shape
carat
color
clarity

Painting veneer "junk" furniture?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am considering painting/spray painting a crappy bookshelf a nice color. It looks like crappy fake wood, and I would like to make it look a little less cheap...

anyone do this? any recommendations? I was going to get an oil based or spray primer first. I have read both to sand and not to sand.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take out one of the shelves and paint the bottom of it first as a test? (And don't paint to the front edge obviously.)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
might require sanding to get the paint to stick....take a shelf to a hardware store and ask there. they should know.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
My first thought was to sand it so I'm curious as to the reason why it shouldn't or doesn't need to be done.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mogster|1346178206|3258652 said:
My first thought was to sand it so I'm curious as to the reason why it shouldn't or doesn't need to be done.

Depending on how thin the veneer is, you have to be very careful or else you could sand right through it.

I saw something called "liquid sandpaper" on a DIY show one time. You spray it on an it provides a slightly roughed up surface, so maybe that would work too?

ETA: "Liquid sandpaper is a chemical solution that removes the glossy layer from a painted item, enabling you to paint over the object without the paint dripping off. Unlike regular sandpaper, it just removes gloss; it can’t be used to smooth the surface, correct imperfections or as a paint primer. Liquid sandpaper is also referred to as deglosser and wet sanding."

OK... maybe not then...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think the shelves come out of any of them but I have a random one floating around from a since demolished shelf unit that is almost the same material, if not the same material that I might test on.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't usually sand, but if you do literally do it for just a few seconds to rough the surface up. Oil based primer is essential, then whatever paint you want, in LIGHT coats, then sealer.

There are tons of tutorials online if you want to read them.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just found a few. I think Ill give it a whirl when I get everything sorted.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've done something similar before - I lightly sanded. Turned out great.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
Sanding, cleaning with a tack cloth, zinsser primer (but not the spray primer, it clumps) and spray paint (best finish on furniture).

http://www.centsationalgirl.com/2010/04/go-right-ahead-and-paint-that-laminate/

I've painted a ton of furniture and always had good results - but did have a bad experience with laminate due to the spray primer. A good prep is the best way to get a great finish! :) I love Rustoleum American Accents paint.

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
One day my DH brought home this hideous corner hutch. It smelled bad, was cheap and thin, the fake glass was brown and gross, but it was old, had decent hardware so I kept it for extra storage in the kitchen.

I should have taken before and after pictures...

I knew that it was so thin and cheap that I went to the hardware store with the "glass" panels to get recut. Then I got antique white spray paint for outdoor furniture because I knew it would stick to anything. I took off the beautiful hardware and got to painting.

I get compliments on it all the time. Its very cozy and adorable and no one can tell how fugly it once was.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
I had my dad paint my kitchen cabinets to look like old jeans. We did very little sanding.
1. Clean with denatured alcohol.
2. Prime with Zinsser BIN.
3. Two coats of paint.
4. One coat of white wash.
5. Two coats of varnish.

I did a LOT of reading on the web and came to the conclusion that if you prepare your surface right and use the right primer and paint, you can paint anything. People even paint old metal kitchen cupboards.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The kitchen cabinets are on my long list of things to paint around here. I definitely want to paint them white bec I think they'll look nicer. BUT I'd really rather just rip them out and redo the whole damn room.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have that thread bookmarked. We don't have an IKEA in this city, it's a 6hour drive to the nearest one, and DH has already kaiboshed the purchase of anything from Ikea, ever. He thinks it's cheap garbage so it's not a consideration I am allowed. Grr.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1346237153|3259036 said:
I have that thread bookmarked. We don't have an IKEA in this city, it's a 6hour drive to the nearest one, and DH has already kaiboshed the purchase of anything from Ikea, ever. He thinks it's cheap garbage so it's not a consideration I am allowed. Grr.

Show him that link - it'll educate him. If top designers use it, it's good enough for him. :) The Blum hardware on it is super high end. I love ours to pieces! Those slow close drawers, the 6 foot tall pull out pantry, it's awesome! It's also installed european style - on a rail on the wall, which allows you to easily install on uneven ground surfaces. IKEA cabinets are on a completely different level than their cheap particleboard shelves that they're known for.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
The kitchen is way down the line but Ill push on that. The issue really now is, there's not an IKEA anywhere near us. So it would have to be shipped.

webdiva

Brilliant_Rock
ame|1346257507|3259194 said:
The kitchen is way down the line but Ill push on that. The issue really now is, there's not an IKEA anywhere near us. So it would have to be shipped.

It may be worth a trip via car - when you order, they give what's in stock right away and then ship the rest. It's very helpful to have ikea staff look over your list to ensure you got all the items.

In the meantime, just painting the kitchen may tide you over! :) We wanted to in order to save money but the previous owner had inexplicably cut the lower cabinets in half. One of the many crazy things done to our house... ;-)

Centsational Girl painted the kitchen in her guest house - it looks gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results