color
clarity

Pearls of Joy vs Pearl Paradise vs Tiffany vs Mikimoto

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Unfortunately pearls don't work like diamonds or other hard gems. There's no absolute grading system and many different types and resources. I agree it is a bit overwhelming and muddling. That's why I wrote the book. You don't have to spend $$$/£££ to get pearls which will make you and the recipient very happy.
Top grade freshwater are a match for all but the very best akoya any day. Buy what will be loved and worn, which is not necessarily something which needs an accompanying security guard when it comes out of the bank security box once a decade. Where's the pleasure in that?)

Arthur Kennedy

Rough_Rock
Unfortunately pearls don't work like diamonds or other hard gems. There's no absolute grading system and many different types and resources. I agree it is a bit overwhelming and muddling. That's why I wrote the book. You don't have to spend $$$/£££ to get pearls which will make you and the recipient very happy.
Top grade freshwater are a match for all but the very best akoya any day. Buy what will be loved and worn, which is not necessarily something which needs an accompanying security guard when it comes out of the bank security box once a decade. Where's the pleasure in that?)

Well said!!! I couldn't agree more. In fact, I've decided to just go with AAA freshwater pearls instead just because my tender brain meats (and overextended wallet) can't deal with trying to track down a quality Akoya pearl necklace at a decent price. I wouldn't want less than AAA quality for an Akoya pearl necklace at at least 7-7.5 mm in size, which would probably cost me around $1,000 to $1,400 minimum. And I'm just not willing to pay that amount on top of all the money I've been shelling out for smaller( but truly excellently cut ) diamonds and quality small-ish precious gemstones over the past year. Whew. ‍‍

As I mentioned, I think I'm lucky in that my girlfriend honestly isn't picky. So I think she will be overjoyed with AAA grade freshwater pearls from Pearl Paradise.

Again, thanks so much for your input!

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Well said!!! I couldn't agree more. In fact, I've decided to just go with AAA freshwater pearls instead just because my tender brain meats (and overextended wallet) can't deal with trying to track down a quality Akoya pearl necklace at a decent price. I wouldn't want less than AAA quality for an Akoya pearl necklace at at least 7-7.5 mm in size, which would probably cost me around $1,000 to $1,400 minimum. And I'm just not willing to pay that amount on top of all the money I've been shelling out for smaller( but truly excellently cut ) diamonds and quality small-ish precious gemstones over the past year. Whew. ‍‍

As I mentioned, I think I'm lucky in that my girlfriend honestly isn't picky. So I think she will be overjoyed with AAA grade freshwater pearls from Pearl Paradise.

That's good to hear because 80% of fresh water pearls are from China and this makes me proud of being a Chinese especially fresh water pearls are a more affordable option. With the economy like this, it means more business to my country.

There's really no such thing as a bargain when it comes to akoya and right now, there seems to be a shortage and the price keeps rising.

The good thing about pearls is that not many people care to find out the type of pearls the wearer is wearing so it's completely safe to wear affordable or expensive pearls so it's weird to me that there are people who are afraid of wearing expensive pearls when going out.

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock

You can always go for non-white freshwater pearls... That leaves you open to the possibility of getting AAA akoya in the future and still having a use for the freshwater strand.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
That's good to hear because 80% of fresh water pearls are from China and this makes me proud of being a Chinese especially fresh water pearls are a more affordable option. With the economy like this, it means more business to my country.

There's really no such thing as a bargain when it comes to akoya and right now, there seems to be a shortage and the price keeps rising.

The good thing about pearls is that not many people care to find out the type of pearls the wearer is wearing so it's completely safe to wear affordable or expensive pearls so it's weird to me that there are people who are afraid of wearing expensive pearls when going out.

Exactly! I tell my wife and mother that the pearls get cheaper the more often they use it (laugh) --- Gotta amortize that cost per use!

