shape
carat
color
clarity

Paging **Dixie***

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
If you''d like to see what freshroses.com''s product looks like on days 1, 2, 3, and beyond, go to wedding channel boards, go to "flowers" and click on the thread titled "ALL roses I photographed from Freshroses.com". It is 27 pages long but after the first 5 it gets less interesting. But the first few pages show glorious pics of many kinds of roses as they open up. The person who started the thread was very thoughrough and took great pics and labeled flower names well.

I thought of you in your search for the perfect rose and this thread really may seal the deal for you! Let me know what you think :)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks So happy! I will definitely check this out.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I read it for about a 1/2 hour last night; it was addicting. It was especially helpful to see just how open some of these varieties will get by day 3. For you and I, this really is key info. Plus, she has pics where she compares and contrasts the white varieties, the purple ones etc.

BTW: I asked a florist today if she had cabbage roses so she''s going to order me some so that I can maybe use her to do my bouquet (!) I have yet to see one in person (or online). I am just so excited and hopeful that it will look very similar to the peony :) I''ll let you know (or maybe take some pics if I can!!) how it goes 10 days from now :)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I just read the entire 27 pages.. just couldn''t stop myself! You''re right, it is addicting. A lot of the pics that people posted, I couldn''t view but did see all the pics from that 1st poster. Those pics were amazing! I think that purple in there was very pretty and would fit your color scheme. I liked the Cara Mia a lot!! It is beautiful but someone said that fresh roses stopped carrying it. I''ll have to check. I may end up ordering a test bunch from somewhere but was really hoping not to. It''s just hard to make a decision not having seen the flower in person. But I want to order just a few varieties from different sites.
It''s a great site though! Thanks so much for posting it!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
No problem! I really thought the Sterling (purple/lilac) was really pretty. And the Bianca and Champagne....just beautiful.

Here''s another idea: At Joanns (again) last night, I gathered several larger type (silk/fabric) roses (not peonies which are huge but just larger open roses) together into a bouquet the size of which I felt I''d carry. It seems if the rose is in full bloom, I''d only need 9!! I thought this would be something you may be interested in doing as well to get an idea of how many to order.

It''s funny living my life right now; I am at the very same time operating as if I will be both DIYing AND hiring a florist to do my bouquet and bouts so that I can have both options open while still gathering information. I can''t wait until I have to do something that makes that decision final!
9.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
That is a good idea. I was amazed at how big and beautiful the roses on the site were. You definitely don''t need as many as other sites say if they''re in full bloom. I certainly like the look of them in full bloom so I guess I''ll order earlier than I thought to give them a chance to open. I initially figured I''d order them for the day that I wanted to make the centerpieces, likely Friday for the Sunday wedding. Now, I guess I''ll order for Wed. so they have time to open up. I will definitely do some tests though b/c I want to be sure that keeping them in the frig stops them from opening any further.
How long did yours take to open when you did the rose bouquet?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I bought a cheap dozen from a supermarket ($7) and to be honest, they looked like they were on thier way out already and weren''t nearly as open as I like. Perhaps those particular roses 1)don''t open up as much as others might and/or 2)were kept in coolers/cool water the entire time so that they simply ended up dying still relatively closed.

I too wouldn''t mind playing around with the warm water technique just to see if I could exact that kind of control. Sounds like it would be fun to be able to do that in non-wedding times too :) Say.....the cheaper roses are the tight, closed kind.......now I could buy those, save some money and know that I can just open them up myself at home
2.gif

If you''d like some fresh roses in you home anyway (and therefore wouldn''t be so quick to consider the purchase towards your actual wedding budget
31.gif
), I recommend using cheapo roses from anywhere for your very first trial. I''m embarrassed to post my bouquet trial because it looks pretty crappy and I wouldn''t want to do that to really good roses that one would be more likely to buy from, say, freshroses.com etc. Pretty much, I''m recommending a pre-trial w/the cheapest you can find and then a proper trial w/the good ones :) Does that make any sense? In fact, I may do another pre-trial with another bunch of crappies (lol) before allowing myself to abuse the pretty ones
9.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you''d like to see what a cabbage rose looks like! The florist who''ll be doing my bouquet and the bouts ordered a few so I can see them in person. Although she ordered pink-white ones, I think they are beautiful!!! I prefer all-white but I have to inquire about that tomorrow when they re-open as I forgot to ask when I was there
20.gif

Okay, so here a a couple pics of it. They came in yesterday so this is day #2! (nice and full already!). If my cats don''t attack it too much tonight, and it opens much more, I''ll try to get more pics tomorrow if you''re interested.

