shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearl Bracelet, Mikimoto or Takahashi?

bennytief

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am trying to soak up as information about pearls as I can on the forum and I came across pearls from Takahashi. I intended to buy a pair of Mikimoto earrings for my wife and you know how it is, the more you read the further you find yourself down the rabbit hole. Yy has been amazingly helpful and I really like what she has shown me. I am currently considering a 8-8.5mm Takahashi gem quality bracelet (top strand):

1651173092471.png

and this Mikimoto pearl bracelet:

1651173240060.png
Would any of you prefer the Mikimoto over the Takahashi in this case? Appreciate all the help.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mikimoto A+ will be outclassed by Takahashi's gem. Mikimoto A+ pearls are nice pearls but they aren't the cream of the crop by any means.

For me the only reason to pay for Mikimoto branding is if you want their designs or their top quality pearls. Their top quality pearls really ARE industry best. And of course the designs are unique to the house.

So if you want the Mikimoto clasp, buy the Miki A+.
If you want the nicer pearls, buty the Takahashi gem.

bennytief

Rough_Rock
Thanks Yssie. You are such an asset to this forum. I see that Mikimoto has incorporated more visible branding on their strands to distinguish themselves from other brands. It is hard to gauge the worth of such branding. Large gem quality pearls vs Mikimoto hardware. :confused2:

Yssie, do you still enjoy your mom's Takahashi pearl studs? Any regrets? =)2

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
How lovely that you are doing so much research into a gift for your wife! The answer to the value of the Mikimoto branding is objective & subjective.

Objectively, if, at any point down the road, the pearls are sold the Mikimoto branding will have value because it gives the buyer the knowledge that the pearls are good. Much like Tiffany for whatever. The buyer does not need any other information.

For example, I'm currently responsible for selling the jewelry from my grandmother's estate. I've come across unbranded diamond earrings. I don't know anything else about them. These will be harder to sell than Tiffany earrings would have been. I have to take the earrings to someone to have them assessed & then I will have to try to sell them. With branded jewelry, as long as you can show authenticity, it's just so much easier to gauge "value".

Subjectively, is your wife someone who is brand-conscious? Does she prefer designer clothing & accessories? If she cares about designer items, she'd probably appreciate the Mikimoto pearls. If she does not care about the name on the label, she'd probably prefer the Takahashi pearls. You know what your wife values.

One caveat to this is color preference---Takahashi's pearls are much more pink-leaning than Mikimoto's pearls, IIRC. So, if you or your wife have a preference for pink vs. white(r), it's something to bear in mind.

I hope this helps.

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hopefully this comment is allowed...Do you think your wife would like something unique (multicoloured Tak) or one (albeit branded) one of many identical?

mommylawyer

Brilliant_Rock
What does the Takahashi clasp look like? Personally, I really enjoy a nice clasp. And my bracelets always seem to spin to where I'm looking at the clasp most of the time. Just something to consider.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Yssie. You are such an asset to this forum. I see that Mikimoto has incorporated more visible branding on their strands to distinguish themselves from other brands. It is hard to gauge the worth of such branding. Large gem quality pearls vs Mikimoto hardware. :confused2:

Yssie, do you still enjoy your mom's Takahashi pearl studs? Any regrets? =)2

It is hard to judge - especially if you’re buying for someone else! I would echo @Cinders ‘ question of whether she prefers branded products in general? That’s always a helpful baseline.

My mother loves her Takahashi studs! No regrets! But I also have a couple pairs of Mikimoto studs, so I’ve scratched both itches. I’m prob not a great sample.

I will get a bracelet from Mikimoto one day. For whatever that’s worth. The branding is something that I personally value, for the right piece… But I would only buy Mikimoto AAA pearls, because I don’t value the brand without a best of breed product, and I need my money tree to sprout first!! :lol:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What does the Takahashi clasp look like? Personally, I really enjoy a nice clasp. And my bracelets always seem to spin to where I'm looking at the clasp most of the time. Just something to consider.
Takahashi has a number of clasp options! And many of us also source our own clasps (from Bella, etc.).

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
Takahashi has a number of clasp options! And many of us also source our own clasps (from Bella, etc.).

Hi Yssie. Do you know if Takahashi will do the resting and knotting? I asked because I see some pricescoper doing it locally. If they don’t, I have to start looking locally. It is public holiday in Japan, I don’t want to bother YY so much. TIA!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yssie. Do you know if Takahashi will do the resting and knotting? I asked because I see some pricescoper doing it locally. If they don’t, I have to start looking locally. It is public holiday in Japan, I don’t want to bother YY so much. TIA!

Yes, they can string for you. Their knotting is nicely done.

One reason that many of us US-based folks prefer to get our pearls loose or strung on temp strands is that import duties on “finished pieces” are higher. And we also might mix pearls up, add to existing strands, etc. Nothing to do with Takahashi stringing quality.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock

One reason that many of us US-based folks prefer to get our pearls loose or strung on temp strands is that import duties on “finished pieces” are higher. And we also might mix pearls up, add to existing strands, etc. Nothing to do with Takahashi stringing quality.

Thank you, Yssie! Can’t wait till public holiday is over, so I can finalize everything!

Import duties! Let me check the requirements for Hong Kong.

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
I vote for Mikimoto. That clasp is beautiful! I think it’s nice to give branded as a gift. Feels more special.

bennytief

Rough_Rock
Hopefully this comment is allowed...Do you think your wife would like something unique (multicoloured Tak) or one (albeit branded) one of many identical?

