shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl ring, need info

S

Shiny Black Cat

I need any info on this ring. There is 585 marking. The pearls are pinkish orange, gray and white. Thank you.
IMG_20220323_141500.jpg IMG_20220323_141442.jpg IMG_20220323_141450.jpg IMG_20220323_141526.jpg IMG_20220323_141436.jpg

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that's so pretty
Where did you get it ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
my mother got it as a gift, and then she gifted it to me.

I do really love it

to check the pearls are real (im sure they are) you rub them on the front of your tooth
it will feel gritty
you will know it when you feel it

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This ring is puzzling me.

The body colours are noticeably different - which isn’t the easiest thing to do: It takes a deliberate effort and some specimens to choose from. It seems unlikely someone would take this much effort to select three strongly-differentiated pearls without also choosing pearls of reasonable quality.

However, I don’t see any overtone in any of the pearls, and seems like the lighting should show it if it was there, which suggests that either they’re of quite poor quality or the colour isn’t natural (ie. Dyed/irradiated).

Decades ago (which seems like a reasonable timeline guess based on the style and OP’s mother receiving it as a gift) bead-nucleated freshwaters weren’t a thing. And these pearls look very round. Which means akoya.

But decades ago akoya weren’t artificially coloured subtly. The colours were… Dare I say garish? I’ll say garish.

So I’m going to guess either dyed akoya that have faded (the blue and the yellow in particular), or not actually pearls. But I’m not real confident in this guess. @katbran @Beaders Secret @molinePDG @Pattye any thoughts?

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The peach is classic natural freshwater in colour. I've never seen akoya pearls dyed that colour.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The peach is classic natural freshwater in colour. I've never seen akoya pearls dyed that colour.
So round though. Odds of finding three FW of those sizes that round?

Unless the ring is not old. Or they’re not pearls.

S

Shiny Black Cat

So round though. Odds of finding three FW of those sizes that round?

Unless the ring is not old. Or they’re not pearls.

the ring is about 15 years old.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yes, that would be about right. Round freshwater pearls were available, luster was so-so. We were just graduating from rice crispies. Metallic luster was pretty much unheard of.There have always been round freshwater pearls which have been tissue nucleated. They don't have to have a bead.
They would have been expensive back then due to rarity.
The peach would be a naturally coloured pearl, the gray probably irradiated and the white bleached
The glue is spoiling the look of the ring. They've been set by someone who thinks that when it comes to glue more is more. I'd recommend getting hold of some glue dissolver and re-setting them with a modern adhesive

S

Shiny Black Cat

Yes, that would be about right. Round freshwater pearls were available, luster was so-so. We were just graduating from rice crispies. Metallic luster was pretty much unheard of.There have always been round freshwater pearls which have been tissue nucleated. They don't have to have a bead.
They would have been expensive back then due to rarity.
The peach would be a naturally coloured pearl, the gray probably irradiated and the white bleached
The glue is spoiling the look of the ring. They've been set by someone who thinks that when it comes to glue more is more. I'd recommend getting hold of some glue dissolver and re-setting them with a modern adhesive

thank you=)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I need any info on this ring. There is 585 marking. The pearls are pinkish orange, gray and white. Thank you.
IMG_20220323_141500.jpg IMG_20220323_141442.jpg IMG_20220323_141450.jpg IMG_20220323_141526.jpg IMG_20220323_141436.jpg

I really like the ring
ive saved it for future inspiration
(Because who actually has enough rings or enough pearls around here ;)2

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd agree with Pearlescence - The peachy colour is a classic natural colour for freshwater . Often just a solid colour - probably was lustrous at the time but 15yrs on it may have faded a bit with wear.

The grey would definitely be dyed - freshwater are not naturally grey. And as Yessie said it probably faded. Although I have found that 'dove grey' seems to be the most popular shade that is currently used.

The gold used is often a sign of whether or not the pearls are real...14k would indicate real pearls.

I'm never surprised at average quality pearls being used in jewelry. I had an American customer who paid in 5 figures for a diamond and pearl dangle pair and the WSS used were so ordinary. Basicly they were just round white things. She returned them and the UK jeweller contacted me for a replacement pair at the clients request. Average pearls are often used to either same money/increase profit .... or the jeweller knows nothing about what a good pearl looks like.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd agree with Pearlescence - The peachy colour is a classic natural colour for freshwater . Often just a solid colour - probably was lustrous at the time but 15yrs on it may have faded a bit with wear.

The grey would definitely be dyed - freshwater are not naturally grey. And as Yessie said it probably faded. Although I have found that 'dove grey' seems to be the most popular shade that is currently used.

The gold used is often a sign of whether or not the pearls are real...14k would indicate real pearls.

I'm never surprised at average quality pearls being used in jewelry. I had an American customer who paid in 5 figures for a diamond and pearl dangle pair and the WSS used were so ordinary. Basicly they were just round white things. She returned them and the UK jeweller contacted me for a replacement pair at the clients request. Average pearls are often used to either same money/increase profit .... or the jeweller knows nothing about what a good pearl looks like.

Its so frustrating seeing pearl rings in the jewlers now i am better educated thanks to PS
For the price of the ring it wouldn't cost that much more to put a really nice pearl in it

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

I am starting to really love this ring
id love to see a hand shot if you would like to model it for us

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I’ve got a few inherited pieces that I’ve had cut and acid tested and reality did not match the stamp - not even close!! Stamping whatever someone wants was(is?) definitely a #thing in some parts of the world apparently! So I’ve developed a possibly-unhealthy skepticism of stamps and maker’s marks when I don’t know a piece’s origin :lol:

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve got a few inherited pieces that I’ve had cut and acid tested and reality did not match the stamp - not even close!! Stamping whatever someone wants was(is?) definitely a #thing in some parts of the world apparently! So I’ve developed a possibly-unhealthy skepticism of stamps and maker’s marks when I don’t know a piece’s origin :lol:

Don't feel too bad :lol:
The Queen inherited her imperial state crown and it came with a spinels masquerading as a ruby

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Good point Yssie. I've never had to deal with questionable findings but would certainly be wary of unique or used items.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I often see stamps called hallmarks but they aren't. A hallmark is a series of markings applied to a precious metal piece after assay by an independent organisation. It is a legal requirement for most pieces sold in the UK. My personal and unique hallmark has been registered with the London Assay Office at Goldsmith's Hall for the last 40 years. This is how the saying 'making your mark' came about. Much assaying is still done the traditional way by streak on touchstone. By a person.
You can learn more here

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results