shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba Tourmaline Engagement Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jzauls

Rough_Rock
First off, I would like to say this is a great forum. I have been looking for something like this for a while. I am not a gem expert, only a boyfriend trying to pick out an engagement ring. Any help, and I mean any help is greatly appreciated.

I have somehow become fixated on a gemstone center stone for an engagement ring. And I do believe that she would love it (though, I will confirm). Anyway...

While investigating gemstones, I stumbled upon Paraiba Tourlamine. I fell in love with it first glance. I knew this is the gemstone I wanted. I have been in contact with paraibainternational.com and they have been very helpful. However, because paraiba rings are so rare, I was hoping to hear from some of you who have experience.

Questions:

1) Will Paraiba make a nice centerstone ring-with or without diamond accents. Because of the price, I was hoping that it could stand alone, with minimal need for adjuvant stones.

2) I know the Mohs scale is 7.5, but just how "careful" is being careful? The representative told me no dishwashing, showers, working out with the ring on. Is this true? Can she wear it daily, as long as she is careful, or will it be too much of a nuisance for daily wear.

3) Do you think it is possible to do a tension setting? Or would the halo setting be appropriate?

4) Obviously brilliance variable from stone to stone. However, is a top quality stone truly a brilliant as brilliant as a diamond or less so?

Sorry if these questions seem basic. However, I cannot find much in the way of Paraiba Tourlamines on line. Rare stone = Rarer Information.

Cheers,

Jason

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/9/2006 10:52:55 PM
Author:jzauls
1) Will Paraiba make a nice centerstone ring-with or without diamond accents. Because of the price, I was hoping that it could stand alone, with minimal need for adjuvant stones.
I think a small diamond accent would help the tourmaline color "pop".

2) I know the Mohs scale is 7.5, but just how 'careful' is being careful? The representative told me no dishwashing, showers, working out with the ring on. Is this true?
Yes.

Can she wear it daily, as long as she is careful, or will it be too much of a nuisance for daily wear.
She can wear it daily, as long as she is moderately careful. She doesn't have to walk on eggs, but just take it off before boxing, etc.

3) Do you think it is possible to do a tension setting? Or would the halo setting be appropriate?
Halo setting.

4) Obviously brilliance variable from stone to stone. However, is a top quality stone truly a brilliant as brilliant as a diamond or less so?
No, diamonds are more brilliant. They have a much higher refractive index (they bend light more). Tourmalines have decent brilliance if well cut, but are known more for their color rather than brilliance.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Im one who thinks diamonds are best left for cutting tools.
Here is a really pretty ring with a blue zircon, and only one stone, not little diamonds. I think a really nice gem stone can stand on it''s own with out the way over priced diamonds.
My wife has a tourmaline e-ring, and never takes it off.

BlueZirconRing1Small72.jpg

open culet

Rough_Rock
I love Paraibas. Perhaps my favorite colored stone (except for the fact that almost all are treated). They light up from across the room. I would not want to wear one every day. They are just too wonderful and expensive to expose to that much wear, in my opinion. They are also very difficult to find and there is not a great choice in shapes and sizes.

I know you are looking for an engagement stone, but if you see something very nice that would make a pendant, do not pass it up too quickly. You will never see the same stone again.

The most beautiful Paraiba I ever saw came from Pala.

Have fun hunting.

open culet

Rough_Rock
One more thought on Paraibas. I have been told that a fine Paraiba is about the same price per carat as an E, VVS diamond. That was 5 or so years ago, I do not know if this rule of thumb would still apply.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/9/2006 11:23:59 PM
Author: Richard Sherwood

Halo setting.

Or some sort of bezel... and it doesn't have to be the full-armour, 'bucket' type of setting. There are enough elegant examples out there to choose from. The one below seems rather inspired: a protective setting that doesn't make a point of it:
2.gif

2006spbridal1st.jpg

(LINK) 1.5cts Paraiba tourmaline.

I would take the one below as a reasoned 'safe setting' version:

r206-12W.jpg

What do you think?

Even if the ring will be a relatively simple, modernistic one - I would not save too much on the setting for the sake of safety. If the presence of diamonds has to be traded for top notch craftmanship, I would think an exceptional gem requires that. If the jeweler making it works on precious stones routinely, all for the better. This probably sounds odd, but some do not. And a fancy shaped bezel setting may be better served that way. It isn't tall order.

The 2c of a trully obsessed
3.gif
One thought... Paraiba tourmaline is still respectably beautiful and expensive even if the stone in cause is visibly included. Such stones may come with their own durability problems. I do not have hard facts about this & Paraiba tourmaline, but about emeralds it is fairly common knowldge that extensive imperfections do affect the durability of the stones. Even the type of imperfections is related (lots of 'feathers' or fractures, are what I'd expect for at least some higher quality emeralds and other, more common types of tourmaline).

