Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearaffair appreciates what she already owns! (Bling ban 2020)

lkolarik

Shiny_Rock
1AEBB219-BF77-49BA-8C56-529AB476C7C4.jpeg 5493AC2A-5E7E-4C0F-9E8F-94AFA71231AC.jpeg

What a keen eye you have! I knew that eventually a rose cut nut would spy this little pretty!

It’s a five stone, really chunky and small, I know absolutely nothing else about it lol. I was chatting with my goldsmith about how I was obsessing over rose cuts and would love to see one in person. A few weeks later he sent me a message- he got one in, preloved, would I be possibly interested? Well heck yes I was!!! I pretty much told him I wished I could rush right over and have a look, but he assured me he would hold it for me until I had a chance to snap it up (or not).

Well, the second I saw it I bought it without hesitation. Not a rose cut lover himself, he sold it to me for a song and now it is *mine*, alllllll mine!!!

It has great detail on the side but it’s hard for me to capture it with my phone. Perhaps I’ll try to get a good photo soon. I like to wear it paired with the wide gold band.

Now, the wide gold band: YEARS, no, DECADES ago my dad was working in some kind of gravel pit situation. Maybe road construction? Sewage? Drainage? Something like that. Anyways, amongst all the yummy rubble he finds this ring! He figures a relationship went sour and someone tossed it down the drain, or it slipped off their finger, or who the heck knows but it was going to be next to impossible to find the original owner. Fast-forward quite a few years, and he ends up having a daughter who is obsessed with jewellery. He says, “Oh, do you want this?” Uhhh YES, PLEASE!

It is probably the most valuable piece of jewellery I will ever be given by them! My parents are so down to earth, they would never buy such a thing for themselves or for others. Just makes this piece even more special :)
A rose cut ring is what started me down the bling rabbit hole. I now have two! :lol: They're both modern, but I would love to have an antique rose cut someday.

And I'm so glad you included the story of the gold band. I inherited one from my MIL who recently passed, and it's thick, and heavy, and has seen some life, and I am absolutely in love. :kiss2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A rose cut ring is what started me down the bling rabbit hole. I now have two! :lol: They're both modern, but I would love to have an antique rose cut someday.

And I'm so glad you included the story of the gold band. I inherited one from my MIL who recently passed, and it's thick, and heavy, and has seen some life, and I am absolutely in love. :kiss2:
Jewellery always has a story! And a history, long or short. It’s part of what I love so much.

Sorry for your loss. What a special heirloom to receive.

PS- I would love to see pics of your rose cuts!

lkolarik

Shiny_Rock
Jewellery always has a story! And a history, long or short. It’s part of what I love so much.

Sorry for your loss. What a special heirloom to receive.

PS- I would love to see pics of your rose cuts!
Ahhh, well, twist my arm.

P1070793 v2.JPG

The CvB Spring Gulch Double Halo and Afterglow band need to be sized, but I'm on a weight loss journey (which Covid is not making easier), so I don't want to jump into resizing just yet. And frankly, if Covid manages to kill my industry and I find myself suddenly out of a job (live theatre is predicated on sitting in a room with lots of other people, sooo...), these will likely be the first pieces I part with.

P1070818 v2.JPG

The DK compass point ring was the first piece of real jewelry I ever purchased. Before I moved in with my now husband, between working in the arts, being a diligent saver, and living in NYC, there wasn't too much money left over at the end of the day to go toward any sort of bling fund. Ordering a $100 pair of hand made earrings on Etsy was a big deal. But when we eventually moved in together, there was suddenly an extra chunk of money left over in my account every month. Being able to purchase something frivolous, like not just furniture, with a comma in the price was a huge accomplishment for me. And scary. And it still is. Coming from a family where the mantra was basically, "You can never have enough money in the bank", every purchase I make there is this push and pull of happiness and pride, and guilt and self-doubt.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium

P1070793 v2.JPG

The CvB Spring Gulch Double Halo and Afterglow band need to be sized, but I'm on a weight loss journey (which Covid is not making easier), so I don't want to jump into resizing just yet. And frankly, if Covid manages to kill my industry and I find myself suddenly out of a job (live theatre is predicated on sitting in a room with lots of other people, sooo...), these will likely be the first pieces I part with.

