shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls of Joy vs Pearl Paradise Dangle Earring Comparison

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,

I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season! I ordered a few pairs of dangle earrings from POJ and PP and thought I’d share my comparison here.

The earrings:
Pair 1: 7.5-8mm Freshadama Dangle Earrings in YG from PP

Pair 2: 7.5-8mm Akoya Dangle Earrings in YG from POJ

Pair 3: 7.5-8mm Akoya Dangle Earrings in YG from PP
IMG_5222.jpeg

Impressions:

Pair 1: PP Freshadamas-white and silvery (as I requested) with a very nice luster. Well-matched, but visibly smaller than the other two pairs.

Pair 2: POJ Akoyas-They were well-matched, with a pretty pink sheen, but they were the least lustrous of the three pairs. They photograph well, but the POJ Akoyas were rather dull, at least compared to the other two.

Pair 3: PP Akoyas-Based on the luster, I would say these were the best of the bunch. However, the pearls were discernibly mismatched. One pearl was much pinker and smaller than the other. The difference in size and color was readily apparent even on my ears, when separated by my head. I’m not sure how this could have passed any QC and am disappointed.

IMG_5229.jpeg

I would have kept the PP Freshadamas if they were a bit larger or the PP Akoyas if they were evenly matched. But alas, all three pairs are going back.

I'll say that I have made purchases with both vendors in the past with good results so I am not deterred from ordering from either of them again in the future. However, I've made a mental note to be specific about what I want for future orders.

Last edited:

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When there is a size range, some of the pearls/ pairs will be on the smaller end of the range and some on the higher end. You could request Freshadamas on the higher end of the range if you like them otherwise. That said, I own a pair of Freshadamas like that setting in 8-9mm (a range the were selling back in 2007) and find the pearls too small for a dangle, at least in comparison with the size of my lobes.

I'm curious, what was the stated quality of the akoyas? I see the color difference between the 2 PP pearls and agree the matching isn't ideal.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
When there is a size range, some of the pearls/ pairs will be on the smaller end of the range and some on the higher end. You could request Freshadamas on the higher end of the range if you like them otherwise. That said, I own a pair of Freshadamas like that setting in 8-9mm (a range the were selling back in 2007) and find the pearls too small for a dangle, at least in comparison with the size of my lobes.

The 7.5-8mm definitely looked smaller than I anticipated. I have a pair of 7.5-8mm Freshadama studs which I feel are a nice size for everyday wear, but the dangles lacked a bit of something.

I'm curious, what was the stated quality of the akoyas? I see the color difference between the 2 PP pearls and agree the matching isn't ideal.

Both the POJ and PP Akoyas were AAA quality. I'm not terribly familiar with Akoyas but there was a marked difference between the POJs and the PPs in the pairs I received.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly I'd expect better matching for AAA earrings. Hopefully those were an aberration.

I can wear small studs, but my favorite size is 10.5-11mm. My lobes can support them.

For dangles, I really need the pearls to be at least 10-11mm, and I prefer drop shapes (so, not akoyas.) My favorite dangle drops are 12-13mm, which feel just perfect-- not too heavy, not too large. At this size I don't experience PSS (Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome.) :lol:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree you should return the three pair. The matching on the third pair is very poor. AAA should be the same size, excellent lustre and colour matched.

I would message PP tell them you are returning them and request a perfectly matched pair . They can send a photo prior to mailing. PP has excellent customer service.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
@pearlsngems I like the idea of the drop shapes! Do you have any earshots?

@katbran Unfortunately, I am only stateside for the holidays. I know PP does international shipping but I like to avoid customs when possible. I do plan on trying to order again the next time I'm here, but will remember to follow your advice then!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This will give you an idea of size and how they look on a large ear lobe. Your mileage may vary if your ear lobe is small!

Note that the pearl measurement refers to the width perpendicuar to the drill hole-- so a 10mm drop or oval pearl is a larger pearl than a 10mm round pearl.

These are my favorites, 12-13mm, from ROLAY on Etsy (same company as Pearl Society on eBay). He also sells drop earrings with fancier settings but I love the simplicity of these and find them very comfortable and not too heavy. I go everywhere with them-- even Walmart!

dangle GSS earrings posted on PS.jpeg

I also love these: WSS in the 10-11mm range, from PP some years ago. This was the "Darling" setting but I don't know if they have that in stock any more. I find they go very well with all my other white pearls, including my baroque akoyas.

WSS drop earrings from PP, %22Darling%22 setting.jpg

I bought these 8mm metallic FW drops from PP some years ago, but the ear wire was very thin and one fell out of my ear and was lost. In retrospect I think 8mm drops are too small for my ears anyway.
But metallic white FW drops are a nice alternative to SSP if price is a concern, and they do come in larger sizes. Ask for photos first, see if they match well.

8mm metallic white FW drop earrings posted on PS.jpeg

I also have some Tahitian drops that I wire wrapped myself but have not photographed them.
I'm a big fan of drops! :)

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, kipari! =)

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @boxbits, very informative! I just opened my pair of AAA Akoya earrings from POJ this morning so worried the luster isn’t top notch lol. Are the AAA grades standard across vendors? Have your past purchases with POJ been fine?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Pearl grading is subjective, not objective. That means it all depends on who is doing the grading and their standards.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
This will give you an idea of size and how they look on a large ear lobe. Your mileage may vary if your ear lobe is small!

Note that the pearl measurement refers to the width perpendicuar to the drill hole-- so a 10mm drop or oval pearl is a larger pearl than a 10mm round pearl.

