Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearaffair appreciates what she already owns! (Bling ban 2020)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
7823DF31-CDD4-4CDA-848C-2DE3D4091DF7.jpeg

Well, I’m still going strong but it has been HARD lately.

And I’m feeling a little bummed because the ring I was saving up for to be my baby bling- well, I was waiting for the seller to get the GIA report done, checked in with him, he says he can’t find the ring and it’s been lost all month. Well. Maybe that’s true. Either way, it’s lost to me!

Isn’t it fantastic though???

782E51DD-659F-4A54-BD29-7C0D99CAF020.jpeg 149C42E4-A774-430E-BD11-FE0DDB884CA0.jpeg

So I’m kind of sad about it. But who knows? Maybe he will find it. In the meantime I’m thinking baby bling should be something I’ll *actually* wear, haha! A big massive antique ring has no place in my daily life. But diamond studs or pearl studs... now you’re talking! I don’t own any fine jewellery studs.

Anyways. Story time.

When I first joined PS, I noticed y’all are pretty excited about old cuts. I had never seen any in person, coming fresh out of the “maul” world, so I didn’t really get the obsession. At all.

Then I went to England to visit a friend, and passed an antique shop window and WOW- these antique stones, I can’t even tell you- they have a beauty and a feeling that photos just can’t capture. I was gobsmacked. Bowled over. Enraptured! I finally got it!

From that moment on I was kind of on the hunt for an old cut. One fine day I found this beauty on eBay: inexpensive and sweet. Nervously, I bought it and awaited its arrival. And it was exquisite! Delicate, clean, very white. I got it appraised because I was scared it wasn’t real. Apparently it is! Hurrah!

It’s a sweet little thing that I treasure. For some reason I never wear it. Part of me is saving it for when my brother-in-law decides to propose to his long-time girlfriend. It is totally her style: understated, classy, timeless. Delicate and with history. She has a size 3 or 4 finger so I think the size of the stone would work. She might surprise me, but I’m pretty sure she’d feel award as hell with a large stone. So maybe I will let this one be hers one day.

We shall see!

5375A907-1423-4A51-89ED-680624B410E7.jpeg 4EE21504-9763-4264-B576-858995EB0E84.jpeg

collier

Shiny_Rock
Lol noted!

So clearly no one is too bothered about the *BLEMISH*. Maybe I should get over it too...
That necklace is AMAZING! I would wear it everyday, most people will think it is faux. It is a stunning link with those lovely interlocking double loops and hangs perfectly on you! Forget the blemish, you won't see it when you wear it but you will feel the lovely weight of that chain and the quality of the piece.

If you are taking votes for your push present, I vote for diamond studs. I got mine for my second daughters birth and have worn them all the time.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That necklace is AMAZING! I would wear it everyday, most people will think it is faux. It is a stunning link with those lovely interlocking double loops and hangs perfectly on you! Forget the blemish, you won't see it when you wear it but you will feel the lovely weight of that chain and the quality of the piece.

If you are taking votes for your push present, I vote for diamond studs. I got mine for my second daughters birth and have worn them all the time.
I am definitely taking votes, so thanks for your input! I do love the idea of wearing something every darn day instead of almost-never haha.

Like that necklace. >.<

Maybe I'll wear I'll find a way to wear it. Let me work on that.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair

I so appreciate this thread of yours - thank you for your detailing your thoughts, goals and philosophy on jewelry collections; it has been very helpful to me (along with mrs-b's) in re-evaluating my own collection as it is currently and as I truly intend it to be.

Enjoy figuring out just the right baby bling present for yourself ... perhaps that other piece that was mysteriously lost will serve as inspiration or you'll go in a completely different direction, but I know whatever you end up will be a treasure.

