shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendants: 10k bail, on a 14k white gold chain

thornygravy

Rough_Rock
I have this custom solid yellow gold pendant with white gold accents that I really love. Due to my financial situation at the time I opted to have it made in 10k.

I recently upgraded the chain the pendant/charm is paired with from a dinky 10k 3mm to a 14k 3mm white gold franco chain.

I guess my question here is.. Do I have anything to worry about in terms of the bail on the charm being 10k and the chain being 14k in terms of it prematurely scratching the chain? Or would the rhodium on the 14k chain make this a non-issue?

I'm plan on taking this pendant back to my jeweler to have the bail rhodium plated to match white gold chain.

Would it make sense to have the bail changed to 14k? I dunno. I tried googling and searching for these answers before making a thread so please be gentle, lol. Thanks.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just don't wear this necklace 24/7.
You may have thinning between all the connecting parts on the necklace, including between the chain links.
But these problems are because the wearer never takes off the necklace.
Some people think jewelry is indestructible. I don't think the 14-10k variance will make a real difference.
Be gentle with your jewelry, and it will last a lifetime.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem would be worse with a 14kt pendant on a 10kt chain. This way around the pendant bale will wear and wear thin (as I discovered for myself). The chain, will wear due to it being “softer” ie higher carat, but it won’t be noticeable as such unless you wear it all the time and the pendant is moving around. I had a bad habit of playing with my pendant (sliding it up and down the chain) and literally wore it too tin to wear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results