shape
carat
color
clarity

Paris proposal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

doctork

Shiny_Rock
I have a trip to Paris planned in September, and I plan to propose there. I know it''s a big topic here and has been discussed many times in the past (I searched) but I decided to give it another go
2.gif

I was originally hoping to take a water somewhere along the Sienne River where the tower is in view, and propose there, then go for dinner & drinks at some place I''ll reserve, or maybe have the hotel leave a bottle of champagne in our room.

One thing I was concerned about in Paris is safety. I''ve heard quite a few stories of petty theft, muggings, etc. If we are out walking somewhere at night enjoying the view, I assume that would make us a target for the criminals.

sklingem

Brilliant_Rock
Believe me, Paris is probably much safer than any major US city. You are going to be in a very touristy place with lots of people around you, which makes it safer as well. And people don''t carry guns! How safe is that! Of course there is a risk in any city. Don''t carry cash (obvious), lots of jewelry/valuables and keep a copy of your passport and the credit card hot line phone number in your hotel room. And have the ring insured! Relax. Just have fun.
I have lived in Europe (been to Paris several times) and the US and I have always felt MUCH safer in Europe, no matter where!!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
We had a Paris proposal and I never once felt unsafe wearing my ring.

We actually saw a couple of other proposals while we were there (both along the Seine). Apparently it really is the city of love!

The Eiffel Tower from the Seine is beautiful, but I would definitely suggest a private cruise. The normal sightseeing cruises are pretty busy, so there would be no privacy.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Do be aware as theft is a bigger problem there than here. You might try the ilse (sp) st louis. It is the next island over from the one Notre Dame is on. It is old, secluded, has some great veiws and is much less touristy. I think you would be safer out of touristy areas, since that is wher theives congrigate.

DIShayley

Rough_Rock
Paris is safe - you just need to be on your guard like any other major city.

Keep the ring somewhere safe (an inside pocket?) just in case of pickpockets, and take care in places like the Metro. I''ve *touch wood* never been mugged, or pickpocketed whilst there and I''ve been there many, many times.

I LOVE Paris, it''s my very favourite city. When it gets dark, the Eiffel Tower sparkles for 10mins every hour on the hour. I can''t remember exactly what time the sparkles start - but if you find out when they first start, say 7pm for example, sneak a picnic blanket and a bottle of champagne in your backpack and propose on the Champs du Mars right when the Tower starts sparkling.

OR propose, and then have dinner in one of the restaurants in the Tower.

Ahhh, did I mention I LOVE Paris!!

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
Hiya Doc...

Good that you took my advice and posted a new questions sepcifically regarding your Paris proposal - as per our dicsussion on hte other thread my lifestyle (living half my life in europe and half in Asutralia) has meant that I ahve spent many a day in Paris - I have lots of Parisien friends and I am more than happy to provide you with some advice from my experiences.....

Your ideas sound great - and there are some really really great things to see in Paris - how far have you got down the bookiung path (ie -do you ahve a hotel or anything) - if not then I can try to advise on some good ones that won''t break the bank - I actually know this awesome little (not TOO expensive hotel) in Paris which, despite being a 3.5 star, is much better than many of the 5 star hotels I ahve stayed in - if you want to know the name I''ll look up the details - i have stayed there a few times and it really is what you imagined Paris hotels to be in the 1930''s - old world art, great old furniture and statues, gorgeous food, and service that is second to none (note, the French are not known for their great service, especially to Brits)......... As an Australian everyone loves me - provided that my British girlfriend does not let them hear her very posh Kentish accent then we are OK!!!
9.gif

You mentioned safety - I have never (fingers crossed) had any problems in Paris in all of my travels - although I would advise that you exercise caution - I can give you some details that may help. I speak a little french and know enough to get by, this also lets me know what people are saying and helps avoid any danger - the metro in Paris can be quite intimidating, especially late at night, but I have never had any troubles. Its like any city, there are places that you simply would not wander around late at night by yourself - on the whole though, you will be more interested in seeing the busy touristy parts of the city which will have lots of people and activity - stick to these areas and you will feel very safe...

Also, if you do not speak french learn some simple things.

I think if you are careful and cautious then you should have no problems!! Also, keep in mind that you will be travelling in around 10-12 weeks time right?? THis is near to the peak of the tourist season so everywere will be busy, even at night! You should have no real problems here and in regards to safety - just keep your wits about you! Like I have said, I have never had any problems!