P1070818 v2.JPG

The DK compass point ring was the first piece of real jewelry I ever purchased. Before I moved in with my now husband, between working in the arts, being a diligent saver, and living in NYC, there wasn't too much money left over at the end of the day to go toward any sort of bling fund. Ordering a $100 pair of hand made earrings on Etsy was a big deal. But when we eventually moved in together, there was suddenly an extra chunk of money left over in my account every month. Being able to purchase something frivolous, like not just furniture, with a comma in the price was a huge accomplishment for me. And scary. And it still is. Coming from a family where the mantra was basically, "You can never have enough money in the bank", every purchase I make there is this push and pull of happiness and pride, and guilt and self-doubt.
Those are absolutely gorgeous! And I can completely relate to $100 earrings being a BIG DEAL and a purchase with a comma being a difficult push and pull!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I love your collection. :kiss2: I've been enjoying your photos and reading the stories behind each piece. But so far there is no sign of the beautiful asscher you acquired a little while ago. We bought asschers at around the same time, and I ended up returning mine because it wasn't quite ticking all my boxes. But I do remember that yours yours was a real "find" with beautiful light performance. Do you still have it and will it be making an appearance in this thread? :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I love your collection. :kiss2: I've been enjoying your photos and reading the stories behind each piece. But so far there is no sign of the beautiful asscher you acquired a little while ago. We bought asschers at around the same time, and I ended up returning mine because it wasn't quite ticking all my boxes. But I do remember that yours yours was a real "find" with beautiful light performance. Do you still have it and will it be making an appearance in this thread? :)
Thank you for the compliments!

But now I’m scratching my head... I don’t think I’ve ever bought an Asscher! (Maybe I should, haha.) I have a cz emerald cut set in white gold... hmm.

Is it possible you’re thinking of someone else? Is it possible I’ve bought an Asscher and FORGOTTEN? Lol!!

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the compliments!

But now I’m scratching my head... I don’t think I’ve ever bought an Asscher! (Maybe I should, haha.) I have a cz emerald cut set in white gold... hmm.

Is it possible you’re thinking of someone else? Is it possible I’ve bought an Asscher and FORGOTTEN? Lol!!
:doh:You are quite right - I got my pears muddled up - I was thinking of princessandthepear! :lol-2::lol-2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You guys- I just did a neat thing. I’m a part of a big Facebook group not related to bling. I just made a post that invited the ladies to post a pic of their engagement rings. Well, let me tell you, if you ever want to feel good about what you have instead of what you don’t have- get off PS and see what most women in the world are rocking!!! The rings were varied, unique, beautiful, sentimental, and largely not PS-level anything. They don’t need to be. It was kind of a reality check for me. Hanging out on PS I am consistently checking out the BEST jewellery the world has to offer! And I love that!! But I sometimes forget how lucky we all are, or how lucky I am, to have even *one* PS-level-of-quality ring. And I’ve got rings for different moods, outfits, and eras. Lucky! Privileged! Spoiled? Perhaps. But I’ve scrimped and saved my pennies to make it happen.

Anyways I just thought that was interesting. Especially with the pandemic I am not out and about so much, seeing people’s rings. But speaking of seeing rings...

This navette beauty. Why can I not photograph her properly? I will try again soon when energy and time align to make it happen ;-) but for now- enjoy! This ring I purchased from a PSer. She was majorly downsizing her collection as a result of her new down-to-earth lifestyle. She was focusing on other things, different priorities, and focusing on other things. She was so nice to talk to and I loved buying this ring from her. The diamonds are old miners, very small and chunky.

I bought this ring to celebrate passing an exam. Well... I actually bought it BEFORE I passed the exam, and wore it to the exam, as a good-luck talisman and with the certainty I would pass, haha! Well I DID pass that exam, and I am very proud of myself for doing so because I was an extremely sleep-deprived newish mom at the time, and studying was very challenging. My brain was so tired and broken. But I did it!

