shape
carat
color
clarity

Paris

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
DH and I are going on a family trip to Paris with his sisters and parents. Any good recommendations for hotel, restaurants, etc? Also any good wine tasting or vineyards kind of close by?

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I just looked up on my desk and saw my Rick Steve''s book on France. This reminds me that I need to give it to my daughter for her trip in September. I suggest also buying his book. Every time I use his book recommendations, we have had the best meals and the best spots to stay. It''s because he wants you to feel the trip from more than a touristy perspective and engage with real locals and the best non-touristy and usually cheaper spots to visit as well as the best tips for when things are closed and best times of the day/week to visit large popular spots. His books were the best investment I ever made before traveling to Europe. His also has a website where people post their experiences so that''s another option. Small quaint pampered service beats Americanized chain hotels, hands down.

I hope yo have a wonderful and safe trip!!
35.gif

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
We stayed at the Hotel Splendid Etoile and had a fantastic time. I''ve also stayed near the Opera as well as near the Marais, but the Splendid Etoile was by far the best location - you are literally a 2-minute walk to the Arc de Triomphe and, indeed, many of the rooms at the hotel have a balcony view over the Arc -- it was so wonderful, that my fiance decided to propose on our balcony at the hotel after a long day of sightseeing! The concierge speaks English and is incredibly helpful. You''ve got the Champs Elysees maybe a 5-minute walk away, and it''s connected to basically all of the Metro stations you''d ever need.

I''ve spent quite a lot of time in Paris, so I''m happy to give advice!

A great place for dinner is the Cafe des Hommes -- it''s attached to the Musee des Hommes, and it has floor-to-ceiling windows that overlook the Eiffel Tower. If you''re going during nice weather, you can also dine al fresco - the views are amazing, and I had a great filet there! For lunch, try the dining room at the Musee d''Orsay -- the food isn''t worth the price, but the surroundings are amazing - art and chandeliers galore! Otherwise, I always take my lunch from a creperie or boulangerie - nothing like a fresh baguette!

On my most recent trip, my favorite day was when we went to the Musee Rodin and wandered around the outdoor sculpture garden. We had great weather, it wasn''t crowded, and it''s in a lovely part of town. We walked from Orsay there and it took about 15 minutes, through gorgeous neighborhoods.

Consider a museum pass - I think we paid 30 pounds (we were living in London at the time) and it got us special admission or free admission to most of the big attractions -- well worth it!

HAVE FUN!

Krissie

Brilliant_Rock
I just found this photo - my lovely fiance presented me with my engagement ring on our balcony at the Hotel Splendid Etoile -- I told you we had a view of the Arc de Triomphe (as do many of the rooms there) -- just tell me HOW you can beat this view!!!

Cartierbalcony.jpg

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit, I loved the street vendors and little bistros so much that we never made it to a fancy restaurant. I can't wait to go back...the food alone is reason to go. I remember buying about a dozen pastries on the way to the airport and eating them the entire trip home. So yummy.

I have no idea where we stayed--isn't that awful? I'll blame that on the excitement of the engagement. I remember it was a little boutique hotel near the Eiffel Tower, there seemed to be a lot of smaller boutique-style hotels and I really, really loved them. Our hotel felt so quaint and lovely.

Anyway, I realize this isn't much help but just wanted to say that it's really hard to go wrong in the hotel/food department in Paris, there are just so many great places!

Enjoy yourselves!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 3:56:45 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
I have to admit, I loved the street vendors and little bistros so much that we never made it to a fancy restaurant. I can't wait to go back...the food alone is reason to go. I remember buying about a dozen pastries on the way to the airport and eating them the entire trip home. So yummy.
I soooo agree w/this. I laugh at myself because I bought a loaf of bread and other goodies from Poliane's http://www.poilane.fr/ their bread is amazing and I ate it on the plane.
3.gif
We also bought Pain au chocolat and climbed the steps up to the top of Sacré-Cœur Basilica and sat on the steps, listened to the music and took in the views of the city which are amazing! We stayed in the Opera area which is pretty convenient to lots of thing; I would have to check where we stayed but something with Opera. I love the crepe vendors where they make the crepe's fresh (not the premade ones) also, Charger, gives a great creperie recommendation. The ice cream is like nothing you ever tasted at Berthillon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berthillon! How exciting!!! eta: thanks Charger!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I used to go to Paris every summer and we always stayed in the latin quater. It''s beautiful around that area especially around Place Monge. Even if you don''t stay around that area, take a subway to Place Monge and if you come out of the station and walk up the hill, there are beautiful restaurants around there. The hotel that we used to stay in has closed down unfortunately and I think it was the holiday inn at Place Monge that we stayed in last time.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Appletini!

Lucky you! I just got back from my first trip to Paris. I love, love, loved it! How long do you think you''ll be there?

We had a place to stay while we were there (a flat in Montmartres) so I can''t advise on accomodations. We didn''t particularly plan our meals -- Michellin-rated restaurants were out of the question! -- but stumbled into a lot of good meals despite ourselves. I had several good meals at the French version of the corner bar & grill. We had great food, especially salads and antipasti, at Itallienne restaurants. Crepes from street stands, pear tarts, coissants, macarons, and baguette sandwitches at bakeries.... but I do have a recommendation or two.

Consider having a prix fixe lunch at bar a manger (www.baramanger.canalblog.com), just off Rue Rivoli not far from Ste. Chapelle and Notre Dame. My SIL and I stumbled on this little gem, and were rewarded with the most quintessentially French meal we could have imagined, for only 13 euro each.

Be sure to have a croque monsieur (broiled ham and cheese sandwich, though that description doesn''t do it justice) at some point.

Ice cream at the original Bertillon on Isle St Louis -- it''s worth the wait in line. Don''t pull out a camera to take a picture, however, unless you''re willing to risk your chance to have some awesome ice cream for a mere snapshot. (Think ice cream nazi ranting in French).

In a non-food vein, consider reading some good travel essays before you go to help you find some of the city''s hidden treasures. I''m enjoying "The Collected Traveler: Paris." The parts I read before going to Paris were very helpful. The parts I didn''t get to then are making me want to go back!

When you get there, pick up a detailed street and metro guide at the first newsstand you see. There are several tourist information booths throughout the city that are also worth checking out. We found their staff to be really helpful... and they have free maps that are pretty useful.

Have a wonderful time!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results