Walks along the Seine can be gorgeous, but there are also areas that you would not want to walk along (many homeless people live under the famous brigdes of Paris!! The best section is that areas near to Ile do Cite (the island with the Notre Dame Cathderal) through to Pont Alexander III (Bridge) - this is one of the most spectacular bridges I have ever seen and at a great junction between the Hospital de Invalids (former military hospital, then care home, now a museum) and the area near to Place de La Concorde...... (basically a huge big, noisy intersection with 1 million cars!)

In all honesty, I could probably write a book about my favourite parts of Paris - just let me know anything you have in mind and I''ll see if I can fill in the gaps!

In my mind - most romantic things (things to consider in looking for a place to propose - I will stick by my previous comments that Pallais Challiot is the perfrect proposal location, night view from Arc de Triomphe, walk down Champs Elysses, Wandering around Ile de La Cite, daytime walks in Jardin Tuilleries - there are of course all of the touristy things, many of which are spectacular (Pantheon, Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, grave of Jim Morisson if your a Doors fan, Napoleons tomb, a trip around Louvre, the list goes on.........

There is lots of info that you may need (such as buying a Carnet de Ticket, places to eat etc....)

I will write a longer, more detailed post later to give you some details and ideas to think about!! Give us some details on how many days you have, when/how you would like to propose etc and I''ll recommend some places.

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/29/2008 7:06:24 PM
Author: DIShayley
Paris is safe - you just need to be on your guard like any other major city.

Keep the ring somewhere safe (an inside pocket?) just in case of pickpockets, and take care in places like the Metro. I''ve *touch wood* never been mugged, or pickpocketed whilst there and I''ve been there many, many times.

I LOVE Paris, it''s my very favourite city. When it gets dark, the Eiffel Tower sparkles for 10mins every hour on the hour. I can''t remember exactly what time the sparkles start - but if you find out when they first start, say 7pm for example, sneak a picnic blanket and a bottle of champagne in your backpack and propose on the Champs du Mars right when the Tower starts sparkling.

OR propose, and then have dinner in one of the restaurants in the Tower.

Ahhh, did I mention I LOVE Paris!!
This is whatI suggested to the Doc last week - the sparkles used to start at 9pm, but in the summer ths sun is still up till abotu 10pm so the 10pm or 11pm ''sparkles are the best!!!!

I suggested booking a table in the Jules Verne restaurant on level 2 of the tower, followed by a walk up to Palais Chialiot to wathc to lights come on and pop the big Q............

doctork

Shiny_Rock
DJQ,

We are staying at http://www.thefivehotel.com that''s all we have planned thus far. My girlfriend speaks a lot of French so we should be find in that regard. We are a little wary on the issue of safety because we were recently mugged on a trip to another city that was considered safe.

I would love to propose on the first or second day we are there because it will be our anniversary, and plus it will set the rest of the week up to be extra special. We are there for 7 days.

I will do some research on the places that you and everyone else has mentioned, and report back with my thoughts! I really appreciate the input.

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
Hey Doc,

My recommendation would be:

Palais Challiot for a late afternoon/early evening proposal – followed by dinner in a nearby restaurant. Easy to get to, great views of the tower, and if you time it right you can be there as the lights and fountains go off (hourly from 9pm) – spectacular place!

Eiffel Tower

My preference (if it were me) would be to have views OF the tower rather than propose in the tower – to me its just a big old viewing platform. More often then not you have to line up for half hour to get the lift up, it can be busy and crowded which may not create the best mood/place for popping the question…keep in mind you are going there in Sept, peak holiday season and I would expect there to be large queues and lots of people pretty much all day!

If it’s an Eiffel tower proposal that you are after then might be best to book a table at the Jules Verne restaurant on the second level – the restaurant has its own lift and if you have booked you won’t have to wait – overall a more special experience in the tower for a proposal (although definitely do the visit to the top at some stage) anjd quite a famous restaurante anyway so will add to the experience!

Evening proposal

If it’s a late evening proposal that you are after then the Palais Challiot still takes the cake – best night views in Paris! You could also opt for an Eiffel tower late night proposal as there will be less people around late at night and you might get some privacy

Other option, after dinner a walk up Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe – I think its open till about 11pm and a late night proposal on the top would be great – terrific vies up here and the scene of some of the most important events in European history.

