shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl experts please help me identify this old baby pearl necklace..

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I appreciate the help in identifying what these pearls look like to you. I’m 68 years old now but purchased them when I was in my 30’s for $600..It has a 14k yellow gold clasp. I remember the price because I thought I was being fancy..:lol: The style at that time was little pearl strands worn alone with a sweater..I haven’t worn them in over thirty years. I have no idea what they are. I gave them a swish in mild dishwashing liquid. They may need more thorough cleaning…although they look clean to me..I’ll wear them in a neck mess if they’re not good or alone if they‘re decent. I love the little pearls..They photographed a little more off white than they are..Thank you!
I’m tagging you @Daisys and Diamonds because you asked me about them. ❤️
7A87CEF5-A77B-4744-BCE1-665DF61EC2A2.jpeg

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If all we had were the photo with no history, I would not be able to say definitively if the pearls were akoyas or imitations. They are very uniform looking without overtones. The way they are finished is not consistent with a higher end necklace (no gimp, just the end beads) and a simple filigree fishhook clasp, which is not costly.

However, given your history, the price you paid 30 years ago, and the fact that the clasp is 14k, I'd say they are most likely akoyas. A gold clasp is not definitive, though-- I have 2 Majorica imitation pieces that have 18k clasps!

If in doubt you can try the so-called tooth test. Rub one pearl gently against the edge of your front tooth. It should not scratch the pearls if you are gentle, but even so, I recommend using pearls closer to the clasp for this. Gritty feel = real; smooth feel = imitation.

Small pearls are back in, I think. These are not high end but could be worn alone.
Wear them any way you like!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
If all we had were the photo with no history, I would not be able to say definitively if the pearls were akoyas or imitations. They are very uniform looking without overtones. The way they are finished is not consistent with a higher end necklace (no gimp, just the end beads) and a simple filigree fishhook clasp, which is not costly.

However, given your history, the price you paid 30 years ago, and the fact that the clasp is 14k, I'd say they are most likely akoyas. A gold clasp is not definitive, though-- I have 2 Majorica imitation pieces that have 18k clasps!

If in doubt you can try the so-called tooth test. Rub one pearl gently against the edge of your front tooth. It should not scratch the pearls if you are gentle, but even so, I recommend using pearls closer to the clasp for this. Gritty feel = real; smooth feel = imitation.

Small pearls are back in, I think. These are not high end but could be worn alone.
Wear them any way you like!

Thank you @pearlsngems! At my ripe age I’m now wearing braces so I can’t do the tooth test..:lol: I remember the jewelry store I purchased it from. They didn’t sell costume jewelry..so I don’t think they’re imitation..I just think they aren’t high quality. Since I bought them when I was young I’m going to treat them like they are nice pearls. I’ll wear them alone with a chuckle about feeling fancy for buying them at 30 years old.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tooth test can also be done by rubbing one pearl against another. =)2 But I tend to agree that they are not-high-quality akoyas (but not junk quality either.)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Just wear them however you want, neck mess or however. Don't worry about damage. Better to wear them versus just sitting. Look at @yssie nacre thread. They are more durable than you think. Plus, far better to wear them and enjoy versus just sitting or very seldom wear.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just wear them however you want, neck mess or however. Don't worry about damage. Better to wear them versus just sitting. Look at @yssie nacre thread. They are more durable than you think. Plus, far better to wear them and enjoy versus just sitting or very seldom wear.

Thank you! I’ll look for her thread now..I forgot how nice pearls feel on my neck. They feel like butter. I may have to look at more pearls. :kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results