I''m definitely loving this particular rose!!!

DSC02828 (Small).JPG

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
another

DSC02844 (Small).JPG

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
and another showing the relative size to a normal sized rose and my hand/arm.

I can easily see only 9 of these beauties would do :)

DSC02847 (Small).JPG

labbielove

Brilliant_Rock
So happy,
those are beautiful!
do you happen to know if the cabbage roses come in deep red or burgundy color?

i was pretty set on having a bouquet of all black magic roses,but i love the look of the cabbage rose (fyi, i am huge peony fan myself, but a september wedding....)

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, those are beautiful and soooo big! So, did I read correctly "the florist who will be doing my bouquet"? You decided to go w/a florist and w/roses? That''s exciting! I''m glad you found something you like.
I''ve still been a slacker on the subject of flowers.
Have you figured out what flowers for the centerpiece yet?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 8:52:15 AM
Author: labbielove
So happy,
those are beautiful!

i was pretty set on having a bouquet of all black magic roses,but i love the look of the cabbage rose (fyi, i am huge peony fan myself, but a september wedding....)
I am definitely going to find out aobut the colors available because I too really love this variety :) I will come back to this thread and let you know when I find out. I''m looking for white
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 10:19:43 AM
Author: dixie94
Oooh, those are beautiful and soooo big! So, did I read correctly ''the florist who will be doing my bouquet''? You decided to go w/a florist and w/roses? That''s exciting! I''m glad you found something you like.
I''ve still been a slacker on the subject of flowers.
Have you figured out what flowers for the centerpiece yet?
Haha. Hey, you know me by now in that I flip flop all the time
9.gif
31.gif
on this wedding stuff. It frustrates me sometimes but its all about me trying to balance convienience with cost. So, at this moment in time, FI and I want my bouquet and his bout done by the florist and that should come to about $110 if I do go with these roses (with some orchids...his bout will be orchid). I''m still sticking with the overal design of that orchid centerpiece I fell for a couple weeks ago but I''m using a different flower to save money
7.gif
Altros dont'' need wired and they are pretty in numbers and come in the colors I want. For $7 a bunch, and thier ease and known longevity, I''m going with them for sure. I''ll have to satisfy my love for orchids in my own home centerpieces or something
9.gif

Here''s my most newly conceived floral cost list:
Bride: Roses and a few orchids. $100
Groom: Orchid (hopefully double but we''ll see). $20
BMS: Sage silk fans with silver ribbon. Bought ribbon at Xmas Tree shop for $2, Fans were $4 each. Total $22
GMS: Coordinating pocket squares. Approx $4 each. Total $20
Centerpieces 6 Medium tables: Plopping a bunch of alstromeria ($7/bunch) in 6 small cube vases ($1.50 each). Total $50
Centerpieces 10 cocktail tables: Four stems of alstromeria in 2 rectangular bud vases per table. Total $40
Female family corsages: 9 mini-bouquets consisting of 5 lavendar roses tied with silver ribbon. Total for 50 roses: $50
Male family corsages: Probably roses. 5 of these and probably being done by florist unless I practice alot first. Total: $50
Bathroom displays: Buying 2 bouquets mixed flowers frm Stop Shop morning of and putting them in a couple of large decorated mayo jars we''ve collected: $20
Gift table display: 2 bunches of white snapdragons in tall vase we already have at home: $16

GRAND TOTAL: $388. We are picking up everything ourselves from this florist so we don''t have to pay delivery. I may still go through an online place to save on taxes if that becomes a barrier but all in all we''re happy with the cost right now. We were aiming for $300 but for $84 more we have some what of a "guarantee" that at least my bouquet and his bout will look fantastic :) The other DIY stuff (everything else) is truly foolproof, though. I mean, with the alstromeria, I''m literally putting them in water in my vases. I will cut them nice and short so the blossoms spill out the top like in my desired orchid centerpiece and I will probably glue a sheer ribbon around the vase (as in my hydrangea mock up) for a little style.

