shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant poll

Which pendant would you get if you were me?

• bezel with inside-only milgrain

Votes: 20 80.0%
  • antique style 4-prong that could be hung on a DBY chain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • halo style from BGD or Bev K, etc.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Van Craeynest

Votes: 1 4.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Every time I think I have decided about this, I have second thoughts. So I just thought I'd see what other people would do!

I have a 6mm, @ .82 ct. stone (after recutting by BG) from my mother that I want to reset into a pendant to be passed down in the family. I dress very casually most of the time since I am not working. I could wear a dressier pendant once a week at most when I wear better casual clothes. I do have other pendants, though, so I am not necessarily needing one to wear all the time.

My pros and cons:

Bezel...practical, pretty, good for any attire, bezel makes stone look larger, but not exactly an heirloom setting

antique style 4 prong..good because I could switch chains, might make stone look small with nothing around it

halo... pretty but maybe too dressy

Van Craeynest... definitely an heirloom, not wearable daily, expensive

I will post pictures of the options in the next post.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OK I voted for bezel pendant (before seeing pics) because I think it is the most wearable (and also because I want one :devil: ) But I think you can certainly pass down a beautiful bezel pendant! Especially if you get some detailing on the back (I am not sure what this is called...but that could make it more special?)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1302711767|2895007 said:
OK I voted for bezel pendant (before seeing pics) because I think it is the most wearable (and also because I want one :devil: ) But I think you can certainly pass down a beautiful bezel pendant! Especially if you get some detailing on the back (I am not sure what this is called...but that could make it more special?)

Funny you wrote that because I was just writing on the picture page that I would redesign the back to make it prettier!

Thanks, slg! I do think the bezel pendants are beautiful and timeless! I'd just like to get this right the first time! lol!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
BEZEL!!! But I'd get several different jump rings put in so you can wear it at different lengths & layer with other necklaces if you wish. It's just the most classic, wearable choice. No brainer!!! :tongue: :devil: :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1302712208|2895019 said:
BEZEL!!! But I'd get several different jump rings put in so you can wear it at different lengths & layer with other necklaces if you wish. It's just the most classic, wearable choice. No brainer!!! :tongue: :devil: :bigsmile:

You get credit for the inside-only milgrain, Deco!!! I have always loved it since seeing yours!!!! Of course, that may mean I have to get a little pair of matching studs.......... :naughty:

Y'all almost have me convinced after only two replies. This is what MrsS thinks is the best choice, too.

Deco...do you think it would work with a DBY chain with tiny bezels or is that too much???

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bezel but NOT attached to the chain. Both of mine flip and it's a pain. One was custom made and the jeweler insisted it would not flip because of where he attached it, but it does. ETA - I sold the other diamond and beforehand was going to reset it into a style that wouldn't flip.

I prefer milgrain.

correction: The custom I had is a diamonds by the yard with the stone attached. It flips and also moves around all over my neck. It constantly needs realignment. I should change the diamond out to a different setting.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1302712440|2895028 said:
Bezel but NOT attached to the chain. Both of mine flip and it's a pain. One was custom made and the jeweler insisted it would not flip because of where he attached it, but it does. ETA - I sold the other diamond and beforehand was going to reset it into a style that wouldn't flip.

I prefer milgrain...mine is the TBTY style.

Good, I wanted a slider.

Gosh, you'd think I'd know all the initials but I can't think what TBTY is???

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1302712587|2895031 said:

Good, I wanted a slider.

You're suppose to read my mind...lol I meant diamonds by the yard. lol Sorry. I'm still waking up. :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted halo, very classy and not too dressy, I wear mine every day.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1302712796|2895034 said:
diamondseeker2006|1302712587|2895031 said:

Good, I wanted a slider.

You're suppose to read my mind...lol I meant diamonds by the yard. lol Sorry. I'm still waking up. :)

Lol! Well good! I couldn't imagine I had missed a whole new jewelry trend! I need to see a picture of yours!!! Do you have one???

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it could work with a DBTY chain LOOKWISE .... but it might affect how the jump rings would work. You'd want the slider pendant to stay centered via gravity between two of the teensy bezeled accents.

I was also thinking that it would look cool on a ROSE gold chain (as I mentioned that idea to someone last night I think). With a slider you could change out chains from time to time.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, here it is. I've posted this image before with my old camera so I need to update the shot so it's not blurry. It's .38

Aside from the sliding, flipping, also the micky mouse ears bug me. I spent a lot on the setting so I've hesitated to switch it, but now it's reached the point that I so rarely wear it, that it doesn't make any sense to keep it as is and have it just sitting there.

I wonder if the actual tiffany brand flips. A friend of mine has a small stone and her pendant NEVER flips.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote Bezel!!!! all the way... But do add some nice detail scroll work filagree perhaps on the side, and of course milgrain... would look stunning! :love:

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, am trying again...