Mimi002

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello! I am currently looking for a nice pearl necklace but I know nothing about pearls. im just learning about the pearl grading system and I am a bit confused. im looking at Mikimoto's pearls online and their grade is either A or A+ and from my understanding after the research that its the lowest grading but from the thread I am reading that even with that grading they are still the best looking/quality pearls. on the other hand im looking at pearl paradise pearls with AAA grading and they're significantly cheaper. can someone explain that for me?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mimi002,
Unlike diamonds, there is no universal grading system for pearls. Every vendor sets their own standard for what they mean by their grades.
I'm sure you can't go wrong with Mikimoto, same goes for the highest grade pearls from Pearl Paradise.
Some here buy from Takahashi in Japan, and have posted beautiful photos of high luster akoyas.

Prices and conditions for paying, shipping, buying and returns vary from vendor to vendor. For some the brand name is very important.
Do your homework and decide what is most important for you.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
Hello! I am currently looking for a nice pearl necklace but I know nothing about pearls. im just learning about the pearl grading system and I am a bit confused. im looking at Mikimoto's pearls online and their grade is either A or A+ and from my understanding after the research that its the lowest grading but from the thread I am reading that even with that grading they are still the best looking/quality pearls. on the other hand im looking at pearl paradise pearls with AAA grading and they're significantly cheaper. can someone explain that for me?

Each company's grading system cannot be compared to other's unfortunately. Quality wise, a Mikimoto AA will generally be superior based on everything i've seen, to a Pearl Paradise PSL/GIA Hanadama (Better than their AAA grade on website) pearl.

Most JEWELRY at Mikimoto uses A+ graded pearls. A piece at Mikimoto needs to specifically state if it is AA or AAA (Stud earring, bracelet or necklace), otherwise assume it isn't.

In my opinion, to achieve Mikimoto AA (or AAA) quality in the USA, you generally need to be willing to order directly from Asian sources --- or go to Mikimoto and pay Mikimoto prices. Many of us on this forum have ordered from a few Japan based sources with a lot of success and happiness.

If you search on this forum for Japan sources such as Takahashi or GeneralPearl, you should see many threads about their pearls. You can see pictures of their pearls next to Pearl Paradise (Hanadama), pictures of their pearls next to Mikimoto AAA and AA, etc.

You should also explore if you want a whiter body or pinker pearl body. You should explore if you want a pinker overtone or greener overtone (Not the same as body). Depending on those choices, the pearls can feel quite different on your skin tone.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock

Hello, based on your research, it seems like you are looking for an akoya pearl necklace.

When it comes to pearls, you have to believe your eyes and skin. Eyes to look for the shine, colours and smoothness of pearls. Skin to determine whether what you're wearing is authentic pearls or not because authentic pearls are cool to touch. Sometimes when the pearls roll a little bit on your skin, it feels cool.

I have purchased from both Mikimoto and a whole sale company which is based in Hong Kong. It's good to have AAA from Mikimoto but an AA is also good enough based on my observations of my AA bracelet from miki and the Tenyo strand from the whole sale company. The AA bracelet from miki wins in terms of shine(just a tiny bit win), and smoothness (skin of pearls are smooth). Every time I look at the AA, I feel it's so worth it to have it in my collection. The Tenyo strand with PSL certificate is also nice. I wear it all the time and notice the reaction of strangers. Words like "Pearls are trending right now?" "It shines like diamonds " came to my ears. Also, the pearl necklace holds their attention. That's how I know the pearl strand is shiny enough to be noticed. If you're not sure whether you want a mikimoto, you can start with a Tenyo strand with PSL certificate. Pay attention to the nacre thickness. 0.6 mm or above thickness is good enough. It's better to ask vendors to pull out all the akoya strands they have in stock and choose the one that shines the most. As for the pearl size, it's better to go for an 8 mm or above.

For colour of the pearls, pink looks good for warm skin tone and green suits cooler skin tone. I like my pink tone pearls because it lights up my face, adding a bit of blush (make up) on my face.

