Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Pearaffair appreciates what she already owns! (Bling ban 2020)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been revisiting this thread and thinking about my collection.

I had a revelation! :dance: Try asking yourself the following: If I lost all my jewellery in some unthinkable event and was given a lump sum insurance payout to replace it all, what would I buy the second time around?

Would I buy as many pieces? Would I replace them all like for like, or would I have different goals if starting from scratch? If starting with a blank sheet, you are free to plan your collection carefully to ensure maximum wearability and love for each piece.

When I thought about this it was very clear to me which are the key pieces I wouldnt want to be without, and which are lovely to own but not really getting a lot of wear. It inspired me to consider listing a few pieces that I wouldnt otherwise have considered letting go. However, like you, Pearaffair, I have some items which I would never part with for sentimental reasons, even if they don't get a lot of wear.
I honestly have thought of this, although don't insure all my jewelry, so it's very imaginary! Like you and Pearaffair, I have sentimental pieces given by my family when I was very young that I'd never part with, but I really don't wear it. All of that is mainly yg and I have it in a separate small zipper jewelry case. I want a medium size jewelry box to hold the pieces I love and actually wear (I have one now but the handle broke so I need a new one). I really have never collected costume jewelry. I have daughters and two little grandaughters to give special pieces over time! I have a few pieces I need to sell. It's just making myself do it!

Bottom line, though, if all my jewelry disappeared, I'd want diamond studs, an e-ring and wedding band OR just a 5 stone diamond band, a small diamond cross pendant, pearl studs, and a few VCA pieces. I could really not replace most of it!

Pearaffair, you are very wise to save for important pieces and not spend on little things that aren't really going to stand the test of time! I try to aim for one or two things a year, and that works out well for me! I love the story behind your diamond band! It's so nice to connect pieces to special occasions, too! You definitely need a new piece in honor of your baby boy!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your husband’s notion of “quality over quantity” - I must add that to my list of mantras!!

Have you heard that apparently most people only wear 20-30% of their closet?! Maybe that applies to our accessories as well. I’m sure it applies to me.
@pearaffair I definitely wear about 20% of my closet and swap between 2 purses.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great thread PearAffair! I love your big hunky diamond band!
Personally I’ve got all the bling I EVER need. I told my husband no more and I mean it. Between what my mom left me and what I’ve received & bought, I’m seriously maxed out. I’ve been spoiled and now I’m just enjoying what I have!! Looking at jewelry? That’s another story; but I don’t want to buy/sell anything!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly have thought of this, although don't insure all my jewelry, so it's very imaginary! Like you and Pearaffair, I have sentimental pieces given by my family when I was very young that I'd never part with, but I really don't wear it. All of that is mainly yg and I have it in a separate small zipper jewelry case. I want a medium size jewelry box to hold the pieces I love and actually wear (I have one now but the handle broke so I need a new one). I really have never collected costume jewelry. I have daughters and two little grandaughters to give special pieces over time! I have a few pieces I need to sell. It's just making myself do it!

Bottom line, though, if all my jewelry disappeared, I'd want diamond studs, an e-ring and wedding band OR just a 5 stone diamond band, a small diamond cross pendant, pearl studs, and a few VCA pieces. I could really not replace most of it!

Pearaffair, you are very wise to save for important pieces and not spend on little things that aren't really going to stand the test of time! I try to aim for one or two things a year, and that works out well for me! I love the story behind your diamond band! It's so nice to connect pieces to special occasions, too! You definitely need a new piece in honor of your baby boy!
Sooo as a total enabler, may I direct your attention to these amazing jewelry boxes? https://www.amazon.com/s?k=wolf+1834+jewelry+box&sprefix=wolf+1834+jewe&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

The prices on amazon change and sometimes go nice and low. So keep an eye out if you like any of the styles! Myself, I have been VERY impressed with the quality.

I love your replacement list! It stands out to me that those are all things you could wear daily. That’s a good philosophy, if you ask me, and something I’m working towards.

