shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant success! And a new project...

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all...As some of you may remember, I had JKT make a pendant for my little sister''s graduation with an opposed bar cut tourmaline from Gene. Well, this weekend was her graduation and the pendant was a huge success!

Such a success, in fact, that my mom wants one for her birthday. Some kind of green stone set in a pendant with either side stones to represent her three daughters or some kind of "three" design (perhaps just metal). My sisters and I are going to do this for her birthday, but we don''t have much budget, so I''m trying to stay under $250 for the stone.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about the below (its obvious who its from, I know). Its 1.51 cts, 7.2mm. Any reason why you think I shouldn''t? Will it be too dark? I wouldn''t go bezel this time, but maybe something like a modified Elixir pendant for a round.

Thoughts? Stone suggestions (green, any shape, preferably not olive)? I''ve missed you guys (lurking just isn''t as much fun).

greentourm_novel.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Also considering this one (tourmalines seem better for the budget) - 1.7 carats, 7.25 mm.

roundtourm2_novel.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
And dream of this one, but its out of the budget:

torracaperidot.jpg

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the first stone is absolutely beautiful! I noticed it on Barry''s site as well, because it is so pretty (don''t worry I won''t be buying it)! I don''t think it would be too dark. What a lovely idea for your Mom!

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I like either of the rounds. The second is slightly larger, but I think I''d probably just pick whichever of the two is cheapest, unless you are really set on the chunky facets. That way you have a slightly larger budget for the setting.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would go with the first stone, I just adore his cutting!!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the first stone. I also love Barry''s cutting.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I''m another vote for Barry...if you are worried about the color then I would email him to see if he has something he can cut for you in your size and price range! Goodluck and I can''t wait to see the finished result!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! Thanks for the input
1.gif
I emailed Barry and he said the stone is actually much brighter and sparklier in person. I think I felt like if there was a Barry stone available, I should go with it!

And lavatea, it turned out to be only a $5 price difference! Which was nice.

Now on to settings... I don''t want to do a proper three stone with sides, as I don''t think I could really afford that, but I would like some symbolism of three. Any thoughts? Though, now that I think about it, a three stone type pendant would be amazing...

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I know JKT has done rings with little circles of gold on either side of stones before (not sure what that would be called).

Let me see if I can find a picture.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Here we go. From her website:

jktexample.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the Barry round, and how''s about doing kite set squares, one above and one below, so the points are pointing to the round in the middle? Wait, I''ve got a pic.

Like this, but prolly prongs since you said you''re not bezeling..and then turn it up and down in your mind.

jmdoublebezelringpic.jpg

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey, you could do cabs for the sides and bezel them or double bezel them like the JM and do prongs for the center..plus it''s got the little gold balls in it like in Lavatea''s pic.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the first one the best.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 8:21:42 PM
Author: lavatea
I know JKT has done rings with little circles of gold on either side of stones before (not sure what that would be called).

Let me see if I can find a picture.

I was picturing something like that, actually. She did a drawing of my sister''s pendant with three little scattershot (I don''t know if thats the real name) below it, and I loved it. Thanks for the pic! I don''t want to use JKT just because of the wait time, but was thinking that I could get some designs together for Sally as inspiration.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/19/2010 8:24:53 PM
Author: packrat
I like the Barry round, and how's about doing kite set squares, one above and one below, so the points are pointing to the round in the middle? Wait, I've got a pic.

Like this, but prolly prongs since you said you're not bezeling..and then turn it up and down in your mind.

Pack! Thats a great idea. What color cabs could you see going with it? I like the idea of three colorful stones, or the tourmaline with two teeny diamonds.

Everything I picture in my head is bezeled, always, but I'd have to see if it would work with that stone once I get it. And will need major advice on it, I'm sure.

ETA: I like your second idea. I was also thinking about maybe something by Patrick Irla, with three leaves around the tourmaline. My mom is a gardener, but not a particularly flowery person, so I don't know if it would work.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
this is off topic but to the op - when you said your e/w pears were done by ogg at etsy - who is ogg??

TIA :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I think the Barry stone you showed looks rather olive.
The Dan Stair tourmaline might end up rather dark.
The 3rd one looks yellowish but at least it is a bright stone.

I like the first design best and is probably the least expensive option. By adding sidestones, there’s the cost of the sidestones themselves plus additional setting fee for them.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 7:52:25 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
this is off topic but to the op - when you said your e/w pears were done by ogg at etsy - who is ogg??

Hi Cehrabehra. That was onegarnetgirl on etsy. She supplied the pears. I like her stuff, but its not as detailed as some of the other etsy artisans people talk about around here. Also, I only realized after I started to learn more, but the topazes are really windowed. She was a pleasure to work with, though, and if you supply your own stones (or pay more attention than I did), her stuff is nice!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 8:15:42 AM
Author: Chrono
Actually, I think the Barry stone you showed looks rather olive.

The Dan Stair tourmaline might end up rather dark.

The 3rd one looks yellowish but at least it is a bright stone.

I like the first design best and is probably the least expensive option. By adding sidestones, there’s the cost of the sidestones themselves plus additional setting fee for them.

Thanks, Chrono. I had the same concern about the Dan Stair. I ended up getting the Barry stone and hope its not olive-y IRL - I actually didn''t see that in the pic, but I sort of never do.

I''m with you, about the setting. Metal dots seems to be my best bet in terms of budget.

any other stone suggestions are welcome, too! Thanks
1.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/20/2010 9:47:47 AM
Author: Novel
Date: 5/20/2010 7:52:25 AM

Author: Cehrabehra

Hi Cehrabehra. That was onegarnetgirl on etsy. She supplied the pears. I like her stuff, but its not as detailed as some of the other etsy artisans people talk about around here. Also, I only realized after I started to learn more, but the topazes are really windowed. She was a pleasure to work with, though, and if you supply your own stones (or pay more attention than I did), her stuff is nice!
Thanks Novel - sorry for the threadjack :) I bought an aqua cab that I want set e/w and I totally bought it on impulse lol I guess I''m lucky it''s a cab - and the color doesn''t matter to me. There are colors I wouldn''t like but there''s a super wide range of colors I will be happy with and I think it''s safely in there. I don''t want details, but I do want it to be refined and unfortunately a lot of the stuff I see doesn''t hold up to magnified scrutiny. I really like flygirl''s sunstone but I want a different style bezel... it was well executed though :) Anyway.... food for thought :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results