shape
carat
color
clarity

Paraiba - opinions on this stone

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just received this stone. I like the color, but it does have inclusions. I'd really appreciate some opinions before the return window closes. Thanks for looking.

20160820_131057.jpg
20160820_210900.jpg 20160820_134349.jpg
20160820_181254_1.jpg

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
The color is great and it looks super pretty in your photos! That being said, while I love the color, I personally could not live with a stone that has a lot of inclusions.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Um... THAT COLOR THO :love: :love: :love:

I don't give one flying f--- about inclusions if it's the right color, in contrast to Gingercurls. To each his own-!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your input gingercurls and distracts! I know that paraibas from Brazil can be prone to certain inclusions, but I haven't seen many in person. The ones I have seen were from Africa and were less included, but the color in this stone is much more intense.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol I agree with Distracts on this that in this case the color more than makes up for the inclusions (at least to my eye). I think it's an incredible color!! But definitely you have to love it :)

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:love: :love:

While it's clearly a personal preference, Paraibas are the one stone where I can overlook visible inclusions,etc when there is amazing color and glow like the one shown.

Do the inclusions reach the surface? I would just want the stone to be stable enough for setting and wearing with reasonable care.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sent back the most magnificent oval paraiba from Brazil because it had a window in it that drove me nuts, and I am still to this day kicking myself for it. This is one of the few stones where colour comes way above cut and clarity.... having said that only you know what you can and can't live with.

Venti25

Shiny_Rock
I would not be kicking that out the door but it also depends on if you think it is worth what you paid.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To my eyes the colour is beautifully vivid and the stone certainly has 'the glow'. But only you can decide whether the inclusions will bother you. I have 2 Paraiba's and the inclusions in both stones only add to the liveliness and beauty of the stones. Inclusions that would be bothersome in any other stone, are ok in Paraiba's as long as you can live with it.

What is said about the treatment? And is the pricing ok?

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Like others have said, inclusions that would be ok with them might not be ok with you. I think the color looks spectacular.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is the information on the treatment? That would be the dealbreaker if me, especially if it is highly included to begin with.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I scanned the qr code for more info, the page I got was overwritten and messy and said can not be determined. Generally I believe the treatment would be listed under treatment on the papers if there was any. The gem stones I've seen that have treatment list the treatment found followed by "scan qr code for more information ". It's annoying. I don't love GIA, I prefer AGS for diamonds and AGL for gems. But this had such glow.

I've louped the stone, to my eye the inclusions don't seem to pose a problem as far as integrity of the stone goes. I paid a fair price for it, and it seems to be a better color than many stones at the same price/size.

ETA I've just spoken to the seller and apparently "color origin not determined" means no treatment other than low heat which is standard for tourmaline. Low heat is hard to detect, so in the absence of seeing melting or fractures this is what is stated.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think it's beautiful!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the consensus seems to be keep it if I can deal with the inclusions, which I can. Thank you to everyone who replied, I feel better now. A photo in the sun:

20160821_123011.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your new purchase! Your stone looks amazing indeed.
Will you set it in a ring? Any ideas for a setting?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Acinom, I want to make a ring. I was thinking of the Adrianna setting by Leon Mege. The setting is for a cushion but it's a chubby oval. What do you think?

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arkieb1, I had the same experience with a padparadscha sapphire. Gorgeous, gorgeous color. But I just couldn't deal with the window. This tourmaline has pretty even saturation throughout. I find that ovals seem to be prone to windowing, but maybe that's just my experience.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doberman|1471802860|4068372 said:
Hi Acinom, I want to make a ring. I was thinking of the Adrianna setting by Leon Mege. The setting is for a cushion but it's a chubby oval. What do you think?

This is the Adrianna halo setting right? I think it will look stunning. Very sophisticated and chique.
Please keep us informed on what you decide.

_5398.jpeg

_5399.jpeg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The colour pops at me, thanks for sharing.

DK :love:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, that's the setting. I'm a halo fan. This is my first custom piece, so I'm a little nervous. Ok, I'm a lot nervous. Thank you everyone for your comments!

S

SparkliesLuver

I'm sorry I missed this (I've been taking a bit of a break from PS)! I would have chimed in as my paraiba is included but it has the color and glow I was after...and a price tag I could afford.

I'm excited you decided to keep it, and I can't wait to see it come to life. :clap:

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparklesluver, I'm going to assume that's your paraiba in the avatar. Just beautiful!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1471884091|4068647 said:
doberman said:
Sparklesluver, I'm going to assume that's your paraiba in the avatar. Just beautiful!

It is. :) Thank you very much! Here's my thread so you can see how included mine is, for perspective: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/creating-my-dream-paraiba-ring.214323/....']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/creating-my-dream-paraiba-ring.214323/......[/URL].

It's a beauty, I don't think the inclusions take anything away from the stone. I love the paraiba halo and the diamonds look pink when they're set in the rose gold. Or are they pink diamonds? I was toying with the idea of a pink diamond halo but I'm not sure I want to pay the price, which is bound to be astronomical. I'm waiting for a call back from LM.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those rings are amazing, thank you! I adore a halo for gemstones, but now my mind is opening to the idea of color in the halo. I just really wanted the knowledgeable folks here to assure me that I wasn't making a mistake with the stone. I've learned a lot prowling around this forum.

S

SparkliesLuver

Sure! People have done some amazing things. Glad you found your stone! Now let the fun design process start. ;-) Yeah, it's a great forum.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
It's a keeper I can definitely see the glow in the photos. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doberman|1471795234|4068354 said:
When I scanned the qr code for more info, the page I got was overwritten and messy and said can not be determined. Generally I believe the treatment would be listed under treatment on the papers if there was any. The gem stones I've seen that have treatment list the treatment found followed by "scan qr code for more information ". It's annoying. I don't love GIA, I prefer AGS for diamonds and AGL for gems. But this had such glow.

I've louped the stone, to my eye the inclusions don't seem to pose a problem as far as integrity of the stone goes. I paid a fair price for it, and it seems to be a better color than many stones at the same price/size.

ETA I've just spoken to the seller and apparently "color origin not determined" means no treatment other than low heat which is standard for tourmaline. Low heat is hard to detect, so in the absence of seeing melting or fractures this is what is stated.

I was only concerned whether it has been oiled or fracture filled. Given that it isn't, I feel better about it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
doberman - it is certainly an eye-popping color and that, first and foremost, is what you are after with Paraibas. I love your hand shots and think you've made the right choice given that its the real deal!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results