t know what to do, so they yell, scream, hit, or ground for like 4 months. Kids aren''t going to respond in a positive way, and change their behaviors, because of those consequences. It''s fun.

My favorite part is surprise visits to school. I like to have reasons to praise the kids, and most of the time they do really well at school because they know the consistency of consequences if they choose NOT to follow the rules and order of things.

All of my kids have DSM-IV diagnoses, and knowing about their diagnoses is good, but lots of times the heart of the behavior issue isn''t in their diagnosis but instead in the way the family deals with it and behaviors it helps to create.

It''s a good job. Sometimes I end up in smelly, nasty, flea-infested homes though. Not loving that part so much.
9.gif

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I have several:

-When people''s kids get obnoxious in fancy restraunts--come on, if you can afford to eat some place ritzy, you can afford a babysitter.
-Speaking of kids, when people let their toddlers run wild at the pool at the club (or any public place really). One kid I''ve never seen in my life dumped a bucket of water on my friend and then spit (gross) a mouthful on her while we were sitting in chairs by the pool, his mom thought it was cute. "Oh, Hunter, you''re so silly."

Maybe I just have these kid peeves b/c I don''t have kids, but I SURE appreciate good parents and have seen lots of evidence that some still exist--like the lady I saw in the store who''s kid was acting up. She glared at him and said, "Haven''t you already been told once?" the kid piped down immediately with no argument and wasn''t any more trouble. I wanted to give that lady an award or something. Way to go, good parents!

-People who drive below the speed limit during morning work traffic.
-When people spell "a lot" as one word.
-People who think "irregaurdless" is a word

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
People who can''t park correctly in a parking space. Do you think you are SO busy you can''t take the time to NOT spill over into the next space? You''re so important that you deserve two spaces??? Makes. Me. Want. To. Block. Them. In. Particularly at work, where you have to pay $450 a year to park in the lot, and the spaces are limited. Grrrrr.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
ppl who wrt in txt msg, u gt it?

new-cue-ler (nuclear)

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
People who drive like a bat out of hell down residential streets where kids are commonly outside playing. I am SO nervous to let my 2 older boys play outside b/c of this ... they have a friend that lives across the street, so they do go back and forth a little --- cars come down our street sometimes 50-55 miles per hour! And we live in a "nice" neighborhood with an elementary school 2 blocks down the street. Makes me fume!

Also, people who crank up the music in their cars and are oblivious to anything going on around them!

Showin'' my age, huh?

jen

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 3:12:10 AM
Author: monarch64

Date: 7/29/2006 1:21:39 AM
I have been noticing lately that people can be just so rude or self important. I have had people just cut in front of me and who ever is behind me in a line, and act as if they have all the right to be there...Hey, did you NOT see the line of people? This is not a line for the heck of it. I now say, ''There''s a line'' as in HINT HINT, go to the back of it. I can be considerate if someone is pleasant and has a time constraint or a dilema, but being obnoxious is not okay.

I also cannot stand people who go to the movies and TALK IN LOUD VOICES like they are home on the couch...commenting on everything...when one comes back from the restroom and asks ''What did I miss'' the other person proceeds to tell the whole plot...and the other person cannot seem to get WHO is doing WHAT and WHY, and keeps blurting out what they think will happen next...(can you tell this just happened to me?) I have sushed and glared more than I like to think, and often just move seats...it makes going to the movies so annoying, and I love going to movies!
And that is part of the reason why I refuse to go to the movie theaters anymore! (Also we don''t go because both DH and I are tall and even with stadium seating we get fidgety with our long legs, lol!) I''ve always hated the sounds of others around me, though, including cndy wrappers, popcorn justling, etc. I would much rather wait for a movie to come out on DVD or our satellite program so we can just enjoy it at our leisure in our own home. Is it wrong....???
11.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Monarch, not wrong, just a sad fact these days! I love the whole movie experience overall (EXCEPT SEEING CAR AND SODA COMMERCIALS WHILE I WAIT FOR THE PREVIEWS!!!!! AARGH!) and am upset that it is getting ruined by rude and piggy people. Annoys the pants off me. I chew quietly, try to open packages as noislessly as possible, and always get loud lip smacking chewers next to me...not pleasant. I like to go the movies when I have a sense it will be less crowded, which equals more pleasant to me...hate going opening night of a blockbuster and dealing with all the crowds...