These are my favorites, 12-13mm, from ROLAY on Etsy (same company as Pearl Society on eBay). He also sells drop earrings with fancier settings but I love the simplicity of these and find them very comfortable and not too heavy. I go everywhere with them-- even Walmart!

dangle GSS earrings posted on PS.jpeg

I also love these: WSS in the 10-11mm range, from PP some years ago. This was the "Darling" setting but I don't know if they have that in stock any more. I find they go very well with all my other white pearls, including my baroque akoyas.

WSS drop earrings from PP, %22Darling%22 setting.jpg

I bought these 8mm metallic FW drops from PP some years ago, but the ear wire was very thin and one fell out of my ear and was lost. In retrospect I think 8mm drops are too small for my ears anyway.
But metallic white FW drops are a nice alternative to SSP if price is a concern, and they do come in larger sizes. Ask for photos first, see if they match well.

8mm metallic white FW drop earrings posted on PS.jpeg

I also have some Tahitian drops that I wire wrapped myself but have not photographed them.
I'm a big fan of drops! :)

Oh my goodness, these are gorgeous! Thank you for sharing, @pearlsngems! I love the color of the Rolays and the luster on both the PPs! You’ve convinced me to try larger pearls. My lobes are on the smaller side (the picture below is an earshot of the 7.5-8mm Freshadama studs), but I absolutely love the way the 10+ pearls look on you. Screenshotting all of these for inspiration for the future.

IMG_5292.jpeg

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @boxbits, very informative! I just opened my pair of AAA Akoya earrings from POJ this morning so worried the luster isn’t top notch lol. Are the AAA grades standard across vendors? Have your past purchases with POJ been fine?

I had a non-gem grade freshwater necklace from POJ which I liked very much, but no longer have it to compare to my other pearls. This was my first foray into Akoyas from any brand and, again, found the POJs to be lacking. I've found it difficult to photograph the differences between the POJs and PPs, but difference in luster is stark to the naked eye. That said, POJ has a good reputation on this board, so I'm not discouraged from trying them again in the future.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@boxbits, the 7.5-8.0mm studs look really good on your ear lobe! This is what my 7.5-8.0mm metallic white studs from PP look like on my lobe-- I do wear them, but they are quite small looking! I generally add a stud in my 2nd piercing when wearing these.

7.5-8.0mm metallic white studs from PP posted on PS.jpeg

Now here are my 10.8mm GSS studs from Cees Van Oije-- not a bit too large for my lobe!
It's all about proportion....

GSS studs from Cees posted on PS.jpeg

Here are the 8.0-9.0mm PP dangles... underwhelming on my large lobe, but probably just fine on a small lobe. Proportions!

Freshadama 8.0-9.0mm dangles posted on PS.jpeg

Last edited:

amoline

Shiny_Rock
As was mentioned before, pearl grading is subjective, and to add another bit of confusion to the mix, all grading really is vendor specific.

That means a vendor has AAA pearls and all it really means is it is the best that they, specifically, carry and not necessarily the best pearls that one could find. There are some truly exquisite pearls out there, and they are specialty items -- identically matched for pairs/strands, and can be rarely available and very expensive, so not what an average customer is looking for. Now certainly any trusted vendor could find something truly above and beyond for you, but it would command a quite premium price as well.

Akoya pearls are also quite tricky and can vary in quality harvest to harvest, vendor to vendor, etc. Keep in mind also that even "pretty good" luster pearls look just fine when you're not comparing them side by side to something else. When worn on your ear, they'll just look like nice earrings. It can be difficult not to fall into the trap of wanting to find the MOST lustrous pearls, but I admit that the search is half the fun. Prioritize luster over matching - for earrings, since pearls are worn apart, most people couldn't tell the difference, much less care.

My mother has smaller ears, and 8.5-9.0 looks like a significant size on her. Anything above 11 is pretty droopy/unwearable in a stud design.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
@boxbits, the 7.5-8.0mm studs look really good on your ear lobe! This is what my 7.5-8.0mm metallic white studs from PP look like on my lobe-- I do wear them, but they are quite small looking! I generally add a stud in my 2nd piercing when wearing these.

7.5-8.0mm metallic white studs from PP posted on PS.jpeg

Now here are my 10.8mm GSS studs from Cees Van Oije-- not a bit too large for my lobe!
It's all about proportion....

GSS studs from Cees posted on PS.jpeg

Here are the 8.0-9.0mm PP dangles... underwhelming on my large lobe, but probably just fine on a small lobe. Proportions!

Freshadama 8.0-9.0mm dangles posted on PS.jpeg

You are making me want to use all my Pearl Points with PP, @pearlsngems! Especially with those metallic FWs. :kiss2: I love all the sizes on you. They provide different looks while still maintaining elegance. Thanks again for sharing!

boxbits

Shiny_Rock

I tried to take better pictures for you to show the differences between the PPs and the POJs, but my iphone made both pairs look the same. Again, I don't know much about Akoyas, but the PPs had a glassy texture while the POJs actually looked a bit rough. As @amoline pointed out (thank you for the information above!), I'm not sure I would have noticed anything if I didn't have something to compare the POJs to. However, once I saw the difference, I couldn't "unsee" it.

RayRay

Shiny_Rock
Thank you @boxbits! I’m a day away from the return window and they were a good price, so I’m going to keep them...can always buy multiple pairs and gift them to one of my two girls later on ❤️

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@boxbits -- If you end up buying the metallic white drops on French wire hook, I strongly suggest wearing a silicone stopper on the back of the wire to keep it from slipping out of your ear.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results