This pic for now; more to come! Enjoy! A4380886-788D-4B23-B82B-D86342EE0A80.jpeg

Jimmianne

Ideal_Rock
Premium

P1070793 v2.JPG

P1070818 v2.JPG

Your rings are so beautiful, timeless and a good way to spend funds. I’m like you, very frugal. I spent $200 on a Citizen watch 8 years ago and that was so over the top for me...until I found Pricescope. : )

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my neighbourhood... it would be normal to wear a rope bracelet and a ring made out of the handle of an antique silver spoon. Artsy! Down to earth! Inexpensive! Not at all flashy.

Soooo this 71g 14k yellow gold 16” chain necklace does NOT get a lot of time out in the world. It doesn’t fit in my forever box, so this may be the first time you’re seeing it.

I bought it secondhand about a year ago, before gold prices skyrocketed. I paid a good price! Which is one of the main reasons I might never sell it. Silly. But a part of me knows that I could NEVER afford to replace it.

And maybe I’ll wear it. One day. Is it too much? Could I pretend it’s costume jewellery? Gah. I want to feel safe when I walk around. This necklace is just so luxe and really glows!

Oh and weird fun fact: it’s some kind of rose gold that’s been plated with yellow gold! Wtf. But it ends up being the most delightful warm yellow gold colour. My goldsmith discovered this when he suspected it, and then polished off 2-3mm or plating near the clasp in order to confirm it. He was worried I had paid for a cheaper/base metal plated in yellow gold. Nope, all good, it’s gold all the way through. But now I am somewhat devastated about the blemish he created (without asking!) and my whole feeling towards this piece is a bit... blah. I am such a perfectionist and even though you would never see this spot unless you knew where to look... I’m choked about it.

I may save this necklace for a couple decades and give to my daughter for a special occasion. Or sell. I have never worn it out of the house, and only at home for pictures! I really am nutty.

What do you think? 94DDE783-4251-4D3A-AAC2-13D08411BFE9.jpeg F81E6D32-E0D1-47A7-8A60-BE98A7210C72.jpeg 48580F3B-2141-469F-BAA9-CE36E43B360C.jpeg CAEBF86B-B0E4-4623-8007-3E0B861A2C8F.jpeg 91AA786B-9456-4B0C-B517-CAFA85CEC9AA.jpeg E0137BDE-DB03-4490-8071-486792BA7ABB.jpeg

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour (as seen next to my Michael Kors chain necklace) and the BLEMISH!!!! I am never going to get over this blemish lol. If it came that way I’d probably not notice or not care but I can’t help but blame myself for not diving to save it before my goldsmith defaced my beauty lol. He meant well. And possibly I could replate it. I just hate messing with things.

How neurotic am I?? Standard PS level?

Oh just wait. I have more stories to come lol. 6CF94AF9-602C-4F45-AF00-547BAAC31EE7.jpeg 696B4FA7-2909-4F7F-864E-49C5F207FF1F.jpeg EB948A82-3CD3-4879-80E0-4F99FD321AA0.jpeg 3DE9238B-B2B5-430B-93E7-4148B82741AF.jpeg

Reactions: caf

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
In my neighbourhood... it would be normal to wear a rope bracelet and a ring made out of the handle of an antique silver spoon. Artsy! Down to earth! Inexpensive! Not at all flashy.

Soooo this 71g 14k yellow gold 16” chain necklace does NOT get a lot of time out in the world. It doesn’t fit in my forever box, so this may be the first time you’re seeing it.

I bought it secondhand about a year ago, before gold prices skyrocketed. I paid a good price! Which is one of the main reasons I might never sell it. Silly. But a part of me knows that I could NEVER afford to replace it.

And maybe I’ll wear it. One day. Is it too much? Could I pretend it’s costume jewellery? Gah. I want to feel safe when I walk around. This necklace is just so luxe and really glows!

