carat
color
clarity

#TBT Pearl & OMC Antique Heirloom Ring

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone! :wavey:

I have posted this in the Pearls forum for some advice on cleaning, but thought i would post it here too.

We sadly lost my Great Aunt at Easter at the very beautiful age of 99. She had no children of her own, and my mother was an only child so they kind of adopted each other upon the death of my grandmother some 35 years ago. She has always been a constant ever since.

Yesterday my mother caught my completely by surprise & gave me a ring, which Aunty had stipulated was to come to me as I had always whipped it from her finger since I was a small child to try it on. I have never owned a real, completely natural pearl before. It is mounted in platinum, surrounded by an blazing halo of Old Mine Cuts. The shank of the ring is 18 carat yellow gold.

Aunty received this ring from her husband for her 25th birthday in 1940 & the paperwork has always been kept with the original box. The first picture shows the original receipt with the purchase date - October 12th 1940. I know she wore this ring for 74 glorious years without damage. She did lose a diamond in 1950 which was replaced immediately, but that has been the only incident. It has really stood the test of time!

This morning I took it to my jeweller to arrange resizing, as it is considerably too big for me (it even slips off my thumb!) & mum would like me to be able to wear it to my 40th Birthday in June as pearl is my birthstone. Although I cried when mum gave this to me, partly because I have such fond memories of my Aunt wearing it & partly because i was stunned & honoured, I am very, very happy to own such a treasure :sun:

Please bare with me a I am having awful issues uploading pictures, but they are following on, I promise!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
With original receipt...

_18720.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next...

_18721.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next...

_18722.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last one :lickout:

_18723.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is lovely and the story/memory is priceless! May you wear it with much health and happiness for at least 74 years!

GCGDanielle

Shiny_Rock
What a remarkable treasure! The ring and its story are absolutely beautiful. I just love that you have the original receipt. So darn cool! :appl: Thanks for sharing.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely ring and made even more so by the feelings and history behind it. You are very lucky to have it! I know you will
treasure it always.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the ring! I also love that you have the original receipt. I hope you wear it for many years too!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful antique treasure and wonderful history and memories to go with it!!!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your beautiful family story. Enjoy wearing your heirloom piece. It's simply stunning.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely family heirloom! It is beautiful! :love: :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely piece. So sweet that it is yours now! :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful treasure and the fact that you have memories of your childhood attached to it makes it so precious. Enjoy it for another lifetime! :love:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring with an even more beautiful story behind it. I love the original box & receipt too! Such a special treasure :love:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Re: Pearl & OMC Antique Heirloom Ring

Beautiful ring and such a touching story. May you always think of the fond memories and times spent with your dear aunt whenever you look down at that wonderful ring!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is awesome! A beautiful treasure from someone so dear. I love how you describe the relationship between she and your mum. It looks delicate but oh so well made. It certainly sounds like your Great Aunt knew its proper owner. :wink2: I hope you wear it and love it - and think of her often.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Must be so wonderful to own such a beautiful heirloom. Congratulations! Wear it well on your 40th birthday. :appl: :appl:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful piece to remember her by! :)

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Happy 40th---what a wonderful treasure with which to cherish and remember your Aunty.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your lovely words! It is such a beautiful ring & I must have always coveted it, as it was the only piece of her amazing collection that I always swooped on! Mother said I was like a Magpie when I was little whenever Aunty wore it :lol:

The good news from my fabulous jeweler yesterday is that the ring had been made considerably bigger than it was intended, and it was "crying out" to be made smaller again. There is a slight almost invisible fracture to the underside of one of the shoulders where it attaches to the head. So making it 5 sizes smaller will be a relief for the poor old ring, I expect! It should be ready for collection next Wed & it will keep its original shank.

I am excited to wear it, even though it does make me a bit teary to actually see it on my own hand knowing that I haven't got to hand it back over, but i'm currently using the very helpful people in the Pearls forum regarding care. It seems it is more delicate than I could ever imagine!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
what a gorgeous ring!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is just beautiful Alex. I :love: it.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
What a lovely story and a gorgeous ring. :love: :love:

alene

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a beautiful ring and what a great story behind it! Enjoy your heirloom!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
I logged in just to tell you how much I love the ring and story. :love:

The receipt adds that special touch too, but the ring on its own is gorgeous. Wear it in good health. And let's see some more pictures!!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beautiful and so special. Can't wait for hand shots!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all, so very much!

I shall be sure to post hand shots next week when it isn't so big on my finger that it can't even hold itself upright!

I am feeling slightly more relaxed about wearing it now, but only on special occasions, my Birthday party being one of them. Mother can't wait to see it fit properly as she has always thought it belonged to my hand, bless her.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
So happy for you! What a beautiful piece of jewelry with so many fond memories attached . You will always feel good wearing it and you will always think of your special aunt when you do! Enjoy it for many many years to come!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful treasure and wonderful reminder of your great aunt! It's so lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results