Daytime proposal

Many of the parks and gardens are simply gorgeous –especially in August/Sept – could be a great way to propose. The other option would be some of the areas along the Seine – especially down towards Ile De La Cite (the island with Notre Dame) – this idea might work as, despite being busy, you could always find a place with a bit of privacy somewhere along the Seine or in a park – if the weather is nice and it’s a lovely day it could be very special (and would give you the entire evening to celebrate – I know from another post that having time for it to sink in afterwards would be the best

There are lots of more specialized options if you want to add something of significance, such as:

Monet and the Giverny Gardens

Not sure if this appeals but if your girlf is interested in art this could be a gret idea – on day one take her to the Louvre to see all the art, including the section with the Monet paintings – notably the ‘Monet garden scenes for which he is famous……the gardens where he did these paintings is not far from Paris in Giverny (not sure of spelling). So whilst in the Louvre you could suggest that you go visit the gardens the following day – of course you will have pre-arranged a limosine to take you there anyway!! You could propose in the Giverny gardens which are spectacular – that way every time you see a famous Monet painting you could tell people ‘we got engaged right there!

Palace of Versailles (Chateau de Versailles)

One of the most spectacular buildings and gardens in all of France – Louis 14th’s ‘gift’ to the people (although, I suspect that he quite enjoyed having such a lavish house!!!!!) – no doubt busy during tourist season, but a spectacular place none-the-less….

If it were me

If it were me, I would want to arrange a special engagement somewhere in Paris, with great views of the Eiffel tower – after all, that’s what its known for. I would probably string a few of the sights together in one evening and carry the ring until I found the perfect place.

You know my preference for the Palais Challiot and this would be perfect for a number of reasons……

You could easily sneak it into the itinerary for dinner – book a restaurant for the evening. When you leave the hotel get the metro directly to the Trocadero in the 16th Arondisement (this station is right near the viewing area that looks over the tower….literally only a few hundred metres walk).

Arrive at the viewing area just in time for the lights to come on the tower – giving yourself enough time to find a secluded (or semi-secluded area) – watch the lights come on …..hey presto ‘WILL YOU MARRY ME’

If its too busy, or doesn’t feel right to propose there (for whatever reason), then it will certainly set the scene for a proposal later that evening……

DJQ

PS (I reiterate my advice for hot chocolate at the Cafe Angelina ......best hot chocolate in the entire universe!)

Diamond Joe Quimby

Rough_Rock
And Doc, I checked your hotel out on Tripadvisor - actually looks really good - think you have made a great choice there!! For American''s (I assume your in the US) some european hotels are a dissappointment because they are often expensive and a lot smaller (and older) to what you Americans are used to! PAris has some horrible hotels - but looks like you got a really good one!!!!

It looks like its is a good area and only 500-600 metre from the metro station. The metro in Paris is invaluable in getting around because the city is very spread out!

When you get there, buy a ''CARNET DE TICKET'' (roughly pronnounced CAR NAY DE TICKET) from any metro station - it literally translates as ''BOOK OF TICKETS'' or ''GROUP OF TICKETS and is a pack of ten metro tickets (which are these funny little biuts of paper about a quarter the size of a credit card...... its the best way to buy tickets for the metro and works out to be only a few euros per travel! Use the metro where you can - its easily sign posted and easy to use with colour coded lines - the direction of travel is nominated by the end station on the line........

Its very simliar to the tube in London! (except about one tenth the price!).

Honestly, Paris is reasonoably safe in most areas - you will be sticking to the busy areas with lots of tourists - even during the night time it is busy! So you should have no problems - the only areas where I feel really unsafe is in the Montmarte area (red light district) - well away from where you are staying, the only real tourist drawcard there is the Soucre Cour Cathederal (Cathederal of the Sacred Heart) and the Moulin Rouge (neither of which would be too high on my itinerary as a tourist!!).

The area around Palais Challiot and Trocadero is very safe - it is the part of Paris where ther are lots of foreign consulates etc (as well as a really nice Ferrari dealership if you are looking for a new car.....) its an expensive area with literally police on every corner!!

There are lots of armed police in most tourist areas inclduing a large presence around the eiffel tower, louvre, arc de triomph and nearby localities - I think wit hteh state of hte world there is concern that these busy tourist places and well known areas could be targets for terrorism and the security in these locations is upgraded appropriately!

I would not think you will have much trouble!

doctork

Shiny_Rock
Paging Diamond Joe Quimby! Are you around? I''d like to speak with you...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results