Oh and weird fun fact: it’s some kind of rose gold that’s been plated with yellow gold! Wtf. But it ends up being the most delightful warm yellow gold colour. My goldsmith discovered this when he suspected it, and then polished off 2-3mm or plating near the clasp in order to confirm it. He was worried I had paid for a cheaper/base metal plated in yellow gold. Nope, all good, it’s gold all the way through. But now I am somewhat devastated about the blemish he created (without asking!) and my whole feeling towards this piece is a bit... blah. I am such a perfectionist and even though you would never see this spot unless you knew where to look... I’m choked about it.

I may save this necklace for a couple decades and give to my daughter for a special occasion. Or sell. I have never worn it out of the house, and only at home for pictures! I really am nutty.

What do you think? 94DDE783-4251-4D3A-AAC2-13D08411BFE9.jpeg F81E6D32-E0D1-47A7-8A60-BE98A7210C72.jpeg 48580F3B-2141-469F-BAA9-CE36E43B360C.jpeg CAEBF86B-B0E4-4623-8007-3E0B861A2C8F.jpeg 91AA786B-9456-4B0C-B517-CAFA85CEC9AA.jpeg E0137BDE-DB03-4490-8071-486792BA7ABB.jpeg
This necklace is so very chic! If you decide to sell, please let me know. I call first dibs!!!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This necklace is so very chic! If you decide to sell, please let me know. I call first dibs!!!
I’ll keep that in mind! <33333

Would you wear it all the time if you were me? Is it more of a gala look? Gah I’m such a hoarder. But it is a rather fetching piece, eh? Thanks for appreciating it with me!

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
I call second dibs! It's fantastic - I think you should wear it every day. Most people would never know that it's solid gold - and also, most people have NO idea how much gold is actually worth right now! I've only just started appreciating heavy yellow gold this year.... And of course now I will never be able to afford it! Wear that baby and don't think twice about it.

luxe

Shiny_Rock
I call second dibs! It's fantastic - I think you should wear it every day. Most people would never know that it's solid gold - and also, most people have NO idea how much gold is actually worth right now! I've only just started appreciating heavy yellow gold this year.... And of course now I will never be able to afford it! Wear that baby and don't think twice about it.

I second this! I think that necklace could absolutely be within a regular rotation - most people wouldn’t likely notice that it’s solid gold. I just missed out on an item that I had been coveting forever because I was second guessing and felt it was “too much” for everyday - to which my husband replied when I complained, that I shouldn’t worry about what other people think and just enjoy the jewellery I buy since you buy it for yourself and not for others.

I think everyone is so focused on themselves anyway that we overthink and scrutinize things others might not notice or pay attention to. Enjoy the necklace and wear her proudly!

Lucy-In-The-Sky

Rough_Rock
I'll call3rd dibs, then! That necklace is amazing! Most of my necklaces are mix & match Marla Aaron locks and chains, but I've been thinking a nice heavy chunky gold chain would be nice mixed in.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll call3rd dibs, then! That necklace is amazing! Most of my necklaces are mix & match Marla Aaron locks and chains, but I've been thinking a nice heavy chunky gold chain would be nice mixed in.
Lol noted!

So clearly no one is too bothered about the *BLEMISH*. Maybe I should get over it too...

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it helps, this is what I do, I find that it helps me to keep my purchases in check but it still allows me to dream and to “play” with jewelry and satisfy my bling urges!

I maintain a bling wish list, where every item I want, whether expensive or not, goes on the list. I have everything from a diamond rivière necklace to a pair of plain gold hoops on there, but the only rule is that for something to make it on to the list I need to be able to picture myself wearing it at least a few times a year (it used to be at least 1x a month, but I want some statement pieces that won’t come out that often, so I’m comfortable with the yearly requirement). Once an item makes it on to the list, it needs to sit there for a minimum of 6 months before I am allowed to buy it. I prune this list every week or so (this can include moving an item from the “yes” to the “maybe” pile. The 6 month rule means that the piece needs to sit in the yes pile for a consecutive 6 months. The “maybe’s” are cleaned out every month or so, about half the time the piece gets removed from the list entirely. This is to weed out impulse purchases.). I’m also completely comfortable with not ever buying everything on my list or everything in my dreams. I design a lot of jewelry - I’d go broke if I tried to buy it all! I hand out design ideas for free to scratch my itch :D

The second step of this process is my bling fund - I maintain a separate account of my mad money, and a (fairly significant, to be honest) portion of it goes into my bling fund every month. This is the money I reserve exclusively for bling. It isn’t all my fun-money, as I do have other shopping-hobbies (purses are a big one that are also similarly restricted) and also travel etc.