Hi Pearlescence, my wife is a fan of pink pearls and this is my first pearl gift for her and maybe in the future I can do multi-color Taks. I don't want to ask her because she would be suspicious. =)2

bennytief

Rough_Rock
It is hard to judge - especially if you’re buying for someone else! I would echo @Cinders ‘ question of whether she prefers branded products in general? That’s always a helpful baseline.

My mother loves her Takahashi studs! No regrets! But I also have a couple pairs of Mikimoto studs, so I’ve scratched both itches. I’m prob not a great sample.

I will get a bracelet from Mikimoto one day. For whatever that’s worth. The branding is something that I personally value, for the right piece… But I would only buy Mikimoto AAA pearls, because I don’t value the brand without a best of breed product, and I need my money tree to sprout first!! :lol:

Hi Yssie,

My wife is not a big brand person, but she adores her small Mikimoto earrings she got herself 20 years ago.

I wonder if the 8-8.5 gem quality Takahashi bracelet would look much more spectacular than a 7-7.5 A-grade Mikimoto in person from a foot away.

BTW, do you have a link for a AAA Mikimoto bracelet or is that something you have to special order?

bennytief

Rough_Rock

I haven't consider import duties. How much is that? TIA.

fussykiki

Shiny_Rock
I am more practical. For me, with the Mikimoto price tag for a bracelet, I probably prefer my husband getting me a full set of necklace and studs from Takahashi, maybe a bracelet as well.
(Disclaimer: I have a strand and a pair of pearls on hold with Takahaski)

bennytief

Rough_Rock
I vote for Mikimoto. That clasp is beautiful! I think it’s nice to give branded as a gift. Feels more special.

I don't disagree. The Mikimoto hardware is rather attractive.

bennytief

Rough_Rock
I have a bracelet of Takahashi Akoyas and they absolutely glow. I get compliments all the time. I would vote Takahashi.
(The larger are lavender leaning akoya fyi next to the smaller more traditional pinkish ones)

5822EA4A-9732-4849-8399-1F17DB1BF7A0.jpeg

Those pearls spectacular. Love the way they shine. Thank you for sharing. That's what make choosing Takahashi vs Mikimoto at the same price point so difficult. Shiny glowing pearls vs "M" hardware on the bracelet.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those pearls spectacular. Love the way they shine. Thank you for sharing. That's what make choosing Takahashi vs Mikimoto at the same price point so difficult. Shiny glowing pearls vs "M" hardware on the bracelet.

I think it depends on what you think your partner appreciates.

For me I value quality and a gift is special when I know the time and thought it represents. And having a bespoke item from a source that required my partner to do research into means more to me than a branded item made en masse.

For others, they never allow themselves the splurge of branded items, and so getting them as gifts are a special treat since it wouldn’t be something they’d feel able to buy for themselves even though they covet the glamor of the brand.

Only you know how your partners perspectives are likely to align.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Some tax is just immoral

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yssie,

My wife is not a big brand person, but she adores her small Mikimoto earrings she got herself 20 years ago.

I wonder if the 8-8.5 gem quality Takahashi bracelet would look much more spectacular than a 7-7.5 A-grade Mikimoto in person from a foot away.

BTW, do you have a link for a AAA Mikimoto bracelet or is that something you have to special order?

Are you located in the US? If so, I'd say call your nearest boutique and ask what they've got available. Mikimoto online (ie. The website) and the individual boutiques don't share inventory.

To some people pearls are pearls are pearls. To other people the difference would be obvious.

The fact that she already has Mikimoto earrings changes things. Do you know what pearl grade your wife's earrings are? Do you have any photos of them? Do you think she might want to wear a bracelet and her old earrings together?

If you think she'll want to wear them together you'll want to try to match colour and quality. That's much harder than buying anew, of course, but it may be doable. In this case you'll likely want to aim for a cream body, as many (not all, but many) akoya mellow into off-white over time. If you can sneak them away, and you have a Mikimoto boutique in your area, I'd start by taking them in and seeing what the sales associates think in terms of matching.

Last edited:

JewelQuest

Rough_Rock
I would choose the Mikimoto pearls.
Recently I have seen many mall stores with pearls with glassy surfaces making them shinier, but that is not the point of pearls. If you use a loop, you see real pearls have little laps of nacre laid down in thin translucence. It is when a single strong light gets lost into the pearl, and you see a single bright spot is surrounded by a dark halo of lost light, that gives it the magical appearence that no other stone has.
I can't prove it, but I feel those glassy pearls are treated somehow, to give even shininess with out the magic halo.
These are Mikimoto:
1663406701107.png

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many disreputable vendors treat pearls without disclosure. However, Takahashi is a very reputable outfit, and they do not treat akoya beyond maeshori - which are industry standard processes, which they will happily give more details on should you ask, and which Mikimoto does as well.

love_pearls

Shiny_Rock
Objectively, if, at any point down the road, the pearls are sold the Mikimoto branding will have value because it gives the buyer the knowledge that the pearls are good. Much like Tiffany for whatever. The buyer does not need any other information.

For example, I'm currently responsible for selling the jewelry from my grandmother's estate. I've come across unbranded diamond earrings. I don't know anything else about them. These will be harder to sell than Tiffany earrings would have been. I have to take the earrings to someone to have them assessed & then I will have to try to sell them. With branded jewelry, as long as you can show authenticity, it's just so much easier to gauge "value".

This is what makes purchasing from authentic branded jewellery companies tempting and sensible.

Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results