For other collections from mikimoto, meaning not the 16 or 18" single strand necklaces. Anything that is with diamond clasp or some diamond with it has nicer A+ pearls.

The ideal collection is to have both AAA from Mikimoto and Tenyo from non branded companies with a certificate. Yes, it costs a lot more for a Mikimoto but you won't regret it especially if you can afford it.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to add this comment, as someone who is now living on a modest retirement budget and who is no longer splurging on pricey jewelry. (Too many home repairs waiting to be done!)

Everyone has their own budget. Not everyone can afford tippy top pearls, but you can still buy very nice pearls on a more modest budget. AAA and AA pearls are beautiful, no question, but A+ pearls and their equivalent from other vendors are also beautiful! Those grades are all lustrous. It's just a question of degree. But the higher the grade, the scarcer the pearls, and so the higher the price. So buyers have to decide how much they are willing to pay for that incremental increase in grade.

I agree that sizes over 8mm are very, very nice. I prefer them, myself. But with akoyas, there is a significant price jump at 8mm.
Necklaces size 7.0mm-7.5mm and 7.5mm-8.0mm are also classic, will look great on many ladies' necks, but cost significantly less.

Just food for thought. =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am going to add this comment, as someone who is now living on a modest retirement budget and who is no longer splurging on pricey jewelry. (Too many home repairs waiting to be done!)

Everyone has their own budget. Not everyone can afford tippy top pearls, but you can still buy very nice pearls on a more modest budget. AAA and AA pearls are beautiful, no question, but A+ pearls and their equivalent from other vendors are also beautiful! Those grades are all lustrous. It's just a question of degree. But the higher the grade, the scarcer the pearls, and so the higher the price. So buyers have to decide how much they are willing to pay for that incremental increase in grade.

I agree that sizes over 8mm are very, very nice. I prefer them, myself. But with akoyas, there is a significant price jump at 8mm.
Necklaces size 7.0mm-7.5mm and 7.5mm-8.0mm are also classic, will look great on many ladies' necks, but cost significantly less.

Just food for thought. =)2

very valid points
may i just add out in the real world most of our friends and relatives have no idea what a really top notch pearl looks like
a lot of regular people also couldnt pick a real pearl from a faux pearl either
ive spent the last 6 years being down in the mouth my very modest collectionn (not including very lovely gifts from very kind generouse PSer) is nowhere near PC quality - how dumb that was !
also everything looks nicer nicely knotted
IMHO its not like buying and wasting money on a really cra**y diamond

my pearls look at least as good as 90% of the stuff in the main street and mall jewler in my town
but as @pearlsngems says if you look on the internet there are indded a lot of very lovely pearls at very reasonable prices
and yes opearl shrinkage is definatly a thing but smaller can look very classic

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
When it comes to whether people know the grandes of pearls you are wearing, it depends on geographic location you are in.

I have worn my strand both to a city where jewellery shows is held 3 or 4 times a year and also to another city where fresh water pearls are popular and what most people can afford. In the city where fresh water pearls are popular, people hardly pay attention while in the former location, people do notice.

Anyway, we all buy things to enjoy and wear. I have no idea this type of topic would cause such heated arguments and it goes on and on.

It's just like lab grown diamonds, some people think the lab grown diamonds are as fabulous as the natural diamonds. Basically, they think that as long as people are not looking at the diamonds using a loupe, it's the same.

All I can advise is that if you have the non branded strand and always wonder if you are missing out by not having the branded one. To avoid regrets, it's better to buy the branded one as well. Better late than sorry.

If you always post in the forums, and ask for advice and always are looking for reassurance that non branded strands are nice enough, then that's another sign that you want a branded strand eventually in a subconscious mind.

Buy what you like and can afford.

Last edited:

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
When it comes to whether people know the grandes of pearls you are wearing, it depends on geographic location you are in.

