shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba?

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
How can I find out if this is worth anything?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can start by having taking it to an independent appraiser. Don't rely on those in jewelery stores no matter how tempting that may be, they'll tell you anything. Make sure its someone that knows colored gemstones. Taking it to someone who only really does diamonds does you no good.

Independent lab reports go a very long way. That will tell you the level of treatment on the stone. More in depth reports can give you some indication where the stone came from and the color composition, etc.

Whats your location?

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
Louisiana New Orleans. I I am thinking about sending it to the Gia would that be a good be idea?

S

SparkliesLuver

Personally, I'd send it to AGL.

S

SparkliesLuver

Sure thing! Sorry. The main thing is that GIA is more for diamonds whereas AGL is really for colored stones.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, NOLA, one of my favorite cities. GIA is ok, one of my paraibas has a report from GIA. But AGL will give you more in-depth info. Not sure of the cost difference, if any.

S

SparkliesLuver

Since we all love the material, would you mind sharing a picture of your paraiba in question? :) Also, let us know where you decide to send it.

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Since we all love the material, would you mind sharing a picture of your paraiba in question? :) Also, let us know where you decide to send it.
I know. I got on this thread and was wondering where is the pic of this beauty?

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
08-09-2018_19-33-46.jpg

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
08-09-2018_19-32-39.jpg

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
IMG_20180908_143008.jpg

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
2nd AGL for a gemstone report. Depending on a number of factors (size being one of them) you might want to spring for a prestige report. Otherwise, start with a gem brief.

http://aglgemlab.com/the-prestige-report/
OR
http://aglgemlab.com/gembrief/

http://aglgemlab.com/pricelist/

GIA used to have a list of appraisers on their website (I can't seem to locate it at the moment though)
But I did locate one for you
http://www.neworleansjewelryappraisers.com/
thank you for that!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for posting a picture, @traser579. Do keep us posted as to what you find out! :)

voce

Ideal_Rock
It really depends on the size and quality, as well as origin. Only a lab can verify the origin of your stone if you want to sell.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
does anyone know what the prices per carat on this type of stone:read:

Probably easier if you provide more details, some which you wouldn’t have until you Send in for certification. Prices vary wildly depending on origin (Brazil or Africa), color and intensity of color, size, clarity, cut...

Smaller stones have lower price/carat since larger stones are rarer for example.

You may want to look around eBay or some of the vendors like Paraiba International to have a look at prices. But if you sell it yourself, eBay is a better gauge I think since you are not a “reputable vendor” that can maybe charge a premium.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, from your photos, it does not look like it has the intensity of color/neon glow to be a Paraiba. Looks more like a regular greenish blue tourmaline or zircon...

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
Honestly, from your photos, it does not look like it has the intensity of color/neon glow to be a Paraiba. Looks more like a regular greenish blue tourmaline or zircon...
So the greenish blue appearance can happen in regular tourmaline?

S

SparkliesLuver

I've seen prices from $1k/ct to $10k+/ct. It depends on many factors!

Yes, the greenish blue appearance happens regularly in tourmaline.

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
IMG_20181106_032311.jpg IMG_20181106_032337.jpg

turned out to be glass :cry:

so is it even worth it to send this other one?
custom checker0.jpg checker39.jpg

traser579

Rough_Rock
Trade
I went with the GIA

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the other stone will turn out to be the same.
Where did you purchase these gems? Did you buy them as being natural gems?
You could try a Pawnbroker store or Jeweller to see if they have a Presidum gem tester. Hopefully they should do it for free!
A Presidum gem tester has its limits BUT it can easily identify glass.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry this happened to you, but tha is for the update. Care to share who ripped you off?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Geez, I'm so sorry about it. Any chance of reaching out to the vendor and getting your money back based on false advertising?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for coming back and sharing the outcome, no matter how disappointing. I hope there is a way that you can be made whole on these stones.

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Definately get your money back. scammers are unbelieveable! They think they will get away with it and they usually do :(

I hope you get a refund soon.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you for coming back and letting us know the results. As the saying here goes, "trust but verify." I'm glad you did just that. And I'm sorry the results were what they were. :( Unless you feel like you have to know, I probably wouldn't send the other stone, especially if it's from the same vendor.

ETA: Since you asked the question earlier, I figured I'd show you my best example of the color (in a non-copper bearing tourmaline):
BigTourm.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, so sorry that the results were what they were. If they were purchased from the same seller , then likely also glass. ((hugs)) its never easy getting that kind of answer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results