shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant setting and Necklace chain cost/questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
HI all
Since most coloured gem stones are set in a pendant and necklace setting.
I had some questions

How much does it cost to generally set a gemstone into a pendant setting?
If the setting is of the "standard sizes" eg 5mm or whatever, it shouldnt be too expensive right?

I know there are different thickness (or gauge thickness?) of necklaces
How think in diameter makes a good sturdy and strong necklace with a low breakage risk?
How much do simple chains cost in general ? (not fancy but simple to hold a pendant)

Thanks

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Mark - Gold prices are high right now. I recently found an 18" 14k white gold box chain (1.4mm) for $150 and I snapped it up immediately. A 1 mm to 1.5 mm box chain is simple and study. I also like curb chains and wheat chains. Under 1 mm and they start to look a bit delicate to me. Look for a lobster style clasp.

I can get a stone set in a simple Stuller pendant for, well, it used to be a bit over $100, but I expect it will be more now. I suggest finding a local jeweler who sets their own colored stones, and talk to them.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
When I had my rubelite necklace made a month or so ago, my jeweler charged me $98 for a 14k 17" chain. I''ve had a stone set in a stock Stuller setting and that ran me around $60 (it wasn''t a very big or ornate setting though.)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The smaller the stone (aka less metal) and less complicated the design, the less the setting costs. I believe the setting fee is also slightly less, but not by a lot. Are you referring to white gold or platinum?

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Though Stuller seems to be the most common supplier for jewelers, you can''t find out the prices unless you ask a jeweler. But I found that Tripp''s pricing is fairly similar, at least for the Stuller items that I inquired about. So you can see the type of setting that you''re interested in and the approximate cost for the metal mounting. (Also makes you think about using sterling silver settings instead of gold with the current prices for gold.
20.gif
)

When I was talking to a jeweler this weekend about their setting costs, they said $25-35 (I''m assuming per stone). But this is for very simple stuff...like prong setting a stud earring. I imagine that for more elaborate settings the price will go up correspondingly. Also, if you have a multi-stone idea in mind (either small melee stones or multiple larger ones) then that will also increase your price.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results