I have worn my strand both to a city where jewellery shows is held 3 or 4 times a year and also to another city where fresh water pearls are popular and what most people can afford. In the city where fresh water pearls are popular, people hardly pay attention while in the former location, people do notice.

Anyway, we all buy things to enjoy and wear. I have no idea this type of topic would cause such heated arguments and it goes on and on.

It's just like lab grown diamonds, some people think the lab grown diamonds are as fabulous as the natural diamonds. Basically, they think that as long as people are not looking at the diamonds using a loupe, it's the same.

All I can advise is that if you have the non branded strand and always wonder if you are missing out by not having the branded one. To avoid regrets, it's better to buy the branded one as well. Better late than sorry.

If you always post in the forums, and ask for advice and always are looking for reassurance that non branded strands are nice enough, then that's another sign that you want a branded strand eventually in a subconscious mind.

Buy what you like and can afford.

I get brands, I do. I bought my wife a Hermes bracelet recently, they only had 3 left in the USA when I got it --- Was so scared they would run out. I love it, i've been looking at bracelets for her for months until I finally found this one --- so hard to find a good one. I'd never touch their handbags with a 30 foot pole but this one felt like a decent value.

People should buy what is most mind clean for them and what makes them appreciate the piece of jewelry the most.

Personally I just have a hard time with brands that somehow convert what should be a pure commodity (Diamonds, Pearls, etc) into a "branded piece" --- at least when the "intrinsic value" (in my mind) comes from the commodity component of the piece.

I guess that's why I never got my wife a tiffany ring either (chuckle)...Although they surely do a great job with their delicate designs.

Ultimately, it all comes down to being mind clean. Is a Van Cleaf clover pendant worth anything close to what they charge? Heck no, but am I getting a Van Cleaf piece for my wife's birthday? Yes (chuckle)...

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
I get brands, I do. I bought my wife a Hermes bracelet recently, they only had 3 left in the USA when I got it --- Was so scared they would run out. I love it, i've been looking at bracelets for her for months until I finally found this one --- so hard to find a good one. I'd never touch their handbags with a 30 foot pole but this one felt like a decent value.

People should buy what is most mind clean for them and what makes them appreciate the piece of jewelry the most.

Personally I just have a hard time with brands that somehow convert what should be a pure commodity (Diamonds, Pearls, etc) into a "branded piece" --- at least when the "intrinsic value" (in my mind) comes from the commodity component of the piece.

I guess that's why I never got my wife a tiffany ring either (chuckle)...Although they surely do a great job with their delicate designs.

Ultimately, it all comes down to being mind clean. Is a Van Cleaf clover pendant worth anything close to what they charge? Heck no, but am I getting a Van Cleaf piece for my wife's birthday? Yes (chuckle)...

This is funny. I thought this is a thread about pearls.

And what you get for your family is purely your own choice or maybe your loved one's choice. No one here is gossiping about what you need to get for your loved ones.

People have long been fascinated with brands for a long time. In old days, only the very wealthy could afford brands. You can also look at the monuments built by kings, that's the old way of personal branding.

Not gonna get distracted by other items or better yet, set aside some funds for both pearls and vca.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
This is funny. I thought this is a thread about pearls.

And what you get for your family is purely your own choice or maybe your loved one's choice. No one here is gossiping about what you need to get for your loved ones.

People have long been fascinated with brands for a long time. In old days, only the very wealthy could afford brands. You can also look at the monuments built by kings, that's the old way of personal branding.

Not gonna get distracted by other items or better yet, set aside some funds for both pearls and vca.

Fair enough, the brands discussion is definitely a tangent from the pearls discussion --- It just resonated with thoughts I was having when I read your post talking about brands.

