shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls from the 1930’s

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I took the below stand of pearls to a local jeweller to see if they were real after my daughter did the rub against the front teeth trick. The jeweller said that they were real saltwater pearls from the 1930’s. These would be my grandmothers and most likely last worn 40 years ago and since then then have been stored in my late mums jewellery box.
I collected them yesterday after they had been restrung. But now looking at them closely, they seem quite dirty around the holes. Should I do anything to clean them up? I have read that I should just wear them as skin oils help.

49B93933-EEE0-40A3-B9FC-53B7E4066AFE.jpeg FEB47555-2C6A-4BD1-985C-75116A188201.jpeg D20F86F1-251C-4846-83C3-0A5BFCADC367.jpeg D10A41B8-DB5A-4B4E-AC8C-62CC1966C451.jpeg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are interesting. It looks like maybe they were baroque-shaped to begin with, and were cut/ground on the ends to look more round?
I wonder why they weren't cleaned when they were restrung. ???
That would have made sense!
In order to clean them properly now, you would have go between each pearl with a Q-tip or other small soft tool and gently rub the grime off. This would be tedious! And these pearls look rather small, so it would be a challenging job, but not impossible.

Pearls can be dipped in mild soapy water for cleaning, and then each pearl wiped carefully. I did that once, but that would be for a really dirty old strand. Yours is not that bad.
You really don't want to get the string wet, if it can be avoided.
I might return them to the person who restrung, and ask them to do it!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, the best time to clean them is before restringing. However, unless the stringer was specifically instructed to clean them (which is additional work), they had no reason to do so, and may have felt that it was risky-- that it could cause chipping of the nacre.

You could:

1. Return them to be cleaned and then restrung again. This is the priciest option.

2. Clean them yourself by soaking the pearls in warm soapy water for 15 minutes, then using a tiny interdental brush or a wooden toothpick to get the grime off. Then rinse and wrap the pearls in a towel and allow to dry thoroughly before wearing. This option costs nothing, but you might not get all the grime off (the recessed areas are hard to reach) and wetting the thread, if it's silk, may cause it to stretch and form gaps. (Hence the need to let the silk dry thoroughly before wearing.)

3. Cut the pearls apart (I use a razor type craft knife) and string them onto a length of white cotton thread. Soak them in warm mild soapy water for 15 minutes, then rub them back and forth along the thread to remove the grime that is just inside the drill holes. Use a soft microfiber cloth, a soft brush, or a wooden toothpick to carefully remove any residual grime.

Then restring them yourself. This isn't hard, especially if you use a synthetic thread like Beaders Secret (use the finest thickness). This slippery thread makes the knots slide easily into place without tools. On the other pearl forum there are tutorials. You already have a clasp so all you need is thread, a flexible wire needle, and some gimp/French wire (for a professional looking finish at the clasp.) As far as tools, all you need is wire cutters or cuticle trimmers to cut the gimp, and something to cut the knots apart with. I use a cheap razor type craft knife.
Anyone can do it. =)2

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
These are interesting. It looks like maybe they were baroque-shaped to begin with, and were cut/ground on the ends to look more round?
I wonder why they weren't cleaned when they were restrung. ???
That would have made sense!
In order to clean them properly now, you would have go between each pearl with a Q-tip or other small soft tool and gently rub the grime off. This would be tedious! And these pearls look rather small, so it would be a challenging job, but not impossible.

Pearls can be dipped in mild soapy water for cleaning, and then each pearl wiped carefully. I did that once, but that would be for a really dirty old strand. Yours is not that bad.
You really don't want to get the string wet, if it can be avoided.
I might return them to the person who restrung, and ask them to do it!

I agree, the best time to clean them is before restringing. However, unless the stringer was specifically instructed to clean them (which is additional work), they had no reason to do so, and may have felt that it was risky-- that it could cause chipping of the nacre.

You could:

1. Return them to be cleaned and then restrung again. This is the priciest option.

2. Clean them yourself by soaking the pearls in warm soapy water for 15 minutes, then using a tiny interdental brush or a wooden toothpick to get the grime off. Then rinse and wrap the pearls in a towel and allow to dry thoroughly before wearing. This option costs nothing, but you might not get all the grime off (the recessed areas are hard to reach) and wetting the thread, if it's silk, may cause it to stretch and form gaps. (Hence the need to let the silk dry thoroughly before wearing.)

3. Cut the pearls apart (I use a razor type craft knife) and string them onto a length of white cotton thread. Soak them in warm mild soapy water for 15 minutes, then rub them back and forth along the thread to remove the grime that is just inside the drill holes. Use a soft microfiber cloth, a soft brush, or a wooden toothpick to carefully remove any residual grime.

Then restring them yourself. This isn't hard, especially if you use a synthetic thread like Beaders Secret (use the finest thickness). This slippery thread makes the knots slide easily into place without tools. On the other pearl forum there are tutorials. You already have a clasp so all you need is thread, a flexible wire needle, and some gimp/French wire (for a professional looking finish at the clasp.) As far as tools, all you need is wire cutters or cuticle trimmers to cut the gimp, and something to cut the knots apart with. I use a cheap razor type craft knife.
Anyone can do it. =)2

Thank you both. I didn’t ask for them to be cleaned when I took them into be restrung. Originally I thought they were just costume jewellery so I wasn’t going to do anything with them! Then it turns out they are real!
I don;t fancy restringing them again myself so I will try the gentle wash for 15 minutes first.
The clasp is a new addition and is not the most dainty or pretty, so I may search for a nice one and eventually change the clasp over.
The pearls range is size from about 4 or 5 mm down to 2mm and they are about 40cm long.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Cleaning and checking the clasp should be part of the re-string process. What sort of professional sends dirty pearls back? It just takes a few minutes and is the first thing we do. Then check the clasp to make sure the spring close isn't failing (no point in stringing a clasp which is about to break) then re-string.
The important thing if you wash them yourself is to get them dry as quickly as possible. If the silk insie each pearl stays wet it will start to rot, like any silk would. The pearls don't mind being wet. The silk really does

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
Cleaning and checking the clasp should be part of the re-string process. What sort of professional sends dirty pearls back? It just takes a few minutes and is the first thing we do. Then check the clasp to make sure the spring close isn't failing (no point in stringing a clasp which is about to break) then re-string.
The important thing if you wash them yourself is to get them dry as quickly as possible. If the silk insie each pearl stays wet it will start to rot, like any silk would. The pearls don't mind being wet. The silk really does
When I wash them myself, would you suggest that I dry them with the hairdryer on low ? Or leave them to dry outside on a really sunny day ?

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Neither. Lay them on top of a soft towel and let them dry naturally indoors.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd put them somewhere with a good flow of warm air and on a paper towel (check it for dampness and change it if necessary). Open window but out of direct sunlight.
Mind you I'd take them back to the shop first
Ask if they clean a diamond ring which has been resized and when they say yes ask them why they've returned dirty pearls to you.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I'd put them somewhere with a good flow of warm air and on a paper towel (check it for dampness and change it if necessary). Open window but out of direct sunlight.
Mind you I'd take them back to the shop first
Ask if they clean a diamond ring which has been resized and when they say yes ask them why they've returned dirty pearls to you.
The jeweller I took them to doesn’t actually do the pearls they are out sourced to a lady that does. I Am happy to clean them myself.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Most jewellers outsource stringing. But the shop is still responsible.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
My pearls have a 15 minute wash and clean up with a soft brush and they have cleaned up really well

1C40CD7D-A2ED-43BF-AF60-14C933B47E48.jpeg 5F9EE799-5ECE-49C2-A33A-B1606204FCA0.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results