shape
carat
color
clarity

PayPal is asking for my SS#

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I need advice and can't get through to anyone at PayPal. I ordered something from Alex Park. He sent an invoice, but when I try to pay, it says I have to put in my SS#. I have never had to do that before. I'm not comfortable with sharing my info. Has anyone else been asked to do this.

Thanks for your advice.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve done it before to verify my identity (not sure what triggered it). I know it seems kind of sketchy, but I made sure the URL was correct before providing info (I also signed out then back in again on an incognito browser, as most phishing attempts won’t go past the “surface” log-in). The request for my info was still there when I logged in again, so I provided it.

Does PP just ask for it when you try to pay the invoice using their link? Or does it ask for it to process any transaction? I was thinking you can just send the amount directly to Alex’s PayPal email and see if that works.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clicked the link in the email that PP sent. I think it might just be for this transaction because of the dollar amount. I don't use PP much, but I was never asked for my social before. Thank you so much for your advice! If all goes well, I'll be posting about my purchase.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve used both PP and Zelle to pay him with no issues @Diamond Girl 21 - another option in case PayPal doesn’t work out.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It might be because of that new $600 law about to take effect

I was thinking this too but when I did a little research it said they raised it to $10k because of the uproar. Now I'm not
sure what its at...$600 or $10K??? I'd really like to know!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your advice. The item has been ordered. Waiting is the worst part.

IndigoDime

Rough_Rock
Hello! I know this is an old thread, but would appreciate your advice! I wanted to inquire if anyone has paid him in cash/ thoughts about this? Thanks so much!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello! I know this is an old thread, but would appreciate your advice! I wanted to inquire if anyone has paid him in cash/ thoughts about this? Thanks so much!

I contacted him and placed my order through IG. He asked me how I would like to pay and I choose to use PayPal. My preferred method of payment is to use a credit card directly (for the extra protection), but that wasn't an option.

When you say cash, do you mean a transfer using Zelle?

Last edited:

IndigoDime

Rough_Rock
I contacted him and placed my order through IG. He asked me how I would like to pay and I choose to use PayPal. My preferred method of payment is to use a credit card directly (for the extra protection), but that wasn't an option.

When you say cash, do you mean a transfer using Zelle?

Thanks for your response! Did you have a good experience? No I meant via cash in person. I’ll tag @Eli22 and @DAF in the case they can chime in based on their previous work with him over Zelle!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're welcome! Yes, everything went very smoothly. I'm very happy with my purchase.

If you're seeing him in person and you want to pay cash, I don't think that's a problem.

Enjoy shopping!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your response! Did you have a good experience? No I meant via cash in person. I’ll tag @Eli22 and @DAF in the case they can chime in based on their previous work with him over Zelle!

Hi IndigoDime!

I paid for one of my purchases via Zelle (which is as good as cash) but had to break up into smaller transactions due to there being a transfer limit. My transaction went smoothly and I am very happy with the product I received.

Paying cash in person (esp if you will receive the item on the spot) should be fine!

I had a good experience purchasing from both him and Heather.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't click on a link in any email to put in personal information. Go to the actual website and login. That doesn't mean I advocate ever putting in your social. I would not recommend that and would try to find another way to pay. But if you choose to do it, please don't do it via a link through an email.

Also, I believe the $600 threshold was not adopted, at least not yet, so the old one still applies.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please don't click on a link in any email to put in personal information. Go to the actual website and login. That doesn't mean I advocate ever putting in your social. I would not recommend that and would try to find another way to pay. But if you choose to do it, please don't do it via a link through an email.

Also, I believe the $600 threshold was not adopted, at least not yet, so the old one still applies.

Thank you! I told Alex I wanted to pay via PayPal and he sent a bill with a link. I ended up going through my PayPal directly, but couldn't complete the transaction without an ss#. It definitely was an issue with PP.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I told Alex I wanted to pay via PayPal and he sent a bill with a link. I ended up going through my PayPal directly, but couldn't complete the transaction without an ss#. It definitely was an issue with PP.

That really doesn't make sense since you are a buyer, not a seller. So tracking "income" shouldn't come into play here. You are paying.....Not getting income. I'm assuming you are in the U. S. since you mention SS# so that can't be why. I've used PP tons to pay for things and have never been asked for my social.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That really doesn't make sense since you are a buyer, not a seller. So tracking "income" shouldn't come into play here. You are paying.....Not getting income. I'm assuming you are in the U. S. since you mention SS# so that can't be why. I've used PP tons to pay for things and have never been asked for my social.

Yes, I'm in the US, born and raised. I've used it a few times and never had to put in my ss# before, because my transactions are only purchases. I used PP to purchase a diamond which was a much more expensive purchase than this one, and they didn't ask for my ss#. It was very weird, but if I wanted to complete the transaction, I had to use it.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A wee bit too late to help. But I was in a similar situation with PP a few years ago. I had money in my account that I couldn't use because they wanted a photo of my SS card. I live abroad. My mom had my card. In the basement. Somewhere. It was effectively lost. PP would not accept any other form of verification. I spent months in a depressing circle chasing embassies and consulates, sometimes in 3rd party countries, all to no avail. I tried in vain to get a replacement. It was a bureaucratic nightmare. I finally got a hold of my card, and all was resolved. But man, PP will only accept that flimsy easily forged piece of dusty paper. No other proof is accepted.

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still can't imagine why they would need the SS# for someone who only purchases items and doesn't sell anything. It makes no sense to me and honestly, since Paypal can, and has been hacked, where personal info was stolen, I think it is irresponsible of them to request this information in situations where it isn't necessary. Maybe there is a reason why they ask for it, but again, I can't imagine what it is. And if they are asking for it, they should explain why. That's different than asking for it from someone who sells using Paypal as they need to report people who conduct business and reach a certain level of revenue. But that doesn't apply to buyers.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What really annoyed me was that they wouldn't even release the funds back to the sender. My dad sent me 200 dollars via f&f as a birthday present and 1.5 years later, it was still in limbo.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A wee bit too late to help. But I was in a similar situation with PP a few years ago. I had money in my account that I couldn't use because they wanted a photo of my SS card. I live abroad. My mom had my card. In the basement. Somewhere. It was effectively lost. PP would not accept any other form of verification. I spent months in a depressing circle chasing embassies and consulates, sometimes in 3rd party countries, all to no avail. I tried in vain to get a replacement. It was a bureaucratic nightmare. I finally got a hold of my card, and all was resolved. But man, PP will only accept that flimsy easily forged piece of dusty paper. No other proof is accepted.

Thanks for weighing in. I'm glad you finally got it sorted out.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still can't imagine why they would need the SS# for someone who only purchases items and doesn't sell anything. It makes no sense to me and honestly, since Paypal can, and has been hacked, where personal info was stolen, I think it is irresponsible of them to request this information in situations where it isn't necessary. Maybe there is a reason why they ask for it, but again, I can't imagine what it is. And if they are asking for it, they should explain why. That's different than asking for it from someone who sells using Paypal as they need to report people who conduct business and reach a certain level of revenue. But that doesn't apply to buyers.

I totally agree, and I have never gotten an answer from PP. I did freeze my credit, just in case.

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What really annoyed me was that they wouldn't even release the funds back to the sender. My dad sent me 200 dollars via f&f as a birthday present and 1.5 years later, it was still in limbo.

Oh no! That's ridiculous!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would love to just be done with PayPal. Unfortunately, many vendors will only accept that form of payment.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results