Oh man- my “very wise” plan to stop buying little stuff and to save for the big stuff... took me MANY years to develop. I used to buy all the little stuff ever. In fact, I remember years ago reading the advice, “Buy your last piece first.” And thinking, “Yeah, right. And pass up all these deals?” LOL. So after five years of collecting like a magpie, I’m finally seeing the light!

So now I’m trying to go back in time by selling the small stuff and buying a big one or two new guys. C’est la vie!

Haha and thank you for enabling me regarding baby boy bling. I do think it special to say to a kid, “I bought this when you were born, and one day I will pass it on to you.” But heck, maybe my kids will be like, “Gee mom, what a waste of money, jewellery is lame!” Hahaha. Time will tell.

To me, jewellery is a time capsule that takes you back to a moment. I love having pieces that truly attest to that.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I definitely wear about 20% of my closet and swap between 2 purses.
Oh man, you and me both. Once I’m done being pregnant I’m going to do a major closet purge!

Great thread PearAffair! I love your big hunky diamond band!
Personally I’ve got all the bling I EVER need. I told my husband no more and I mean it. Between what my mom left me and what I’ve received & bought, I’m seriously maxed out. I’ve been spoiled and now I’m just enjoying what I have!! Looking at jewelry? That’s another story; but I don’t want to buy/sell anything!
Hehehe if I had your collection, I think I could be done, too! ;-)

That being said- how does it feel? I image a calmness. The idea of being “done” feels so impossible to me. But I aspire to get to that place. How does it feel to you? Or do you even think about it? Now I’m going to hunt for a roundup of your bling family so I can see what satisfaction looks like!

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE your diamond halo ring! Would love to hear more about that. What about earrings, necklaces and bracelets? Or is the jewelry box shown your final keepers only? I love the peridot necklace too.
The jewelry box shown is, as you guessed, my final keepers only. My “forever pieces”. In the side compartments (not shown) I have some surprises (Earrings! Bracelet! Etc!) I have another jewelry box full of costume jewellery.

I’ll post about the halo ring soon!

Buttercookies

Shiny_Rock
As you wish! But it means I’ll have to see pics of your rose gold beauties, deal? :)

7FF207B8-9932-4A99-BB32-03D2FD993154.jpeg 8579E17F-6A40-440F-917C-7483082800CF.jpeg 632B2F4A-6D3D-42F2-81AB-BB136A0344B3.jpeg

Well, aside from the obvious (giving me instant best friend Twinsie status with Princess Kate Middleton), this ring is a BEAUTY and always makes my day. It’s a very special piece, and I bought it from a friend (who in another thread was referred to as very beautiful and skilled at the bling hunt- which I have to agree with!). I always seem to care about who I’m buying from, whether it’s an individual or a business, and buying from PSers is always a privilege.

Anyways. This ring is one of the last purchases I made before my ban. It’s super special to me because I bought it when I was hoping hoping hoping to have conceived a baby, and I was aware that the due date would be September (Aka sapphire month). Well, lo and behold, yes I am due in September (hooray!) and this ring is a symbol of that hope and kind of like a good omen. My path towards second child was not an easy one, and so the timing of this ring felt like a very good sign <3

I also want to note the fact that my dear old dad picked it up for me! He lives 20 min from the border and I live 4.5 hours away from the border. My parents are the most down-to-earth people around and have zero interest in bling- so for him to offer to pick it up for me was SO nice of him. When parents indulge their children in interests that they themselves do not understand or relate to, it is such an expression of love, don’t you think? Just another example of how this ring symbolizes a lot of good feelings for me.

Anyways, back to the ring. It is gorgeous. It is antique. It is platinum which, despite my best efforts, I am hugely biased in favour of over white gold. The centre stone cannot be talked about in this thread, as I believe it might not be natural. The diamonds are tiny little OECs. As you can see from the side-profile, there are a million tiny little claws and settings and it is so darling. I just love it. And the ultimate shocker: I even WEAR it! This is significant because I cannot tell you what large number of pieces I have worn less than two times out of the house. So the fact that this ring is somewhat flashy (IMO) but still gets worn out of the house- is absolutely wonderful.