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol i have a lot of pet peeves...i can't even think of them all at once but a few big ones are:

--people who have no sense of personal space, aka i'm standing in line and someone comes up right behind me and has to stand RIGHT NEXT to me so close i can practically feel them breathing on me
--people who can't drive. period. this encompasses many things like driving too slow, not signaling, not looking over their shoulder before switching lanes, driving and braking on the freeway etc. i swear if i had a nickel for the amount of times that i wanted to hold up a sign that says 'go back to driving school', i'd be sporting a 5c bauble by now.
--people who can't spell....i can't help this one, my mom is a teacher who was pretty strict with english, so bad spelling really tends to get on my nerves. grammar too when it's really obvious, but i have my bad grammar moments too. but not spelling!!
--loud people in movie theatres (though a few times with groups of friends i am sure WE were those loud people everyone hates) and/or really loud eaters in movie theatres like popcorn crunchers, argh!
--loud kids in certain environments like a nice restaurant or a movie theatre etc where they end up disrupting your own personal experience that you are paying money for. this is a sense of entitlement that i notice this generation has much of.
--parents who can't get a squalling child under control. the latest scene was on the train on a friday night when one of the children this lady had just was wailing at the top of their lungs the whole train ride. and all the mom was doing is rocking him and walking him around saying how they were almost home. how about 'zip it now or else i'm shipping you off to the army?'...something, anything?!?! an attempt at least.
--loud outside noise after something like 11pm. when we are trying to get to bed, neighbors having a party or something at 1am on a wednesday drives me insane or people having a convo up the street escalating into yelling, you are like PLEASE GO INSIDE and argue!
--which in general leads me to the biggest pet peeve of all which is what most of the above encompasses which is general disregard for those around you. i think someone hit on this up above, but the reason that so many people irritate so many other people is because many times people act like THEY are the most important thing around and they don't stop to think about neighbors or people around them or anything. it's all about me me me. if people just had more respect for those around them in general, i think everyone would be much happier and have many less pet peeves!!

oh and then i have the pet peeves that are typically unrelated to what other people do, which include:
--noises while i am trying to sleep, aka like a loud fan in the house on a hot night, or the washer/dryer
--cold air blowing directly on me, i can't even tell you how many times we have to be reseated in a restaurant til i find a happy spot. tee hee. greg HATES it. i also direct the a/c away from blowing directly on me in the car etc.
--too hot or too cold temperatures, i have a really small comfort zone.
--when i go to the freezer and all the ice is gone and all i really want is a tall cold glass of water!!
--how quickly sprouted bread grows mold. i swear it seems like within 2-3 days. i have to keep it in the fridge to get it to last a week!

that's enough for now. all these pet peeves are making me feel really high maintenance!
12.gif

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, I just thought of one more, and it has to do with people having at least some regard for other people. I cannot stand it when people are rude to waitstaff at a restaurant! And, yes, I am one of those people who has worked in the food-service industry, but I felt like this LONG before that! Don''t get me wrong, I think it''s perfectly appropriate to inform/complain if something is not right, but I''ve seen people be downright MEAN (not to me thankfully!!!) to their servers who were tring so hard to help them.

On the flipside of that is, of course, RUDE WORKERS at fast-food places. Some places I can''t even go to anymore! I''ve actually called management of one fast-food restaurant before -- to tell them how honestly GREAT their service was (because, I guess, it happens so infrequently!)

jen

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
OK, and one more -- tornadoes that come through my house posing as my kids!!! ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
OK, I have to go clean the livingroom...

jen
38.gif

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
People who use an OUTSIDE voice while talking on cell phone IN my LIBRARY.