The point I was trying to make in my post, and seemingly failed, was the Mind Clean aspect of things being the most important in my opinion --- so as to not detract from the enjoyment of the piece.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
you know, and this also isnt strickly about pearls either
but i hate when royal ladies wear branded jewlery, i want bespoke, artisain crafted or inherited historic pieces only and with maximum wattage so i dont need my specs to see them, oh and the odd highly significant gifted brooch is always welcome
and dear Catherine, pearls are not just for funerals
Of course im hiding this comment here so Queen Cam never sees it :lol-2:

and who has the Queen Anne and Queen Caroline pearl necklaces now -? it must be Cam because they are hierllooms of the crown so not Princess Anne, and as the late Queen once said, pearls need to be worn so someone hurry up and wear them
maybe they are out for restringing

1705459297217.jpeg

and i have no crediability in any kind of argument whatsoever on quality as i wore my mall jewler freshwater pearls to work yesterday
:lol:

as always excuse my spelling, ive actually came home sick from work today due to the heat, please send snow now !

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fair enough, the brands discussion is definitely a tangent from the pearls discussion --- It just resonated with thoughts I was having when I read your post talking about brands.

The point I was trying to make in my post, and seemingly failed, was the Mind Clean aspect of things being the most important in my opinion --- so as to not detract from the enjoyment of the piece.

no harm down, its when you talk about pearls in the other forums on PS that you get in the proverbial

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Being sarcastic can be fun but it can be interpreted as online abuse.

At least I have the confidence and courage to admit that I cannot afford the haute couture from big brand companies such as Cartier and VCA instead of being sarcastic and bitter about other people's choices. One needs not need to be a royal in order to wear high quality items. Physical freedom means more. Of course, not forgetting about financial freedom. Luckily nowadays, most of the middle working class can afford nice things such as perfume, jewellery or cashmere clothing, that's why people should cherish the era that they are in. At the same time, I get why some people hate brands because to a certain degree, brands can destroy small business or small family run business.

Anyway, there are more understanding folks out there in another forum talking about vca.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Being sarcastic can be fun but it can be interpreted as online abuse.

At least I have the confidence and courage to admit that I cannot afford the haute couture from big brand companies such as Cartier and VCA instead of being sarcastic and bitter about other people's choices. One needs not need to be a royal in order to wear high quality items. Physical freedom means more. Of course, not forgetting about financial freedom. Luckily nowadays, most of the middle working class can afford nice things such as perfume, jewellery or cashmere clothing, that's why people should cherish the era that they are in. At the same time, I get why some people hate brands because to a certain degree, brands can destroy small business or small family run business.

Anyway, there are more understanding folks out there in another forum talking about vca.

i dont do sarcasium not even 1 %
not only do i consider it the lowest form of wit but usually i dont even understand it, and i certaininy cant not do it on purpose
like my bad spelling, my inability to get sacasium is a symdom of dysgraphia

i hope i have misunderstood because never in my whole on-life have i ever been accused of online abuse and this is not my only on line community
i have been around PS long enough for many long time posters including the pearl forum to testify that i would never mean any hard to anybody

and i am certainly not bitter, i take real offence to that as i very much enjoy other's people's bling no matter the price, otherwise i wouldn't be here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
i dont do sarcasium not even 1 %
not only do i consider it the lowest form of wit but usually i dont even understand it, and i certaininy cant not do it on purpose
like my bad spelling, my inability to get sacasium is a symdom of dysgraphia

i hope i have misunderstood because never in my whole on-life have i ever been accused of online abuse and this is not my only on line community
i have been around PS long enough for many long time posters including the pearl forum to testify that i would never mean any hard to anybody

and i am certainly not bitter, i take real offence to that as i very much enjoy other's people's bling no matter the price, otherwise i wouldn't be here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IGNORE the comments! I have no idea what was misinterpreted!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone who feels abused or otherwise unhappy is free to leave the conversation at any time. That’s all this is: A conversation.

Unfortunately this poster has a history of misinterpreting others’ statements and turning said misunderstandings into pillars of martyrdom. Nothing to be done about it but move on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results