Purchase rules: I am only allowed to purchase 1-2 pieces off my wish list per year. Usually I try to do 1 every six months, but it can be two close together or only 1 in a year if I buy something super expensive. I try not to set my fund to zero because I have some long term goals that are going to be major $$$ that need multi-year saving. My partner doesn’t put these restrictions btw - they’re my own. Resetting pieces to make them more wearable is not restricted to a certain number per year unless it’s ludicrously expensive, but I do need to sit on a specific reset idea for at least 6 months before I permit myself to carry it out - same rules apply. If I change my mind any time during the 6 months, the 6 month period resets. Also, if my partner or anyone (like family) wants to get me a bling gift they just give me a budget, I usually buy it myself and top up the difference from my bling fund in case I want something over budget. This doesn’t count towards my purchases of the year unless I end up spending a huge amount more.

Hope this was helpful to you or anyone else reading!
Rereading this, I have some questions:

How do you keep track of your list? Is it on paper or your phone? Do you date each item that you add to the list, or do you have another way of keeping track?

Approximately what percentage of your mad money goes towards jewellery vs not jewellery?

And finally, let’s say you obtain (from purchasing or being gifted) two new pieces a year. In ten years, that’s 20 new pieces. Do you have a system for culling the collection, or once you own it is it yours forever?

Hope you don’t mind the detail of my questions! I like systems and I’m trying to figure out a very specific one that will work well for me.

Rereading this, I have some questions:

How do you keep track of your list? Is it on paper or your phone? Do you date each item that you add to the list, or do you have another way of keeping track?

Approximately what percentage of your mad money goes towards jewellery vs not jewellery?

And finally, let’s say you obtain (from purchasing or being gifted) two new pieces a year. In ten years, that’s 20 new pieces. Do you have a system for culling the collection, or once you own it is it yours forever?

Hope you don’t mind the detail of my questions! I like systems and I’m trying to figure out a very specific one that will work well for me.
No issues with the questions! I maintain the list on my laptop. It has 5 columns - serial number, date, description, rough budget (I just do a $ sign system - $ to $$$$), and inspiration picture if I have one. If I move something to the maybe pile the date gets updated to the date I moved it and if I move it back it gets updated again. I don’t also buy them in date order... some items are quite inexpensive on there and some are very expensive, so I need to work out of order in order to save up for the expensive piece, while still buying cheaper ones to satisfy my urges and my list. 6 month rule still applies though.

I’d say like 40-50%? It isn’t a hard and fast rule since there are months or years that I wanted something else badly enough to spend my money on that instead. Minimum is probably a third though.

I do however buy to keep, and I don’t plan on ever selling. I put so much of my heart and soul into collecting especially since I rarely buy pieces the way they are (a few designer or off the rack pieces excepted) because I like to design all my pieces so that they’re unique. I mean, nothing is truly unique I suppose and I do take inspiration from Instagram and Pinterest etc. but I like making my own tweaks and changes. I’m open to gifting items though, if I fall out of love with them, to family or to very close friends (if they want them of course), or redesigning pieces and getting them remade, breathing new life into them.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No issues with the questions! I maintain the list on my laptop. It has 5 columns - serial number, date, description, rough budget (I just do a $ sign system - $ to $$$$), and inspiration picture if I have one. If I move something to the maybe pile the date gets updated to the date I moved it and if I move it back it gets updated again. I don’t also buy them in date order... some items are quite inexpensive on there and some are very expensive, so I need to work out of order in order to save up for the expensive piece, while still buying cheaper ones to satisfy my urges and my list. 6 month rule still applies though.