And a last note- sooooo I kind of feel greedy or like I’m cheating by saving up for baby bling when I already have this glorious and symbolic piece that relates to this baby. But pregnancy is not all fun and games, and delivery is not all roses and sunshine... and I gotta tell you, the idea of a nice new piece of bling waiting for me on the other side, to commemorate meeting my son and me being brave enough to even go down this path... well, I am certainly not strong enough to say no to that! So plans for baby bling will continue, despite the fact that I have this birthstone ring. Does this mean I should definitely go for earrings??

I hope you enjoyed the pictures! It is so hard to capture how lovely this ring is.

Now tell me- which piece do we want to hear about next? :) I am having lots of fun appreciating in detail the things I already own. Thanks for everyone’s support.
Oh wow, @pearaffair this piece is phenomenal. It reminds me of Diana engagement ring and Heart of the ocean in Titanic. I love this style of ring! Huge congratulation to the ring and your baby.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
On the question of what would you replace if everything was gone, I probably would go with a larger antique diamond, anywhere from 3.75 to 4.5ish carats in an antique setting, or inspired setting, a sapphire ring that faces up at a good size, a pair of diamond dangles, a stud earring and that's probably the core. The problem is I like collecting various things, and have repurchased pieces I have sold. I don't think a small capsule collection is for me, but curated, yes.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
On the question of what would you replace if everything was gone, I probably would go with a larger antique diamond, anywhere from 3.75 to 4.5ish carats in an antique setting, or inspired setting, a sapphire ring that faces up at a good size, a pair of diamond dangles, a stud earring and that's probably the core. The problem is I like collecting various things, and have repurchased pieces I have sold. I don't think a small capsule collection is for me, but curated, yes.
Very well said. I think I’d do the same.

daisygrl

Shiny_Rock
I am curious to know what is in that little red vintage box? (I love these vintage 20's boxes.)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has been working crazy hours and I’m a very pregnant lady with a toddler. So this exhausted bling-lover will leave you with a few photos and a short story:

Bought this ring off loupetroop, very kind seller, I completely forget who they were (sorry!) but this ring is adorable and I love doing black/gold coordinated outfits :)

The ring goes well with my black and gold Movado watch. DDFFB3FF-5A0A-437F-BDAB-236BCB09B991.jpeg C5B86DB5-3A34-4DF6-871B-5915FF02D700.jpeg 3A9266FA-851D-4F66-B494-56857F454BB3.jpeg

DorotheaBrooke

Shiny_Rock
This is such a great thread! I was nodding along in agreement the whole time, especially about working on the inside instead of the outside, and telling myself I should want less. Then I scrolled down to the first photos and thought - Ooooooh, look at that gold set with that diamond set, what a fabulous idea! You have some gorgeous pieces, and I'm enjoying the stories.

Seriously though, I think it's a good idea to focus on buying core jewelry pieces, if for no other reason than the ability to spend more $$$ on each piece. :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a great thread! I was nodding along in agreement the whole time, especially about working on the inside instead of the outside, and telling myself I should want less. Then I scrolled down to the first photos and thought - Ooooooh, look at that gold set with that diamond set, what a fabulous idea! You have some gorgeous pieces, and I'm enjoying the stories.

Seriously though, I think it's a good idea to focus on buying core jewelry pieces, if for no other reason than the ability to spend more $$$ on each piece. :)
If I spent all the time I spend on PS on learning French or piano... I would be an expert right now >.<!! Lol

I’m so glad you enjoyed reading and it means a lot to me that you like the style I was rocking! I really admire your style so I take your compliment as high praise.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
F35B3101-670A-478B-87B1-109251E839DB.jpeg CA47403C-4879-4463-AA14-2AC9C3E13D08.jpeg

This beautiful ring probably gets the most compliments out of everything I wear. The centre stone is 7mm and the setting is made by Gabriel & Co. I am a sucker for designer things (not that I can often afford them) so the beauty of this ring combined with the name brand STILL makes my heart flutter!

