shape
carat
color
clarity

Paying to bring in stones in house

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

smooleys

Rough_Rock
I was talking with a vendor about finding a diamond for my ering and there is a diamond that on paper looks exactly like what I am looking for. The vendor said that I would have to pay for them to bring the stone in house and examine it. While I understand that a vendor can lose lots of money if they constantly pay to bring in stones and the people don''t buy them and then pay to ship them back, I have a problem with paying for something that I also don''t have any idea what it looks like. I don''t want pay for something that may or may not turn out to be a viable option. All the risk seems to be with me.

Is this typical industry practice and should I try to negotiate this fee? I''m just trying to get a feel of how this works. If a vendor doesn''t have what I''m looking for in their inventory, should I just look elsewhere? I believe other online vendors don''t make you pay to bring diamonds in house and examine them. Am I right?

Thanks for the input.

katamari

Ideal_Rock
Some do, some don't. However, the norm is to charge, from my experience, and it is usually around $40 to $50. They apply that to the purchase if you get the stone. And, if you are working closely with a sales rep and can articulate what you want effectively, they can help you narrow it down so that you are only calling in 2-3 stones.

Of the ones I dealt with for my e-ring purchase, GOG and WF did charge. JA did not. However, I think those who charge generally have access to more stones as a result.

ETA: We did spend about $150 bringing in stones that we didn't end up buying. However, we were looking for Asschers, which are really important to see to know if you like them or not. So, it was worth it for us to know we were getting 'the' diamond, even if it was coming out of our budget for the ring.

smooleys

Rough_Rock
I was told that I had to pay to bring it in and to ship it back if I didn''t want it. The cost was about $85. I''m looking for a round brilliant. That''s just for one stone. They don''t have much in inventory right now for what I''m looking for, which is 1.3-1.36ish, I, VS2.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm...I know some vendors charge only if you have them bring the diamond in and don''t want it, but what''s the likelihood of you not liking it if you''ve checked out the numbers and price already? I think it''s worth the risk, personally. What''s $85 when you''re spending thousands?

I know that might sound a little cavalier, but if you think about it, it''s true! What is $85-1% of the price of the ring? With rounds, it''s doubtful that you won''t like what you have them bring in if you''ve already checked out the numbers.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 8:37:51 PM
Author: smooleys
I was told that I had to pay to bring it in and to ship it back if I didn't want it. The cost was about $85. I'm looking for a round brilliant. That's just for one stone. They don't have much in inventory right now for what I'm looking for, which is 1.3-1.36ish, I, VS2.
No wonder, that is extremely limiting.
2.gif
You need to open things up a bit.

Here's a nice one. And the difference in size will not be noticeable.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3526/

smooleys

Rough_Rock
I am open to color and clarity changes for sure. You don''t think the size will be noticeable between a 1.22 and 1.31? I guess not too much. I was just hoping for a little bigger.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 9:09:24 PM
I am open to color and clarity changes for sure. You don''t think the size will be noticeable between a 1.22 and 1.31? I guess not too much. I was just hoping for a little bigger.
Ok, good. That might make things easier.
1.gif
As far as the difference, no, once you get past the one carat mark, you need bigger jumps in ct. weight, to make a really noticeable difference in size. Alone in a setting on a finger, you''re talking about basically the same look between these two.

I will have a look around, are you open to J''s (I will also search H''s), and SI1/SI2''s?

smooleys

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help! I am open to absolutely eye clean SI1''s, but would be hesitant to go below I in color. I prefer more icy than warmth. What would you say I would need above the one carat mark to be a noticeable in size? I could really see a difference between 1 and 1.3.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, I''ll just start listing, you can dismiss if you don''t like.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4604/

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2713/

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1151331.htm

This one is 7545.00

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies2008/ags0009472603/index.htm

It is really hard to find well cut stones in this size range (and I don''t know your budget). There just aren''t that many in a varity of colors/clarities, and I just kept running into the 1.20 ish range. But these are all nice stones. Of course you need to ask if eyeclean.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 9:40:17 PM
Thanks for your help! I am open to absolutely eye clean SI1''s, but would be hesitant to go below I in color. I prefer more icy than warmth. What would you say I would need above the one carat mark to be a noticeable in size? I could really see a difference between 1 and 1.3.
We posted at the same time.

I personally think anything 1.2ish and up is a very noticeable size.

smooleys

Rough_Rock
Yes, I''m figuring out that there is not much available right now in the 1.3ish range. The 1.29 is not bad. Do you know if I can get the table, depth, crown, pavilion angles on a stone before I pay to have it brought in house? This would make me feel more comfortable.

There is a 1.37, I, VS2 that I''m interested in, but would like to know more about it before shelling out to bring it in.

solange

Brilliant_Rock
When i had my stone sent in to Whiteflash, Lesley told me I was only obliged to pay the shipping fee if it met their expectations once they saw it. This was after an extensive discussion with Brian who felt the stone was an excellent value and. although SI 2, was eye clean.
The stone was shipped to an appraiser from the Pricescope list, where I could see it. THe appraiser felt that the stone was as described and agreed that it was all that Brian said it was and was well worth the price I aid.
It is unlikely that a dealer or vendor will want to take a stone out of circulation if it is apparent that it is almost certain to displease the potential buyer.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/14/2008 10:07:39 PM
Yes, I''m figuring out that there is not much available right now in the 1.3ish range. The 1.29 is not bad. Do you know if I can get the table, depth, crown, pavilion angles on a stone before I pay to have it brought in house? This would make me feel more comfortable.

There is a 1.37, I, VS2 that I''m interested in, but would like to know more about it before shelling out to bring it in.
That really depends on which supplier holds the stone. Some have great info; others do not.

Speaking as a vendor, we always get the data available on brokered stones. If the supplier doesn''t have anything more than a grading report reflecting depth, table and diameter, then we can''t get more information without bringing in the stone to run a Sarin ourselves.

MajorGroove

Rough_Rock
Wow, this thread is making me think I lucked out with my jeweler (Skalet Family Jewelers in Sacramento). I gave them my specs (which were admittedly pretty narrow), they checked out and brought in three different stones so I could examine and select the one I liked best. They charged me nothing for this, nor would they have charged me had I not chosen one of those stones. I think if I''d been charged, I would have thought twice, because it is difficult to select an SI1 stone based on its paper characteristics.

Blackhawk24

Rough_Rock
I''m working with James Allen on an oval. Since number can lie with an oval, I picked the 3 I liked best and am having them sent to an appraiser locally so that I can judge them. JA wants $100 to ship them in(and back) which I get $35 back from if I buy one, the appraiser gets $35/stone. I''m gonna be on the hook $205($170 if I buy one) for the 3 stones and I get an absolutely independent opinion, plus I get to see them for myself.

Bottom line is it worth $85/stone for the vendor to see the stone? Not to me, but for $57/stone for me to see the ones I''m interested is absolutely worth it.

PS: 1.28 I VS2 Scored a 1.0 on the HCA
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/I-VS2-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1052817.asp

Happy hunting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results