shape
carat
color
clarity

"Pearl" Diamond Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Er ... no breaking of forum rules, promise! I realized that I''d never posted pics of my college graduation present from my folks, a "pearl" diamond ring (so-called because, most commonly found on river bottoms, they tend to be spherical ... also, apparently because when cut some of them display a "pearlescent" sheen, but I''ve never seen one of those - if any experts can point me in the right direction, I''m dying to see). It''s a bit under 7 carats - no idea on color or clarity, but it does display fluorescence pretty strongly, set in a platinum semi-bezel.

Pearl Diamond 002.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In the sun ....

Pearl Diamond 003.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
3/4 profile ...

Pearl Diamond 004.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Displaying fluorescence ....

Pearl Diamond 005.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, on the hand (gotta admit, I love going to clubs to catch this effect - it glows like a little moon).

Pearl Diamond 008.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
And, finally, being arty: on a glass candle-holder ....

Pearl Diamond 007.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
... and, on my lighter.

Fin! Now, I have no further excuses to procrastinate.
39.gif

Pearl Diamond 010.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it Circe!!!That is so awesome!!!!!Where can you find something like that? I''d never heard of it before!!!

(I want one!)

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never heard of it before either, and it is just fascinating! Never would''ve thought rough diamond would look like that! So cool!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2008 4:28:43 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I love it Circe!!!That is so awesome!!!!!Where can you find something like that? I''d never heard of it before!!!

(I want one!)

Thanks, Freke and Gwen! Yay, more reason to avoid work! (I will so regret this when I am grading papers at midnight ...
5.gif
)

Rough diamonds are gaining popularity now, but a lot of the rough that''s used by, say, Diamond in the Rough is basically bort (or, if not that bad quality-wise, then the stones are just slotted into place like regular cut stones, which does not work at all to my eye - the rough stones are more organic, and they really need individualized settings) Can you tell this is a hobby-horse of mine? I keep resenting them for giving rough diamonds a bad name.

My folks has this one custom-made for me: dad was a gem dealer before he retired, and he picked up a parcel of gorgeous stones that I begged him not to cut because they were so pretty as they were. So, for my 21st b-day, I got a green "pearl" for my left hand, and 6 months later, this white one for my right as a graduation present. Before I got my e-ring, I wore them both 24/7 ... now I alternate so as to avoid scratching The Precious. To get one today, your best bet would probably be to find a reputable diamond dealer and to ask him to keep an eye out for pretty rough (from my understanding, these guys mostly come from Venezuela) and have it set custom ....

IrishBreakfast

Shiny_Rock
That is really cool - off to google those right now!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How cool is that? Love it, circe!!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a little ball of shaved ice...I just want to eat it!

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Too cool. I''ve never heard of this. Add that to the many things I''ve learned on PS...
9.gif

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Wow, i''ve never seen anything like that before! It''s beautiful!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I love it! I''ve never heard of that before! The setting is really perfect for the stone!

goldfish

Rough_Rock
I have never seen anything like that before! Super cool, and very beautiful.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
That is frakking cool, Circe! You''ve been holding out on us!
9.gif

marriedwithdiamonds

Rough_Rock
i have never seen anything like it before. i agree that it looks like a little snowball!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/1/2008 10:04:57 PM
Author: Selkie
That is frakking cool, Circe! You''ve been holding out on us!
9.gif

Thanks, y''all! I love how unusual it is - like secret bling.
19.gif

And, I know! I''ve been wearing it for so long (jeez, I guess ... 7 years now) that it''s like part of my hand: it just completely slipped my mind. Someday soon I need to visit the safety deposit box so as to photograph its green "sister," and the black "pearl" pendant with alexandrites, and ... well, and a whole bunch of other stuff! I guess that''s something to look forward to once the term is over ....

Ninama

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, wow! I never new such a thing existed! It''s moonstone-y... kinda? Very cool!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Holy cow, that is so cool! And so pretty!

chiquitapet

Ideal_Rock
Wow!! Very beautiful and very cool!!

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
love it!! so unique. can''t wait to see pics of your green one!

*sigh* another thing to add to my wish list...
28.gif

D2B

Brilliant_Rock
How cool it that!!!

I would post it in the coloured stones section as they have some real stone experts there who might be able to give you (and us) some more info on it. Not sure how frequently they would look over here.
35.gif

d2b

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Moonstone-y''s a good description: it doesn''t have any kind of a sheen on it (sigh), but it''s luminous in the same way. And, will do on posting to the colored stone forum! Never occurred to me that it''d be appropriate, but it seems like it might be worth a shot ....

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Coolness Circe! I posted some info for you in your colored stones thread. You have a wonderful collection
10.gif
!

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Cool. Love it.

darling

Shiny_Rock
So very, very cool! I want one too.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Awesome ring!!! Love those unique rough diamonds. Love them so much I got a brown octagon for hubby.

Yours is simply incredible.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results