carat
color
clarity

Pearl ring - would you keep it?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone!

I bought this pearl ring on ebay and it is lovely but there was some discrepancy as to blemishes. There is a return period of 14 days. I knew about the ones near the bottom from the listing and the decent pics they took. Since they were near the bottom of the setting and not so noticeable I could live with them. But when I got it I noticed there is a blemish on the side right above one of the diamonds. With the price I paid ($500), it being a nice weighty classic setting in platinum (9+g total), and the pearl pretty lovely to my eyes otherwise, would you keep it? I am torn because it is a large pearl at 12.5+mm and the price is less than comparable pre-owned especially for platinum. I guess I could always put another AAA pearl later without having to pay for a new setting. My eye does go right to the blemish if I have it facing toward me lol. And I will have to have the ring sized up one size. I don't think the seller was being misleading in the listing on purpose - maybe they missed this while inspecting for writing the listing.

Thanks for your input!

Listing with more pics - http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-75mm-Natural-South-Sea-Pearl-0-25-Carats-Diamond-Platinum-Ring-SZ-7/172797994637?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

DSCN1903.JPG DSCN1904.JPG DSCN1906.JPG

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would return. Your eyes will always go to that blemish and bother you.

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
You got good advise on Pearl guide.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello RW!!.

Howsoever the ring is beautiful--I agree with BabyMonster--you will always be drawn to that blemish. And in a "single" pearl item...I personally wouldn't want that.

"A deal is only a deal if you get exactly what you want."

cheers--Sharon

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto. As nice as the setting is, those blemishes would bug me. But ymmv so if they don't bug you and you love the setting, then you should keep it (but I don't think you'd be asking if that was the case...)

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I'll say no. Don't keep anything with that niggling doubt unless you think the ring setting is really such a great deal you don't mind removing the current pearl and getting a new one. I would also question the authenticity of the platinum setting unless the seller gave decent evidence or if you can test the setting/metal.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all who posted! I have decided after having the setting checked out to keep it. I love a good project and the pearl is still very pretty after wearing it around all day yesterday and today. I love the setting and it being platinum is a big deal to me. I love platinum and this is a heavy setting in excellent condition. Pearl Paradise has gotten back to me and they will set a new pearl when I am ready and I am sure they will have some perfect beauties for me to pick from when the time comes. For now it is lovely as it is and it is a honking big pearl for me!

Mostly the reason I asked is because I don't know much about pearls at all. Pearl guide was very helpful also.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Good for you! Now you have TWO projects.........:D (new pearl for ring and how to reset the old pearl!!)

cheers--Sharon

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Sharon! It is nice to "see" you too BTW. About the resetting of the old pearl - are they really able to remove pearls from settings like this without damaging them? I did not know this and maybe I will have them put it on a nice pendant bale. Thanks!

NacreLover

Brilliant_Rock
They will probably soak it in attack to loosen the glue. The pearl will not be harmed.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
^ NL. Yup.

There could also be a blemish where the pearl is seated....but no worries. Cross that bridge when you come to it. Pendant designs can be creative!:wavey:

cheers--Sharon

PumpkinOrange

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone!

I bought this pearl ring on ebay and it is lovely but there was some discrepancy as to blemishes. There is a return period of 14 days. I knew about the ones near the bottom from the listing and the decent pics they took. Since they were near the bottom of the setting and not so noticeable I could live with them. But when I got it I noticed there is a blemish on the side right above one of the diamonds. With the price I paid ($500), it being a nice weighty classic setting in platinum (9+g total), and the pearl pretty lovely to my eyes otherwise, would you keep it? I am torn because it is a large pearl at 12.5+mm and the price is less than comparable pre-owned especially for platinum. I guess I could always put another AAA pearl later without having to pay for a new setting. My eye does go right to the blemish if I have it facing toward me lol. And I will have to have the ring sized up one size. I don't think the seller was being misleading in the listing on purpose - maybe they missed this while inspecting for writing the listing.

Thanks for your input!

Listing with more pics - http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-75mm-Natural-South-Sea-Pearl-0-25-Carats-Diamond-Platinum-Ring-SZ-7/172797994637?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

DSCN1903.JPG DSCN1904.JPG DSCN1906.JPG

$500 dollars is very cheap for a South Sea pearl, diamond and platinum ring and it looks heavy. If the pearl is flawless expect to pay more probably double.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results