shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba ring value

JemsByJoyce

Rough_Rock
I recently acquired a quite large Mozambique "paraiba" tourmaline that came with an AGL cert and want to know how to find out it's value. In my experience most local appraisers really don't know enough about rare gemstones to properly determine their value. If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I'll post the ring
. paraiba tourmaline diamond large ring6.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL confirmed that it qualifies to be called Paraiba? Grats on the lovely ring!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s very beautiful. It’s not the highly prized neon pool blue color which commands the highest value, but it is a very large, clean, well cut and gorgeous minty color. How many carats?

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Lovely and BIG ring!

Does your AGL cert state the color & clarity grade of your stone? If not, did your appraiser match the color with his/her GemSet or Color/Scan under controlled light environment to find out?

I think that the industry insiders and appraisers have access to a price chart (periodically updated?) which determines the price/ct based on the identified color/tone/saturation, etc...?! It’s a bit more straightforward if the cert clarifies those things but I don’t think many vendors spend the extra $ for that level of report.

I agree that not everyone is specialized in CS but maybe that chart provides at least a basic $ range? It's unclear to me if that price chart reflects retail price or insurance value!?

JemsByJoyce

Rough_Rock
It’s very beautiful. It’s not the highly prized neon pool blue color which commands the highest value, but it is a very large, clean, well cut and gorgeous minty color. How many carats?
It's 8.40ct and I love the cut on it as well

JemsByJoyce

Rough_Rock
Lovely and BIG ring!

Does your AGL cert state the color & clarity grade of your stone? If not, did your appraiser match the color with his/her GemSet or Color/Scan under controlled light environment to find out?

I think that the industry insiders and appraisers have access to a price chart (periodically updated?) which determines the price/ct based on the identified color/tone/saturation, etc...?! It’s a bit more straightforward if the cert clarifies those things but I don’t think many vendors spend the extra $ for that level of report.

I agree that not everyone is specialized in CS but maybe that chart provides at least a basic $ range? It's unclear to me if that price chart reflects retail price or insurance value!?
I'm embarassed to say that I think she compared the color to what she saw on the internet. The AGL report did not have clarity and the color is listed as "green"

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
That's interesting...I also read that GIA quitted making the Gemset but uses a software called GemEwizard instead? Maybe she used GemEwizard to id the color? Did you ask her?

I find buying CS hard but exciting at the same time because vendors do not use color standard set by GIA/AGL to label their inventories...

Just curious if the AGL was done on it as a loose stone or mounted ring?

JemsByJoyce

Rough_Rock
That's interesting...I also read that GIA quitted making the Gemset but uses a software called GemEwizard instead? Maybe she used GemEwizard to id the color? Did you ask her?

I find buying CS hard but exciting at the same time because vendors do not use color standard set by GIA/AGL to label their inventories...

Just curious if the AGL was done on it as a loose stone or mounted ring?
the picture on the report was the stone loose.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Losse seems to be easier to id. If she told you what they are, maybe you could search online vendors for price comparison?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow what a honker of a stone!!!! :love: *faints*

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results