I first admired this setting when seeing pictures posted by @gemgirl. I complimented her on it (as one does) and somehow it came up that she was actually going to be selling it!!!! What?!!! I couldn’t believe my luck! I could never have afforded this setting brand new.

After some back and forth we figured out how on earth I would get my hot little hands onto this ring. It was a bit complicated because shipping to Canada from the US can be dicey and sometimes it is hard for me to get to the US. We eventually figured out a way to time it with a birthday trip DH and I were going on. We were driving to the US to stay at a hotel and go out for dinner- all sans our sweet little baby who would be staying with her grandparents! It was our first time away in about a year, and it was so exciting to think about going out for adult dinners in non-kid-friendly restaurants! I brought a dynamite dress I had bought just for the occasion (did you know a skilled seamstress can let out the hips?? Joy!!) and we went to museums and ate the most delicious foods. It was the best.

We picked up the ring from my US post office box and went home. Sweet memories all around. I put a temporary stone in the mount that I can talk about elsewhere on PS. I’m still not sure if I’ll put a diamond in there or what. But I definitely enjoy wearing it now.

Big thanks to @gemgirl for being so nice! Seller interactions always colour the way I feel about a ring, so her kindness to me was very much appreciated <3 46355E4B-C948-4FD9-A6D1-0FC10A8EB0B7.jpeg

lkolarik

Shiny_Rock
@pearaffair I think I spy a 3 or 5 stone rose cut ring hidden in there with your faves? Next to that glorious wide yellow gold band. Any story with that one?

autumngems

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
**ONLY BUY JEWELLERY YOU WILL WEAR EVERY DAY**
[This is a reminder for me to not be a hoarder of beautiful things. I appreciate them more when I wear them.]
^^^ I need to follow this rule, so much that I never wear

lydial

Brilliant_Rock
As someone who is in the process of upgrading both my diamond and setting for my “e-ring” (which only has the original baguettes from my actual e-ring but still has its spirit) and then got going on another upgrade (J to E CBI, I can’t help myself it was a good buy!) this was a good reminder to stop, even though I really want to buy the Erika Winters setting on LT....

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair I think I spy a 3 or 5 stone rose cut ring hidden in there with your faves? Next to that glorious wide yellow gold band. Any story with that one?
1AEBB219-BF77-49BA-8C56-529AB476C7C4.jpeg 5493AC2A-5E7E-4C0F-9E8F-94AFA71231AC.jpeg

What a keen eye you have! I knew that eventually a rose cut nut would spy this little pretty!

It’s a five stone, really chunky and small, I know absolutely nothing else about it lol. I was chatting with my goldsmith about how I was obsessing over rose cuts and would love to see one in person. A few weeks later he sent me a message- he got one in, preloved, would I be possibly interested? Well heck yes I was!!! I pretty much told him I wished I could rush right over and have a look, but he assured me he would hold it for me until I had a chance to snap it up (or not).

Well, the second I saw it I bought it without hesitation. Not a rose cut lover himself, he sold it to me for a song and now it is *mine*, alllllll mine!!!

It has great detail on the side but it’s hard for me to capture it with my phone. Perhaps I’ll try to get a good photo soon. I like to wear it paired with the wide gold band.

Now, the wide gold band: YEARS, no, DECADES ago my dad was working in some kind of gravel pit situation. Maybe road construction? Sewage? Drainage? Something like that. Anyways, amongst all the yummy rubble he finds this ring! He figures a relationship went sour and someone tossed it down the drain, or it slipped off their finger, or who the heck knows but it was going to be next to impossible to find the original owner. Fast-forward quite a few years, and he ends up having a daughter who is obsessed with jewellery. He says, “Oh, do you want this?” Uhhh YES, PLEASE!

It is probably the most valuable piece of jewellery I will ever be given by them! My parents are so down to earth, they would never buy such a thing for themselves or for others. Just makes this piece even more special :)

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
^^^ I need to follow this rule, so much that I never wear
You’re certainly not alone!

