shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearls for a 50yo?

mattn

Rough_Rock
Greetings, shopping for ideas for wife's 50th next year and pearls are on the list. Is there an "appropriate" size of pearls for 50? Budget is in the 20-30k range. A casual look at: http://www.americanpearl.com/pearlnecklace6.html shows a few options..

Are there any "standard" ways to price pearls?

I'm in nyc so would appreciate any recs for local dealers if anyone has any.

Thanks!

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many of us ladies seem to find that we like larger pearls as we get older. Why not consider some South Sea Pearls or Golden South Sea? Your budget would allow that. [Edit: Whoops, I see you were already looking at SSP!] I would look in the 10mm to 12mm or 13mm range (SSP are typically graduated). I find this size very wearable and not very formal.

American Pearl is located in NYC but I have read that you need an appointment. I do not have personal experience buying from them, but why not go have a look and see what they have? I can certainly understand wanting to see the pearls in person, have her try them on. That's the best way to figure out what size one wants.

Keep in mind that you will pay more in B&M stores than you would from online vendors, due to overhead. I suggest having a look online before going to a B&M store, for comparison. A few vendors you may wish to check out are Pearl Paradise, Pure Pearls, Pearls of Joy, Tahitian Pearls dot biz.

If you decide that buying online might be for you, know that most online vendors have generous return policies. You can phone them to discuss exactly what you are looking for. Also, not all their pearls are up on their websites, so if you don't see the perfect strand for you, ask.

Last edited:

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
If you are thinking of spending so much I would recommend spousal involvement. There is no 'appropriate' size or type for an age, height or colour.
Plus, taste changes. I've recently gone right off large pearls after watching the increasing size of the pearls worn by Theresa May, up to her new ugly but huge waxy lumps

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with the above posts re other vendors such as Pearl Paradise etc. Plus SSP come in various colors I would want input from spouse. Big pearls are heavy so size, length and design are factors to be considered.. Also colors -gold vs white depend upon preference and skin color. Can't wait to see what you buy...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results