1057.jpg

If anything, I would ask about this the jeweler making the ring.

Another thought: about brilliance - there is a tradeoff between color and brilliance. High RI sinks in color (because much light gets reflected on the surface before travelling though the gem and getting to contribute to the observed color - hence, colored diamonds have relatively light colors). Meaning, you do not loose anything by going with a 'less brilliant' type of gem. BTW, tourmaline is not dull at all. Few would complain about emeralds being non-brilliant - same here. ANd tourmaline is better than emerald in the brighteness department.

It probably is clear I am not an expert - only an overly enthusiastic hobbyst. It is fun to post, and would be glad to know these stories are useful or at least entertaining. More than a hint... should come from a profesional, IMO.
38.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Jason,

I would not wear a Paraiba ring everyday, I did. I worn it 24 hours a day in a bezel set ring and it chipped the corners of the facets. I did wear it during gardening etc. My wife wears hers only on special occassions and it is still beautiful. I would recommend wearing everyday in a pendent or earings. I have a pendent I wear 24 hours a day in showers etc and it is fine. Rings and I have a problem I bang my rings into everything from walls to doors and even my star sapphire got a chip on it.

Regards,
Maurice

jzauls

Rough_Rock
Well, I would like to thank all of you for your time, effort and honesty. You guys/gals are the best. The information was most helpful as I found new suppliers of these rings/stones. Just a quick vote. How many would think the Paraiba is tough enough for an engagement ring? And secondly, would you do Paraiba or Demantoid?

Decisions...decisions...

open culet

Rough_Rock
Hi Jzauls,

I love the way you think.

Demantoid is a big favoite of mine. I would vote against Paraiba or demantoid for an every day ring. BUT that said, if my engagement ring were either Paraiba or demantoid, I would want a killer wedding band that woud stand alone when I was not wearing the engagement ring. I would only wear the engagement ring when dressed for work or to go out. Messing around the house, I would take it off. I would also choose a mounting that would allow the stone to be removed to be polished, should that become necessary.

Pala also is a great source for demantoid.

coldfusion

Rough_Rock
I don''t think it''s durable enough for an engagement ring that''s worn everyday. If it were me, the only diamond alternatives i''d consider for a daily ring are ruby or sapphire.

That''s not to say it wouldn''t make a great ring.

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 4:38:43 PM
Author: coldfusion
I don''t think it''s durable enough for an engagement ring that''s worn everyday. If it were me, the only diamond alternatives i''d consider for a daily ring are ruby or sapphire.

That''s not to say it wouldn''t make a great ring.

I agree 100%.
Your fiancee will most likely want to wear her ring every day, and I think it would be less than ideal to have to be removing the ring (and finding a safe place to stash it) repeatedly. My e-ring is a blue sapphire, I wear it every single day (take it off to do heavy gardening), and it has held up wonderfully.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2006 2:05:53 PM
Author: jzauls

How many would think the Paraiba is tough enough for an engagement ring?

Second what MJO said: these ''softer'' stones make great choices, depending on what the wearer does with them.

It would be a shame to give up on color because such rings would not be appropriate to wear while digging the garden or working in a garage. C''mon.

Can you ask the ''end user'' if she would feel comfortable with a non 24/7 ring?

If this jewel needs to sit on the finger 24/7 come what may over it, either color (medium green or turquoise) could also be had in sapphire or... well, diamonds. But sapphire would never have the fire of demantoid, and I have yet to see a blue-green sapphire that comes anywhere close to the color of paraiba tourmaline. Those sapphire look more like a brilliant version of the finest aqua, rather than true turquoise blue.

Btw. MJO, ages ago you mentioned you had a blue-green sapphire like that. Any chance a fancy color sapphire could get into the running here?

LuvThatBling

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2006 9:16:43 AM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/10/2006 2:05:53 PM
Author: jzauls

How many would think the Paraiba is tough enough for an engagement ring?

Second what MJO said: these ''softer'' stones make great choices, depending on what the wearer does with them.

It would be a shame to give up on color because such rings would not be appropriate to wear while digging the garden or working in a garage. C''mon.

Can you ask the ''end user'' if she would feel comfortable with a non 24/7 ring?

If this jewel needs to sit on the finger 24/7 come what may over it, either color (medium green or turquoise) could also be had in sapphire or... well, diamonds. But sapphire would never have the fire of demantoid, and I have yet to see a blue-green sapphire that comes anywhere close to the color of paraiba tourmaline. Those sapphire look more like a brilliant version of the finest aqua, rather than true turquoise blue.

