shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl stud earring size guide - show me yours!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Bumping this! I’m on the fence about getting a slightly larger pair of Tahitians - I only have Akoyas, and my largest size is my pair of silvery blue Akoyas in size 7.5-8…could I pull off 9-10 Tahitians?

9967C6C5-1CB9-4529-A982-6495DF5DDE9A.jpeg

I think you have enough room on your earlobe if you wanted to go larger. It may or may not look nice with the second piercing in, but from an earlobe size perspective, I think you do have sufficient space for a larger size.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think you have enough room on your earlobe if you wanted to go larger. It may or may not look nice with the second piercing in, but from an earlobe size perspective, I think you do have sufficient space for a larger size.

Thanks so much- I do think you are right the 2nd piercing wouldn’t fit - they weren’t done very well hah!

I might try a pair out…I will definitely share if I do!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Ooooh what a great idea!

I can start! Or happy to shift to a "show me your pearl studs" thread!

Here are my 7mm gem akoyas from @molinePDG ! They are next to 4mm diamond studs. The photo might not be the most helpful in the world....

IMG-5143.jpg

Here is another photo with them compared to antique pearls that I measured with my calipers - a bit over 8mm (approx 8.2mm)

IMG-5126.jpg

Hey @Cerulean i had a question about your gem qualities from Andrew Moline. Are they super shiny? And have you seen any AAA Akoyas from Mikimoto? I can’t remember if it was you or another PSer who just got miki’s. I’m trying to decide which vendor to go with :)

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hey @Cerulean i had a question about your gem qualities from Andrew Moline. Are they super shiny? And have you seen any AAA Akoyas from Mikimoto? I can’t remember if it was you or another PSer who just got miki’s. I’m trying to decide which vendor to go with :)

I don’t mind at all!

I’ve never compared to Mikimotos unfortunately but I would swear @yssie has

I think the luster on them is incredible and the pearls are a perfect match. They far exceed the luster of my other pearls

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two pairs of Miki aaa right now
One mine and one intended to be a gift but, um, yeah…
Have owned/personally seen and compared three pairs of Andrew gemmies
My answer is that it depends on the size you want
Smaller pearls - say <8mm maybe <8.5mm - in absolute-top-of-the-food-chain quality are easier to find than larger (still hard but easier comparatively)
If you want 9mm+ pearls in absolute-top-of-the-food-chain quality I think your only option is miki, singular
Smaller akoya - Andrew can and has matched Miki aaa quality for non-trivially less than Miki aaa pricing
I don’t want to clutter this thread up but if you search my threads in Pearls you’ll get a fair few photos etc

Last edited:

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I have two pairs of Miki aaa right now
One mine and one intended to be a gift but, um, yeah…
Have owned/personally seen and compared three pairs of Andrew gemmies
My answer is that it depends on the size you want
Smaller pearls - say <8mm maybe <8.5mm - in absolute-top-of-the-food-chain quality are easier to find than larger (still hard but easier comparatively)
If you want 9mm+ pearls in absolute-top-of-the-food-chain quality I think your only option is miki, singular
Smaller akoya - Andrew can and has matched Miki aaa quality for non-trivially less than Miki aaa pricing
I don’t want to clutter this thread up but if you search my threads in Pearls you’ll get a fair few photos etc

Thank you @yssie , as always! Your knowledge is fundamental for this forum!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results