shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline Opinion & Advice

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
Just want to say thank you for this great forum. I have been scouring it for as much information and pictures I can find for a couple months now and it's been very helpful.

I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on the paraiba. I'm not a really a gem hobbyist, just looking for something to turn into an engagement ring. I'm trying to find a very high quality paraiba and am willing to go smaller in carat size for better quality. Anyways after searching and searching, I feel this one has pretty good color and clarity, albeit with many inclusions.

Please let me know where you think this lands in quality scale. Based on limited supply is it possible to find anything much better in the .75 to 1.25 ct scale?

Thanks in advance!

paraiba_16.jpg

paraiba_17.jpg

paraiba_18.jpg

paraiba_21.jpg

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm no expert so I'm not going to chime in about that gem. This is definitely a gem you would have to baby so keep that in mind.

What's your budget? There's nothing better than spending someone else's money (especially when I'm trying to behave) :naughty: .
Have you checked out paraiba international? He has some gorgeous pieces.

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
Is it all the inclusions that make you say this one would have to be babied?

I am concerned with durability of paraibas in general and have debated considering a whole different stone because of that. She's a big fan of Tsavorite Garnets, but obviously the Paraiba color is tops.

I was hoping to stay in the $5k range, which I'm not sure is enough to consider a paraiba. I could maybe stretch a little for the right one. If anybody knows of any good dealers of paraibas out there I am open to recommendations

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Paraiba's have to be babied due to the MOH of 7-7.5. They are gorgeous stones and the color truly can not be beat, in my opinion, but it may not be the best choice for an everyday ring. Unless she would be very careful with it. I have a paraiba (also very included) and I only wear it when I know i can baby it.

For an everyday ring, I would pick something higher on the MOH scale (diamonds, ruby, sapphire, chrysoberyl, and spinel for example).
I don't want to tell you what to do so that's definitely your choice. Is she stuck on a paraiba?

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
She's pretty flexible but fell in love with the Paraiba color. Lol she has quite a few items in here wardrobe that are already that neon blue green, so it was pretty obviouse before I even showed them to here. That's why I wanted to explore the paraiba route first. I guess I need to find out more how she plans to where it.

Alternatively I googled Moh scale for several gems and appears a Tsavorite is less hard than a tourmaline. That's a bit of a bummer because that was my fall back if I couldn't find a Paraiba.

I'd still like to a get a few opinions on this Paraiba if anybody else out there can advise.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope someone else can chime in about your current choice. I am definitely not an expert. Do you have any other pictures in different lighting conditions?

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
elle_71125|1488068104|4133660 said:
A good paraiba can take some searching (especially if you haven't recently won the lottery) :D .

Lol, that's an understatement.

Unfortunately, those are the only pictures I received. If I consider it further, I'd have to ask the seller for more pictures.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When choosing a paraiba, I recommend to view the stone and take photos in different lighting conditions. Not all paraibas glow! Personally, I'd rather choose a glowy stone than a clean one, as long as the inclusions are not bothersome. Paraibas are typically included but a nice protective setting can do the trick. I've seen super clean paraibas and the included ones are more attractive when glowy. If you can get glowy and clean the better! Even a small one when glowy would look bigger. I wear mine everyday and the stone is included. I had set it low with a halo so it is protected. Will you consider a cabochon? This cut is more durable than faceted ones and friendlier on the budget. Paraibas are nice in cabochons, IMHO.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a heads up, it's usually pretty quite around here on the weekend. Keep your chin up until Monday and you'll get plenty of feedback. :D

Oh, and Yvonne at Cecile Raley designs usually has a couple pieces. She just came back from The Tucson gem show so it may be worth reaching out and seeing if she has anything else (not yet posted).
https://www.etsy.com/shop/yvonneraley?ref=condensed_trust_header_title_items

OldTownChi

Rough_Rock
Thank you both. Lots of good info.

GLbluegreen

Shiny_Rock
Hi. I am not well versed in Paraiba either, but I will give you my 2 cents from what I have learned about them so far. And yes, I am a Paraiba addict :naughty: But what I have read on this great forum is that unless the neon really screams at you it is not of the highest quality. They say that when you see a really excellent quality one you will just be blown away. Now with that said, I for one am not able to afford a super ideal Paraiba. However, I did enlist the help of Adam at Paraiba International and he found me an affordable one that is very pretty. Smaller than I would like of course, but a true Brazilian Paraiba with some glow. Not knock you over glow, but you can tell it has that little bit something different that makes it desirable. I hope to one day be able to afford another one and like Seaglow noted above, I would rather have one with some minor inclusions as long as it has that ideal glow.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a cabochon over any stone with a window. To my eye, the stone you posted looks like an aquamarine or maybe topaz. It's not lighting off sparks with the glowy color paraibas are known and coveted for. It's a tall order, but that's what you're going to want to see when you look down at the stone.

I found this shop in a moonstone hunt. I think the paraibas shown are lovely and well priced.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenTreasureGems?ref=l2-shopheader-name

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1488205394|4134259 said:
I prefer a cabochon over any stone with a window. To my eye, the stone you posted looks like an aquamarine or maybe topaz. It's not lighting off sparks with the glowy color paraibas are known and coveted for. It's a tall order, but that's what you're going to want to see when you look down at the stone.

I found this shop in a moonstone hunt. I think the paraibas shown are lovely and well priced.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/HiddenTreasureGems?ref=l2-shopheader-name

Ooh...pretty pretty. :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless she is willing to baby her ring (not wear it at home at all and not wear it for more vigorous outdoor activities), both tourmaline and tsavorite garnet aren't suitable as engagement ring stones.

S

SparkliesLuver

Hello! I don't consider myself to be a paraiba expert, but I do own one and some melee, so please take my honest thoughts for a grain of salt. Because in the end, it's the two of you who have to love it!

The one you posted doesn't have that glow about it that paraibas are known for. While it's a nice stone it looks more like an aqua. What about the paraiba color did she fall in love with? Do you have any pictures? Because paraibas come in neon blue, green, blue-green, green-blue, etc.

While I'm not sure I'd recommend a tourmaline for an everyday wear ring, I wouldn't wear a paraiba everyday. I mainly say that because of their rarity. I'd be devastated if I chipped or cracked my paraiba. And honestly, for perspective, I've only worn mine twice; I'm pretty nervous to wear it, to say the least.

If she loves the color, why not make a band out of paraiba melee? That way you could still have the color but with less risk of damaging the stones. You could also buy extra melee as back-up. See my picture below. If I were you, I'd keep looking. And if the $5k is for the stone, you can definitely afford something else. Get in touch with Adam - elle mentioned his website earlier. He's an awesome guy and, truth be told, he's usually open to offers on his stones.

_39109.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results