shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Paradise vs Pearls of Joy, Akoya or Freshadama/Gem Grade

GemLoveK

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

New here :) I am deciding between vendors and the types of pearls for a pair of 8mm pearl studs.

I read a few threads, my understanding is that:

1) it seems that while Freshadama is good value and great for every day use , there is no guarantee the two pearls will match perfectly. There is still a small chance there can be small blemish and off round.

2) Akoya AAA seems to have sharper luster but a bit more expensive. It also will wear off overtime. Although I am not sure how long it takes for it to wear off.

3) I notice Pearls of Joy seems a little cheaper than Pearl Paradise? Are they of the same quality?

Wise pearl lovers, what are your thoughts? How are your recent shopping experience with these vendors? I live outside US so would much prefer not to go through the return process.

Thanks for your help!

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Realistically your earrings will be seen by others on your ears and not in the box. So very tiny imperfections at the base of the pearl or a slight colour difference will not be visible. If you want absolute perfection you will need to consider fake pearls
As far as durability goes you can discount wear for akoya earrings - the touch as you put them on or off will not wear them down.
Pearls from those two vendors will be very similar

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live overseas too and have made many purchases from Pearl Paradise. In all that time I’ve only had a couple of issues. One was with the length of time the delivery took (I’d paid for the cheapest postage thinking there was plenty of time before Christmas and ended up waiting nearly 4 weeks for the package to arrive). The other was with the pearl on a baroque South Sea pendant- it was quite blue-grey in tone, not the bright white I’d expected. In retrospect I should have asked them to send me photos of different pearls to choose from. I kept it because of the hassle of returning.

Either of your choices will be fine. Are these your first pearl studs? I’d probably go with the akoyas. It’s a good time to buy as the prices are lower right now.

GemLoveK

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice. :) Yes first pair! It will be my first pearl purchase too! I thought pearl studs would be very versatile. They will be good for work or just every day use.

Just wondering, do they (PP, PoJ) do boxing day deals or it would just be similar to the cyber week discount?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I live in UK and have made multiple purchases from PP, PoJ and TPO (The Pearl Outlet, runs by Jeremy's brother AFAIK) in the past.

Purchases included necklaces from their respective gem-grade lines (it appears TPO has stopped stocking them a while back), and some earrings from PP.

No issues to report, all with good customer services and were able to help me with my requests for silver tones which I preferred.

PP is my go-to vendor, as Jeremy pulled out all the stops to help me with a rush order back in 2008 for a very important event, for which I am very grateful to this day.

Metallic CFWPs are glorious and can rival the best Akoyas, and I prefer the former for their more affordable prices.

CFWPs are also more durable due to thicker nacre layer.

Can two pearls ever be exactly the same, being made by nature? No two natural diamonds are exactly the same for the same reason even if they are cut exactly the same way.

Ask them for photos of the items you would like to purchase beforehand, to check for yourself if they are good matches. Let them know your concerns and I am sure they will do their best to help you.

Good luck!

DK :))

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your advice. :) Yes first pair! It will be my first pearl purchase too! I thought pearl studs would be very versatile. They will be good for work or just every day use.

Just wondering, do they (PP, PoJ) do boxing day deals or it would just be similar to the cyber week discount?

PP do sales throughout the year but I’m not sure if the prices will be any better than now!

GemLoveK

Rough_Rock
It's good to hear from all of you so I have realistic expectations. I never thought of asking for a picture!

I looked for the metallic CFWPs. Looks like PoJ has no stock at the moment. PP only have the Edison pearl studs which is out of my price range.

I love that sharp luster from Akoya seeing the pics from the posts here. In some post it seems freshadama is very close but in some posts it says they are quite different (but both still nice).

I will ask for a picture from PP. PoJ seems to be offline at the moment hasn't responded overnight (my time). Hopefully in time before the sales finish.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with akoyas from either vendor, and for best luster, get the highest grade that is in your budget.

Boxing Day, December 26, isn't a US holiday, so I think this is tthe best price that you are likely to see!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your budget?
What size are you aiming for?
“Best” is very dependent on the above:
The highest grade of akoya will blow gem grade freshwaters out of the water in terms of lustre.
However... those gem grade freshwaters will blow mediocre akoyas out of the water in terms of lustre...

GemLoveK

Rough_Rock
What is your budget?
What size are you aiming for?
“Best” is very dependent on the above:
The highest grade of akoya will blow gem grade freshwaters out of the water in terms of lustre.
However... those gem grade freshwaters will blow mediocre akoyas out of the water in terms of lustre...

My budget can go as far as AAA for Akoya but not the Hanadama grade. I am thinking of 8mm.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think AAA akoya studs will be gorgeous.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My budget can go as far as AAA for Akoya but not the Hanadama grade. I am thinking of 8mm.

Have them send you photos of options. “Metallic” freshwaters can also have delicious lustre.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results