shape
carat
color
clarity

"Paraiba" tourmaline recut by Jerry Newman

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
So I've had a Mozambique cuprian tourmaline for years that I thought had a wonderful color...but had a window big enough to drive a truck through! I finally decided to have it recut by Jerry Newman of Gem Art Services, and was very pleased by the result. The stone is fairly included, but I think it was a fair trade off for the color. Here are some pictures of the original stone before the recut, it was a 1.9ct emerald shape step cut:

windowed_tourmaline_indoors_1.jpg

windowed_tourmaline_indoors_on_hand.jpg

windowed_tourmaline_outdoors_far.jpg

windowed_tourmaline_outdoors_close.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Here are the pictures of the stone after the recut, about 1.1cts and in a "long diamond cut." Jerry did let me know that he would have to lose an unusual amount of weight to get the stone to perform to what I was hoping for. I thought he did a great job, final dimensions were: 8.25 x 4.4 x 3.4 mm (initial dimensions were 9.59 x 5.98 x 3.69).

recut_tourmaline_indoors.jpg

recut_tourmaline_indoors_on_hand__gold_holder_.jpg

recut_tourmaline_outdoors_1.jpg

recut_tourmaline_outdoors_in_grass.jpg

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
Last two pictures of the recut stone, the stone is actually much more of a glowy blue in person.

recut_tourmaline_outdoors_far.jpg

recut_tourmaline_outdoors_close.jpg

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a colour!!! Lucky!! Setting plans, if any?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone; you are indeed lucky to have such a tourmaline. Jerry worked his magic again and did an excellent job as usual.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I bet it made you a bit nervous to give it to Jerry and I bet you anything he was a bit nervous to receive it, but everything turned out well! Good for you for taking the risk.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Its truly stunning!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very Cool!
Beautiful photographs. :appl:

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Wowza! What an amazing job at closing that window up! It's a beautiful, beautiful colour as well. Just amazing. Can we have more pics? :D I agree, the inclusions just don't matter when you have colour like that. It's definitely my second favourite colour of gemstone. Lucky you!

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

Nice result. I think you were lucky. Jerry is very nice, isn't he. He takes his work very seriously. Once, after he cut a stone for me, and didn't hear from me again, he emailed me worried I didn't like his work. I was sick at the time and just hadn't emailed him on the stone. i believe we are lucky to have a cutter who will do these re-cuts for us.

Nice pics. Enjoy it!

Annette

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous colour!! and no more truck driving!!

What are your setting plans? It looks beautiful on your hand... I can't imagine waiting to get it set, so you could wear it and admire it all the time!!!

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
@ NKOTB & Enerchi: No setting plans for now (I have a couple other projects in line before this), I wish I had NKOTB's skill set for finding pre-loved settings, it would make it easier! I think that I will unfortunately have to go the custom route with this one. Eventually I will probably have a fairly simple setting like a halo; but I very well may start sketching other ideas when I get around to it. The rectangle shape makes it a little more difficult for me.

@ Minousbijoux: I was super paranoid about sending it in the mail as there is no way I could find a comparable stone now (without paying out the nose). Thus I sent it via registered mail, and actually asked Jerry to send it back via registered mail (which he had no problem doing). I spoke with my wife about the possibility of the stone being a huge or possibly complete loss, and we both decided that it was worth the risk. As always, Jerry was a consummate professional, and very upfront about what he would have to do and potential issues. He was also very fast about getting it done!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider a rose gold bezel set EW since it is 8 x 4 mm? The corners are very pointy and with it being an almost irreplaceable tourmaline, I would want to protect the tips as much as possible in a ring stone.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, the colour is amazing.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Too bad about the original window! The recut looks very nicely done. Can't wait to hear what your setting plans for it end up becoming!

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1376582100|3503728 said:
Would you consider a rose gold bezel set EW since it is 8 x 4 mm? The corners are very pointy and with it being an almost irreplaceable tourmaline, I would want to protect the tips as much as possible in a ring stone.

Ohhhhh this is a fabulous idea

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wonderful setting idea, Chrono -- wow, rose gold. For a wow re-cut on a fabulous stone. Improved it immensely -- I can imagine how nervous you were to put it in the mail. I wish you could set it right away; I'm dying to see it done!

--- Laurie

OTL

Brilliant_Rock
Incredible color! That's the unreal color paraibas should have!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the others who agree with Chrono - bezel set it in rose gold! :cheeky: :love: It will look amazing and be protected all in one!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Minous.

Xrisus

Shiny_Rock
That actually is something I have not thought of, a rose gold setting. I was surprised at how great it looked with the yellow gold temporary ring holder...now I have to see if I can find something rose gold to surround the stone with to simulate a rose gold setting. I've also been thinking that if I make it a ring I may semi-bezel it east-west. Hopefully that will keep the corners protected but still give the stone an open feeling.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results