Btw. MJO, ages ago you mentioned you had a blue-green sapphire like that. Any chance a fancy color sapphire could get into the running here?
I agree with this advice. A lot of it depends on the wearer. Personally, even though I have diamonds & sapphires, I never garden, clean house, or do hard manual labor with my jewelry on. I also take my jewelry off before I shower. I do exercise with my jewelry sometimes, but I seriously doubt my workouts are laborious enough to damage my jewelry *grin*. I have a safe, known location on each floor of my house to stash my jewelry if I need to do something physical.

However, there are some women who do not every take their wedding band or engagement rings off, even if they are busting rocks. If your future fiance is one of those, I think you should go the sapphire or diamond route.

jzauls

Rough_Rock
You guys are a bucket of knowledge and help. Ok, I have been talked out of the Paraiba for multiple reasons. Though demantoid is still very high on my list. See the problem is the following...She does not know that I will be asking her! Not a clue (though I do know she would say yes). In general, she is a person who is into non-trad looks. I think she would LOVE a colored gemstone. However, the part about whether she would ever take off her ring, etc. is a mystery. I have tried to employ her sister and friends, but it is very hard to ask non-challantly, ''would you ever consider taking off your e-ring'' without her seeing str8 through that type of questioning. She is pretty bright.

She is indian, and has light brown skin. I thought the demantoid (and she loves green) would look awesome on her. I have considered sapphires, but sometimes, they get too inky (unless they are high quality burmese stones). The other option is pink sapphire, again, I think the color would wear very well with her. I will asking her to marry me while we vacation in the Maldives. Very exciting and romantic I think.

Any suggestions? Any thoughts on Pink Sapphires?

thanks to all,

jzauls

p.s. you guys are like my own personal engagement planners.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you find a seller who would eventually let you trade in the stone if for some reason it turns out a no-go? Whichever stone mentioned here (paraiba, demantoid, fine sapphire blue or pink) would be very much comparable with diamonds in value. So... it shouldn''t be so hard.

I would think that the ring would be cherished and treated according to its nature, whatever that may be.

If blue or any fancy color sapphire turns out appealing, I see no reason to go for an ''inky'' stone for the sort of budget talked about so far. And fine sapphire color doesnt just come from Burma - wherever it may come from.

Among pink stones, I like the deeper pinks on a tan and... even the palest pink would look deep on the jail-tan I''ve got now
7.gif

I wish there was something larger with color comparable to THIS online... but gems do not grow on the Net after all.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Ana,

That happens to be a wonderful stone. I sold it to cherrypicked a couple of years ago. I can''t beleive he still has it. It glows in low light.

What do you think of this Spinel from the Mehenge section of Tanzania?

Regards,
Maurice

mengespinel270.JPG

open culet

Rough_Rock
A pink sapphire sounds great. It would look fantastic with her complexion and would be hardy enough for every day wear. You can save the other colored stone ideas for future gifts.

Pink sapphires light up from across a room.

You will have a greater selection of pink sapphires than of paraibas or demantoids.

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Ana,

Sorry I missed this before. I never got that stone. It was sold before I got to see it.

Regards,
Maurice

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/13/2006 3:11:31 PM
Author: MJO

Nice... the picture shows a darker 'wine' color on my screen.

About Mahenge spinel in general, I liked some stones that looked a bit hazy, like some prized sapphire would. Never found out what makes them so. Even if clearly not all spinel from the source has that look and the hazy ones are not particularly prized, the look remained memorable to me because texture made color show allot better, IMO.

You have such incredible things on your hands MJO
9.gif

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 2/14/2006 3:47:45 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 2/13/2006 3:11:31 PM

Nice... the picture shows a darker ''wine'' color on my screen.

About Mahenge spinel in general, I liked some stones that looked a bit hazy, like some prized sapphire would. Never found out what makes them so. Even if clearly not all spinel from the source has that look and the hazy ones are not particularly prized, the look remained memorable to me because texture made color show allot better, IMO.

You have such incredible things on your hands MJO
9.gif
Thanks Ana,

I do have a Pamir spinel that is a little hazy as you say. It is a wonderful pink with a nice texture I couldn''t resist. It''s about 4 1/2 cts and I had it made into a simple ring in white gold. I finally got a new digital camera so I will take some pictures soon.

Regards,
Maurice

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello Ana,

Here is the Paraiba Pendent I wear everyday. Never had a problem except I need to take it off to clean it. I actually use an ultrasonic cleaner.

Regards,
Maurice

paraipen.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/15/2006 1:01:50 PM

I finally got a new digital camera so I will take some pictures soon.

With you, that camera is a dangerous weapon! Please shoot
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results