Looking forward to your updates in this thread as the year(s) go on :)

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Egads you have an amazing collection! I am particularly taken by the sapphire ring and 5-stone rosecuts! :kiss2: Your perspective is inspiring and a great reminder for me to be grateful for what I have. It's so hard to be strong when it comes to jewels. Thank you for sharing this!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@marymm and @KristyDarling - thank you so much for your kind words. I have read and reread them as a way to brighten my day and to stave off the bling monster in me who is always wanting MOOOOOAR!!! Haha. I forget if I already added this quote, but I read that: “The opposite of addiction is connection”; connecting with you all is a fantastic thing for me and really helps me stay the course.

Picture time! This little beauty is not in my “forever box” because it has its very own TIFFANY BOX which I love so so much. Sometimes I keep the box closed and I pretend it houses a 2ct honker haha. But mostly I just enjoy the fact that this beautiful nature band is in there. I don’t wear it often. Or ever.

I realized that part of why I often seem to collect more (or want to collect more) is that it doesn’t seem like you have much when you NEVER wear 90% of what you have! They’re easy to forget about!! Crazy, right?

So I’m going to make an effort to rotate things into daily wear. I’m always scared of wrecking them with use. But I think gold, platinum, and diamonds are not so fragile! Taking photos and sharing stories is a good start, but I really need to be wearing this stuff, appreciating it, and realizing in a tangible way just how much I do own.

Your kind words and compliments have helped me to focus on how lucky I am. And while I still crave the bigger and better, it’s important to recognize what a hoard of bling I already have! When I started on PS, I had one or two dinky frozen-spit-quality diamonds. Through careful budgeting and earning more as an older adult, I’ve been able to buy some really sensational things. I need to not lose sight of that. I also need to tap into the girl that thought a $125 engagement ring was a wild indulgence. Where did she go?

But for now, Tiffany’s! (Because I totally am a brand whore and a big big Tiffany fan girl. Yep.) <3 20D222E6-B09C-4C8C-8096-F90C77763286.jpeg FDD103A2-8023-4B28-8CFA-8F2A1993044C.jpeg

And a pic of me trying on the rose gold one in store, with my solitaire:

2F469067-AF7A-4AF9-8DF8-73750DBE9EA7.jpeg

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
PS- the Tiffany band I bought from a PSer and she was so nice and she even sent the Tiffany blue bag! I completely forget who she was (sorry) but it was yet another super positive PS interaction for me. What a nice group this is :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Next up, a ring that reveals just how totally crazy I am. But that just makes me fit in at Pricescope, right? Who among us hasn’t done something a little crazy for bling? No? Just me? Ok... well... ahem.

I bought this ring when DH got a permanent job contract. After eight years, five moves, and countless temp jobs, he got a permanent job. This was a colossally big deal!!!!!!! And the journey had required sacrifices on both our parts. It was time to celebrate!

For him, this meant a stay at a fancy beach hotel. For me, it meant, well duh- jewellery!!!

This was a rare moment of DH being ok with me buying jewellery lol. Usually I use my personal “fun money” because he does not like spending money on bling. Go figure. Anyways he was like, go ahead! So I bought this ring.

Have you ever bought a ring that was not a good deal? That you did not know much about the stones? That you just had to have even though you hadn’t done your homework? Yep. This was that situation. I saw it. I fell for it. I bought it.

And then I returned it.

LOL!

I felt so guilty buying myself something. There are a lot of awesome threads on PS about the difficulty of feeling worth nice sparklies, or giving oneself permission to spend money in such a frivolous way. It’s tricky business. So I received the ring, loved it, decided I would never wear it (and maybe didn’t deserve it) - so I returned it.

And then I emailed the company (TheRealReal) - and asked them if instead of processing the return, they could just mail it back to me.

WTF?!!!

Yeah. As soon as I sent it back, I was so upset with my knee-jerk decision to return it. Damn I wanted that ring!!!!! I was distraught lol. First world problems, right? So I called and emailed and we worked it out. And then I waited like a month or two, very anxiously. Certain it would get lost in their big inventory. Oh man I felt like such a crazy lady for my shenanigans. Oh well.

