Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Pavilion Angle Effects on Dirt

Gnmu

Rough_Rock
I recently thoroughly cleaned my diamond, and noticed that the arrows were absolutely glowing! Normally I clean them and the arrows are bright, but it’s like the difference between a white screen on low bright brightness vs max brightness now.

This led me to think about pavilion angles. My diamond is 41.0 pavilion, which I’ve read can lead to some leakage, and steep pavilions overall tend to show dirt more. But just how much is this impact? Does anyone have reference photos of pavilion dirt with varying angles? Would I not need to so thoroughly clean my pavilions if it were Just 40.8 instead?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Wink has conducted some experiments in the past with shallow vs deeper diamonds as stud earrings.

IIRC his experience was that shallow diamonds perform better for longer when gathering dirt.

Karl_K

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There is nothing wrong with a 41 pavilion when matched with the right crown.
It would not react to dirt worse than 40.8.

It was @Garry H (Cut Nut) who performed the experement and while its an example of 1 pair and has little scientific value but was very interesting and sugestive. 41 to 40.8 isnt enough of a difference.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it was my experiment but not relevant here as it was about diamond studs. One Tolkowsky perfect and another shallower.
The area of leakage showing up in a dirty round diamond is not from the main or facet that looks like a star - it is more so from the adjoining facets which are about 1 to 1.3 degrees steeper than the main star making facet

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    August Birthstone 2020: Peridot
    Fabulous 5 Carat Emerald Cut and More!
    Fabulous 5 Carat Emerald Cut and More!
    Stunning Engagement Ring Upgrade
    Stunning Engagement Ring Upgrade

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.