Not only do they have no business yapping on their cell IN THE LIBRARY, they definitely should keep their voices hushed, not be hooting and hollering into their cell.

I recently told off a guy doing this not 6 meters away from the desk! He ripped into me for not being nice to people who ''make a mistake and don''t know the policy'' as if I was powertripping on him because he didn''t read the sign.

The policy?! You need someone to TELL you that you aren''t supposed to YELL in a gawdam library?!! This isn''t rocket science!
38.gif

When I get really angry I''m very controlled and icy and my FF calls my expression the "Librarian of DOOM face".

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/29/2006 5:56:22 PM
Author: Galateia

Not only do they have no business yapping on their cell IN THE LIBRARY, they definitely should keep their voices hushed, not be hooting and hollering into their cell.

I recently told off a guy doing this not 6 meters away from the desk! He ripped into me for not being nice to people who ''make a mistake and don''t know the policy'' as if I was powertripping on him because he didn''t read the sign.

The policy?! You need someone to TELL you that you aren''t supposed to YELL in a gawdam library?!! This isn''t rocket science!
38.gif

When I get really angry I''m very controlled and icy and my FF calls my expression the ''Librarian of DOOM face''.

even before the rudeness of how people use a cell phone, it has always been known one speaks quietly in a library. was this guy from another planet or so dense he really needed to have read a SIGN to know that?!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have so many pet peeves I could write a book!
14.gif

Here are some.

Some people here love to use a sort of '' Mockney" accent which drives me crazy, probably influenced by a once popular soap, East Enders. For example, instead of saying " we don''t have any" they say " we aint got none" and it drives me mad. UGH UGH UGH!

Parents who don''t or won''t control their kids.

Bad manners, personal space invaders
32.gif
, grammar as if you can''t guess
41.gif
, people parking in disabled spaces when it is obvious they aren''t entitled to, queue jumpers, bad drivers and parkers, drivers who turn their brights off at the last minute, tailgaters, stinky strong perfume in inappropriate places, those who won''t wipe their equipment down at the gym after use, I could go on and on and on.....

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
people who don''t RSVP

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/30/2006 9:01:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

Some people here love to use a sort of '' Mockney'' accent which drives me crazy, probably influenced by a once popular soap, East Enders. For example, instead of saying '' we don''t have any'' they say '' we aint got none'' and it drives me mad. UGH UGH UGH!

Oh, Honey, Never move to my neck of the woods because many,many of the locals around here speak like that. I think Larry the Cable guy is their grammatical leader.
15.gif
You would go crazy I am sure.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 7/30/2006 10:37:44 AM
Author: Fancy605

Date: 7/30/2006 9:01:56 AM
Author: Lorelei

Some people here love to use a sort of '' Mockney'' accent which drives me crazy, probably influenced by a once popular soap, East Enders. For example, instead of saying '' we don''t have any'' they say '' we aint got none'' and it drives me mad. UGH UGH UGH!

Oh, Honey, Never move to my neck of the woods because many,many of the locals around here speak like that. I think Larry the Cable guy is their grammatical leader.
15.gif
You would go crazy I am sure.
I probably would!
11.gif

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my pet peeve of the day: people who abuse rental cars. I rented an Infiniti G35 this weekend. It only has a little over 10,000 miles on it and it already has a dingy on the right front fender, and some idiot put a big blue ink mark on the white leather upholstery. That car is a masterpiece of engineering, and people ougut to respect it! GRRRRR

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/30/2006 7:56:54 AM

Date: 7/29/2006 5:56:22 PM
Author: Galateia

38.gif

When I get really angry I''m very controlled and icy and my FF calls my expression the ''Librarian of DOOM face''.

even before the rudeness of how people use a cell phone, it has always been known one speaks quietly in a library. was this guy from another planet or so dense he really needed to have read a SIGN to know that?!
Want to hear the real kicker? I got in trouble over it because I ''should have been nicer to the patron'' since obviously it was my fault that he got all snarky. After all, it''s not like a grown man caught swearing at top volume in a library would be defensive and rude or anything, now would he?
29.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results