DBTYPS2011.jpg

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
hahaha That is a really bad picture. I really need to update my diamond photos. :) lol

lbbaber

Brilliant_Rock
I vote bezel (or halo)...both can be worn every day. A bezel is a little more practical but if I had a halo pendant I would not hesitate to wear it daily...even as I change baby diapers (my days aren't that exciting right now :roll: ).

You mentioned a bezel not being an heirloom piece but it certainly can be...and think, whoever gets it will be able to wear it all the time and will ALWAYS have you close to their heart. Why make it something that they will only be able to pull out for special occasions? I wish some of the stuff that has been passed down to me was more practical to wear. What I have from my grandmother is only occasionally glanced at :(sad , not usually worn.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1302713545|2895057 said:
I think it could work with a DBTY chain LOOKWISE .... but it might affect how the jump rings would work. You'd want the slider pendant to stay centered via gravity between two of the teensy bezeled accents.

I was also thinking that it would look cool on a ROSE gold chain (as I mentioned that idea to someone last night I think). With a slider you could change out chains from time to time.

I definitely love the jump ring idea and see what you mean about the pendant staying between 2 teeny bezels. Might have to try that out with one of BG's DBY specials and send back if it doesn't work. And I LOVE the rose gold chain idea! Definitely want to be able to switch chains for variety...that way I won't ever get tired of it! Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby- thanks! a halo is a beautiful, classic choice for sure! I'd love to have one even if I make another choice for this stone!

MC- love your pendant and agree that I might be better off with a slider instead of attached chain. Thanks for pic!

D&T- you are reading my mind about the details! I have a similar list made for when I talk to BG!

lbbaber- I love your thinking about the practicality of wear both for me now and for future wearers. I already have some dressy pieces that I never wear so I probably don't need any others!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bezel here too. With milgrain or without. I think it's definitely the most versitile, plus you get a little size boost. Win win.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I voted bezel, could say I am biased as I have the rose gold Barbara From BGD, but I also have bezels around a few other pieces . I love the milgrain, wish I could have done that with mine, but I was so excited that I won it I did not think to ask Brian if I could monkey around with it. I love the rose gold, it is on a 20 inch chain right now and for me that is the perfect length. Years ago I had a smaller .30 yellow gold bezel solitare that was stationary on the chain and it flipped often. This does not.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy- thank you, I value your input!

Elisa- I totally missed your thread because of the hectic holidays!!! Lucky YOU to win that beautiful pendant!!! :love: The rose gold must be spectacular with a D color diamond! I am glad yours works with a 20" chain because I was going to try 18 because I think 16 is too short for me, too!

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I REALLY love the Van Craeynest, but since you wouldn't be comfortable wearing it much I voted for the bezel. It's really nice and you'd be able to wear it with anything. Really versatile design.

So did you post pics/spec of the made-over diamond?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Andelain- I know, I love the VC, too, and I would still keep it on my wishlist if I could someday add another pendant! The stone is not back yet but should be soon! It was 1 ct. before and he projected .82 after. It was worth it to me to turn it into a beautifully cut stone!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't think the VC is too dressy for daily wear - if anything, in my head, a full-fledged DBTY with a large center stone is much dressier! But I'm a big bezel fan, so you won't catch ME criticizing that option. Either way should be a win ... though, in your comments, I'm getting the sense that the VC feels more heirloom-y to you, while the bezel feels more wearable. All depends on which quality you value more, I think - and, frankly, with choices like these, it's not like you can go wrong!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the VC and think it is perfect for everyday wear. It is much elss dressy than a halo. But Halo or VC are my two choices because it makes it more special and heirloom to pass on.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
You already know my thoughts but I voted to add to the bezel total :cheeky: I do love that BK halo though and I'm not sure with a .82 center that it would look overly dressy. Of course the VC would be an heirloom but the price would defer me from that option at least until I win the lottery!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I vote bezel with milgrain and something special done to the back or the halo...with my vote leaning towards the bezel (but I LOVE my BGD handmade fixed bezel, so I am not entirely unbiased:)

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi DS-

I'm also going to vote for the milgrain bezel pendant. I think that look is classic, timesless, and beautiful.
Cant wait to see what you decide on!!!! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I definitely vote bezel (and not even sure about the milgrain) but definitely as a slider - not attached. I had one and I miss it constantly. I sold the piece because the diamond was not of good quality and the jeweler told me I would probably tear the bezel up trying to get the stone out of it. It was beautiful for casual and for dress. I wish now I had kept the darn bezel setting so that someone could have made me another just like it. The outside of it was yellow gold and there was a small white gold band around the stone. It really was very pretty until you looked at the stone up close.

The prong setting is pretty but I don't think you get the wow out of it that you would with a bezel. The VC pendant is pretty but costly as you say and not as functional. As for an heirloom, who knows who will get it and if they would even keep it set the way you have it. They might choose to look at the diamond as the heirloom and reset it in a ring!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results