I’d say like 40-50%? It isn’t a hard and fast rule since there are months or years that I wanted something else badly enough to spend my money on that instead. Minimum is probably a third though.

I do however buy to keep, and I don’t plan on ever selling. I put so much of my heart and soul into collecting especially since I rarely buy pieces the way they are (a few designer or off the rack pieces excepted) because I like to design all my pieces so that they’re unique. I mean, nothing is truly unique I suppose and I do take inspiration from Instagram and Pinterest etc. but I like making my own tweaks and changes. I’m open to gifting items though, if I fall out of love with them, to family or to very close friends (if they want them of course), or redesigning pieces and getting them remade, breathing new life into them.
That is fascinating info for me to have! I love it. I’m going to make my own spreadsheet. I’ve been collecting wish list items on a private Instagram account but a spreadsheet is even better!

Love. This.

Thanks!!! And now I want to see your collection and what’s at the top of your current saving list :) heh

That is fascinating info for me to have! I love it. I’m going to make my own spreadsheet. I’ve been collecting wish list items on a private Instagram account but a spreadsheet is even better!

Love. This.

Thanks!!! And now I want to see your collection and what’s at the top of your current saving list :) heh
Haha I’m glad to inspire! Well I don’t post pictures of things I own as a rule, but I’m happy to describe a few things on my wishlist. One of the things I really want is a pair of mismatched, multicolored earrings of different colored stones, I can’t describe it but I think of it as vaguely geometric, and this shouldn’t be very expensive so I see this as an acquisition that I’ll make soon. More “generic” things are a graduated diamond tennis necklace and a pair of matching tennis bracelets (in white and fancy yellows) - I want them to be sizeable, so it’s going to cost me a ton.
ETA - I left out something I’ve discussed earlier on the forum - I want an emerald cocktail ring where it looks like the emerald is sleeping under a blanket of small baguette cut diamonds and someone has just pulled the blanket off (so curling along one side and pulled back). I can picture it in my head but I can’t draw so I can’t show you what I mean and I’ve never seen it anywhere before. I was thinking of going peridot instead but honestly I love emeralds, and I’d rather save up for a few months more and get exactly what I love.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I’m glad to inspire! Well I don’t post pictures of things I own as a rule, but I’m happy to describe a few things on my wishlist. One of the things I really want is a pair of mismatched, multicolored earrings of different colored stones, I can’t describe it but I think of it as vaguely geometric, and this shouldn’t be very expensive so I see this as an acquisition that I’ll make soon. More “generic” things are a graduated diamond tennis necklace and a pair of matching tennis bracelets (in white and fancy yellows) - I want them to be sizeable, so it’s going to cost me a ton.
ETA - I left out something I’ve discussed earlier on the forum - I want an emerald cocktail ring where it looks like the emerald is sleeping under a blanket of small baguette cut diamonds and someone has just pulled the blanket off (so curling along one side and pulled back). I can picture it in my head but I can’t draw so I can’t show you what I mean and I’ve never seen it anywhere before. I was thinking of going peridot instead but honestly I love emeralds, and I’d rather save up for a few months more and get exactly what I love.
How do you make tennis bracelets sizeable?

How do you make tennis bracelets sizeable?
Well, my dreams stretch to tennis bracelets in the 10ctw category (though I think the fancy yellow is going to need to be smaller for budgetary reasons), which is pretty sizeable! (I was using sizeable as a way of saying “big” not something capable of being resized btw).

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, my dreams stretch to tennis bracelets in the 10ctw category (though I think the fancy yellow is going to need to be smaller for budgetary reasons), which is pretty sizeable! (I was using sizeable as a way of saying “big” not something capable of being resized btw).
Ooooh durr, I thought you meant as in resizable, and I was like: tell me more!! Haha. But sizeable as in presence! Gotcha!

I started my spreadsheet today :)
Thanks for the inspiration!

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Chiguys's Cushion Cut Engagement Ring
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding
    Archduchess Eleonore von Habsburg and Jérôme d’Ambrosio Royal Wedding

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.