shape
carat
color
clarity

Pear Center Stone

MDFK_200

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I've spent the last 2 months shopping/researching round engagement rings for my girlfriend. I recently asked her to go shopping with me to get her input and it turns out she wants a pear shape. I know nothing about pears and a friend recommended this forum to me. I started searching online and wanted to get some advice on what to look for in a pear shape.

I found one that seems nice to me. Any comments would be greatly appreciated! Also, are there any concerns buying a center stone off the internet? I would think seeing it in person would be a necessity, but sounds like a lot of people are comfortable buying online.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/pear-shaped/0.90-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-1052909

Thanks in advance.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not a pear expert, but there looks to be a lot of mush at the tip and at the bottom - the center does has crisp facets which is what you want to see more of.

I suggest you post your budget and desired specs (any specific reason for such high color and clarity?) and the experts could make some suggestions!

luckyblackcat

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm also not an expert, but I LOVE pears!!! One thing to consider is that the pear shape can have a lot of variation (chubby pears, skinny pears, or funky pears with flat-edginess going on), so it's important to see photos of the actual pear you're getting if you can't see it in person. I personally adore chubby pears over skinny ones. Definitely worth asking your partner for further input if you haven't already! Good luck!!

P.S. Forgot to say that to my noobie eye, I love the shape of the pear you picked!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice choices EB!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
MDFK_20,
Since you are on the hunt for a fancy shape, I would recommend you become familiar with how to look at, read and interpret both an Ideal-Scope and ASET image, this will tell you a great deal about what to look for.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Diamond Jewelry For 4th Of July Quarantine Celebrations
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Fancy Greyish Yellowish Green Diamond
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring
    Phenomenal 3.01ct Cushion Brilliant Cut Engagement Ring

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.