I eventually got it back and appreciated it doubly ever since haha.

0BD6D0BC-686A-4B62-86A1-BC395146C25D.jpeg A5AD3204-53F4-4E77-9F0C-4116411E5EB6.jpeg B796D025-01FB-418B-AB8D-036829FE0AE3.jpeg 99CA766F-A8D4-43C8-BEF1-7B853C3593B3.jpeg D76B1B08-2A8C-4C02-B757-61FAD88ADFE5.jpeg D1D48635-3C8E-49C0-9E85-CAE2F7A9C955.jpeg

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And just a note for anyone wistfully lurking:

When I started on PS, years ago, my collection was quite humble. So I got to work learning and saving. If you save $5 a day for a year (give up coffee! Or whatever!) you can amass a nice chunk of change. I feel weird and show-offy sharing my collection; so it’s important to me that you know that I don’t drink coffee and I rarely buy clothes. Bling is my indulgence and I save for it diligently and slowly. You could, too! (Probably. I am privileged enough to have a spare $5 a day. I recognize that not everyone has that luxury.)

Anyways I have enjoyed pics on PS for years. It’s my turn to give a little back to the community that has brought so much sparkly fun into my days! <3

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
Oh my goodness, I have missed a lot since I last checked in here!

First of all, WOW! I am amazed at this ring and that you bought it from eBay. I never check there for jewelry; I should start.

If I spent all the time I spend on PS on learning French or piano... I would be an expert right now >.<!! Lol
I think this same thing sometimes, but really we need to go easier on ourselves. Especially since you have a young one and another on the way - that requires a huge amount of mental, emotional, and physical work. At least one part of life should be just for fun! (I type this as my 2 and 4 year olds are running around tearing the house apart and I am simply glad that they are leaving me alone for a few minutes.)

Oooooooh, this is so fabulous with the pair of bands! I would not have know the center was not a diamond, if you had not mentioned it. Also, love the nails!

I don't add anything I don't really want, at this point, and - if I'm tempted to buy something - I ask myself "Did I want (one of these) before I saw this great deal/sparkly bauble?" If not, then I walk away, because it's clearly not something I need or even particularly want - because, if it were, I'd have wanted it before I saw (whatever it is I'm looking at, at that second). It's a very good rule of thumb and has stood me in good stead.
Yes, this! I try hard to follow this in every area of life, but of course I am not always successful. Especially when every pretty thing a YouTuber shows in a video is linked below. :))

I am so enjoying this thread. You have so many wonderful pieces with interesting origin stories (like the band your dad found at work!).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, I have missed a lot since I last checked in here!

First of all, WOW! I am amazed at this ring and that you bought it from eBay. I never check there for jewelry; I should start.

I think this same thing sometimes, but really we need to go easier on ourselves. Especially since you have a young one and another on the way - that requires a huge amount of mental, emotional, and physical work. At least one part of life should be just for fun! (I type this as my 2 and 4 year olds are running around tearing the house apart and I am simply glad that they are leaving me alone for a few minutes.)

Oooooooh, this is so fabulous with the pair of bands! I would not have know the center was not a diamond, if you had not mentioned it. Also, love the nails!

Yes, this! I try hard to follow this in every area of life, but of course I am not always successful. Especially when every pretty thing a YouTuber shows in a video is linked below. :))

I am so enjoying this thread. You have so many wonderful pieces with interesting origin stories (like the band your dad found at work!).
Your comments are giving me excellent food for thought, and I like your suggestion to give myself some grace - not everything has to be productive, some things can just be for fun! And thank you for reminding me of that comment from Mrs-B; I am going to add an abridged version of: “Did I want it before I saw it?” to my mantra list :)

I’m considering putting a green tourmaline into the halo setting, but I dunno...

Glad you are enjoying the stories! Sharing the pics and histories of these pieces is definitely helping me to appreciate what I have. It is also highlighting for me how rarely I wear certain things >.< oh dear.

Stay tuned as there will be more to come!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.