shape
carat
color
clarity

Pendant or ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Hi guys,

So, I''ve been going back and forth and back and forth about how to set the BB color shift tourmaline. I''m really torn between a ring and a pendant.

Here are pics of the stone:

MVC-150S.JPG

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
color shift

MVC-146S.JPG

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want to enjoy its colour shifting property, then a ring.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
If I were to go the pendant route, I''d want to do something similar to this:

pendant

I haven''t found too many pendant settings that would fit the stone [8mm cushion] that I like.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a pretty neat setting with 8 almost evenly spaced prongs.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
If I did a ring, I''d probably do something really similar to the spinel I just set [a 2.5mm band with .15 tcw of diamonds]. American Set said they could do a 4-prong for a cushion.

However, I am concerned about how secure the stone would be, since tourmaline is softer than the spinel.

Any thoughts?

for tourm.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Karee... I love that stone. This is a pendant that I have been admiring. I believe it''s a PSer''s.

garnetpendant11.jpg

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
I agree, Chrono - the color shift would be best in a ring.

I really like how a square cushion [any type of stone, really - diamonds, gems, etc.] looks on top of a band of diamonds. This band, with .15 tcw, might be too small in proportion to the stone, so I will need to look for a band with larger diamonds.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
oooh, Mochi, that is gorgeous! That is really nice. I LOVE the color of that stone. Do you by chance know what kind of stone that is?

I do like that setting...but I feel like it would limit the wearability of the necklace. I'm in grad school now, so it might look a bit strange to have something that looks that nice to wear around the lab, haha. But it would be perfect if I dressed more formally on a regular basis. :)

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 9:32:42 PM
Author: karee888
oooh, Mochi, that is gorgeous! That is really nice. I LOVE the color of that stone. Do you by chance know what kind of stone that is?

I do like that setting...but I feel like it would limit the wearability of the necklace. I''m a PhD student now, so it might look a bit strange to have something that looks that nice to wear around the lab, haha. But it would be perfect if I dressed more formally on a regular basis. :)

LOL! You''re so funny! I wear a scrub (we call it our working PJ) at work and am limited in what kind of rings I can wear. But I do wear my necklaces with my PJ''s. I believe it''s a garnet. I love that setting and someday I''ll be getting one like it and will be wearing it with my scrubs!
27.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
ooh, what a gorgeous garnet. Sigh. It looks very expensive!

And good for you - wear what you want with the scrubs! :) I feel like I can wear nice rings, but I think a necklace like that would look silly with v-neck t-shirts. Maybe I could get something like that for a graduation present. Only one more year till I''m out! :)

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I like the pendant setting better, but agree with the others that you''d appreciate a color-shift stone (its beautiful, BTW - LOVE those colors
30.gif
) more in a ring...

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much! Barry is SO awesome. The colors are great, saturated, and very dramatic. The color shift is just amazing.

I would probably get more wear out of a ring, I suppose. And then *I* could also appreciate how pretty it is, instead of just other people seeing the necklace, ha ha. :)

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That would be my Umbalite Garnet pendant
5.gif
A real life photo:
IMG_1852.jpg

And funny you guys should say about the pendant being too fancy for everyday wear, as I had the same concern. I had my doubts about putting my favorite stone into a setting that won''t get much use, since I''m such a casual dressed person myself and rarely dress up. But like Mochi, I just wear it under my v-necks and hoodies. Even if it''s completely hidden it makes me feel purdy knowing it''s there
9.gif

But I agree, a color change stone would be lovely as a ring, so you can enjoy it''s fascinating change of colors under different lights throughout the day.

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
OMG, that is so beautiful!!!! Do you wear it often? Wow. It is SO pretty!!

If you don''t mind my asking, what are the measurements of the stone?

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/8/2009 9:47:43 PM
Author: Babyblue033
That would be my Umbalite Garnet pendant
5.gif
A real life photo:
IMG_1852.jpg

And funny you guys should say about the pendant being too fancy for everyday wear, as I had the same concern. I had my doubts about putting my favorite stone into a setting that won''t get much use, since I''m such a casual dressed person myself and rarely dress up. But like Mochi, I just wear it under my v-necks and hoodies. Even if it''s completely hidden it makes me feel purdy knowing it''s there
9.gif

But I agree, a color change stone would be lovely as a ring, so you can enjoy it''s fascinating change of colors under different lights throughout the day.
I hope you don''t mind that I posted your picture. I have your picture saved as a inspiration for the future!
31.gif

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 9:49:08 PM
Author: karee888
OMG, that is so beautiful!!!! Do you wear it often? Wow. It is SO pretty!!

If you don''t mind my asking, what are the measurements of the stone?
Yes I wear it almost daily. I wouldn''t mind having another pendant that''s a little more casual/classic but for now this is my very favorite so I''m trying to get as much use out of it as possible
9.gif

The stone is about 10mm, the biggest one I have.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/8/2009 9:52:04 PM
Author: mochi
I hope you don''t mind that I posted your picture. I have your picture saved as a inspiration for the future!
31.gif
Oh Mochi, don''t be silly! I''m flattered you like it so much
5.gif
That WF photo IMO is not very flattering though
9.gif

Karee888, I have a BB cushion of that same cut that I was considering putting into a simple modern bezel setting. a PSer has one from Etsy which I loved which I''m going to try to find the link right now. It would be a great everyday ring. Although not sure if bezeling would be unflattering for color shifting stone...

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, I''d love to see it! :)

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Just a thought - maybe setting it with tips facing up, down, left and right (instead of sides) would be easier and quite protective (with prongs covering the tips, off course). A split shank of some sort might work great with that. The stone would also seem larger than it actually is. Keep in mind though, that no setting (not even a bezel) will help a tourmaline worn in a ring 24/7 from eventually getting damaged - especially scratched.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think a ring. But I''d want to play with it...

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Oohhh BB I adore your pendant! It was my inspiration to get an umbalite!
30.gif

And karee, I say ring otherwise you won''t get to appreciate the colour shift
5.gif

babysteps

Brilliant_Rock
Would totally do a ring so that I could distract myself with the gorgeous color change! What a great stone, I love it. As an aside, Babyblue what an amazing pendant - I covet it
31.gif
and the umbalite is so rich . . . drool!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
If you want to look at it a lot then a ring. But if you don''t have many pendants and don''t like some place where you wear scarves often ( my big problem) I''d say go with a pendant.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results