I’m a minimalist in nearly every other area of my life, it is shocking how much jewellery I like to simply hoard.

My new challenge is to make myself wear things on the regular (as opposed to “saving them”?!?!) and it makes it pretty obvious which items I’ll realistically never ever wear. Parting with them is another story though...

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As someone who is in the process of upgrading both my diamond and setting for my “e-ring” (which only has the original baguettes from my actual e-ring but still has its spirit) and then got going on another upgrade (J to E CBI, I can’t help myself it was a good buy!) this was a good reminder to stop, even though I really want to buy the Erika Winters setting on LT....
Oh man. I want that Erica Winters setting, too. I thought it sold? Maybe it’s being resold? Anyways it’s absolutely gorgeous but I am not hoarding at the moment.

Hear that, brain? I AM NOT HOARDING.

On a similar note, I recently came across this quote: “The opposite of addiction is connection”. So thank you, PSers, for helping me resist temptation by connecting with you over this exercise in collection appreciation :) <333

Queenie60

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair - this one of the most interesting and honest posts I have read on PS. I love your stories and your honest thoughts regarding your bling. Makes me think about what I have and what my future intentions are. You're a lady with a good soul! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you well. Take care. Q:wavey:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair - this one of the most interesting and honest posts I have read on PS. I love your stories and your honest thoughts regarding your bling. Makes me think about what I have and what my future intentions are. You're a lady with a good soul! Congratulations on your pregnancy and I wish you well. Take care. Q:wavey:
What a kind comment to wake up to!! Thanks so much for the well wishes and I’m so glad you’re enjoying this thread :)
I am, too!

As you figure out your own thought process and future bling plans, I’d love to hear about them!

Last edited:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@pearaffair .... I was wondering if you own a pear diamond?
It would make sense, right?!

Actually my namesake comes from my engagement ring, a labradorite or “rainbow moonstone” pear-shaped stone.

I still love this ring, but labradorite and sterling silver are not up to the challenge of everyday wear. It was a great ring to select at the time.

This is how it went down:

DH and I were discussing marriage. He gently asked me: “So, uhh, would you want to pick the ring, or would you want me to pick the ring?” *Please note, this is life BEFORE Pricescope lol*

So I told him, he could pick the ring but I would send him some ideas.

Fifty bajillion ring idea emails later... He suggests we pick it out together. So we selected this fun find off of Etsy. $125. Yay! 5B1ED0F5-5645-4444-B6E5-93600F1482AB.jpeg CCE64D0E-C5B7-41B4-8D3E-8B56E22D7A6F.jpeg 12D06959-54E7-454B-AF4A-598544BF88B0.jpeg

And bonus, my ring collection before Pricescope lol:

AEE4D3E1-0BF2-4C8F-B0CC-E02BE1FBC7CB.jpeg

What a mish mash!

lkolarik

Shiny_Rock
It would make sense, right?!

Actually my namesake comes from my engagement ring, a labradorite or “rainbow moonstone” pear-shaped stone.

I still love this ring, but labradorite and sterling silver are not up to the challenge of everyday wear. It was a great ring to select at the time.

This is how it went down:

DH and I were discussing marriage. He gently asked me: “So, uhh, would you want to pick the ring, or would you want me to pick the ring?” *Please note, this is life BEFORE Pricescope lol*

So I told him, he could pick the ring but I would send him some ideas.

Fifty bajillion ring idea emails later... He suggests we pick it out together. So we selected this fun find off of Etsy. $125. Yay! 5B1ED0F5-5645-4444-B6E5-93600F1482AB.jpeg CCE64D0E-C5B7-41B4-8D3E-8B56E22D7A6F.jpeg 12D06959-54E7-454B-AF4A-598544BF88B0.jpeg

And bonus, my ring collection before Pricescope lol:

AEE4D3E1-0BF2-4C8F-B0CC-E02BE1FBC7CB.jpeg

What a mish mash!
Ooh, should we start a "Your Ring Collection Before/After Finding Pricescope thread?

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    A Classic Solitaire
    A Classic Solitaire
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.