Our house is in need of some fresh flowers today, so I''m going to go to the supermarket today and pick up some alstros and do another mockup....this time in the actual vases that will be my centerpieces :)

Where are you right now in flower world? Are you going definitley with roses and all DIY?

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/20/2007 8:52:15 AM
Author: labbielove
So happy,
those are beautiful!

Oh, and I wanted to echo your peony comment........never fails but everytime I see a peony bouquet after all this time I sigh and think to myself that I''ll have to have some sort of peony fix next month when they''re out and prolific :) I wonder if having a bouquet for my engagement pics (in May) would be odd lol.
Anyhow, here''s a pic I found of a bouquet that used all cabbage roses. I think they still give a nice full effect.....and better for me than the tight rose look. Pretty good subsitute (not perfect, but I bet they could''ve designed this one a little better anyhow to make it even more peony-like........like adding hydrangea or something)!!

ivory cabbage roses (Medium).jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for all the posts all of a sudden!!!

Dixie: Here a picture of the alstros all toghther in a vase. I love thier green foliage...it''s very crisp and brings in my green naturally. Picture this, though, in a cube vase and the vase is decorated a bit....

white pinks alstros.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
and, I don''t know if you''re still doing purple and sage but I found this bouquet on FTD or somethign and I think it looks very pretty. That''s roses, alstros, salal and limonium. I really love this bouquet and personally would break up the purple a bit with some teeny bit of pink maybe but I am trying to force myself to forget it as it would cost a bit more to do these than what I already have (fans w ribbon).

BM purple roses alstro and greens.jpg

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know why, in my previous posts, my pics were there once before but not anymore. I''ll check on that........

In the meantime, here is my quick mockup of alstros in a cube vase. This is 5 stems in a 3.5 x 3.5 cube vase and I colored the water purple for lack of wanting to do something fancier for now.

I also want to say that my particular stop and shop does not have the nicest quality alstros and they look sort of tattered. But for $4, I bought them anyway. I just needed to get a good idea.

DSC02849 (Small).JPG

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
and me holding these 5 stems to give an idea of size. Looks to me like they could do for BM bouquets in a pinch!!!

DSC02869 (Small).JPG

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I think the pic of the purple/white alstro''s is SO pretty! That would be great for your color scheme. You could definitely do those for the BM''s but I thought you were doing fans for them??
The rose/orchid bouquets sound really pretty!
I have no actual status to report, although I did go buy some sample ribbon and flower tape today.. now all I need are some sample flowers to make a bouquet! I tend to go in spurts w/all this planning. But yes, still planning DIY and still planning dark pink roses.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, fans are a good option but it is tempting to have these alstro bouquets in that they would run me $5 each and they come in an all-lavendar color as well as pink and a mauvey color too.....so I could add a few different colors in there if I felt like it!!! They have no thorns to strip, stems that are easy to snip off, come with built-in gorgeous green greenery, and they look better than when I first bought them after 2 days still so I feel good about thier lasting power.

Yay! You got some supplies :) I am very excited to see any mockups!!!!!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
You''re right, you can''t beat $5 a bouquet! All the colors really are very pretty, and I think a mixed bunch would look just as pretty as the purple.
Have you found inexpensive ribbon? I went to Michael''s and Hancock Fabrics (don''t know if that''s a natl shop or not) and the selection was pretty poor. I found nothing that I like so I just bought some cheap, green ribbon so that I could try it out. And they only had white or brown floral tape..kinda annoying! I''m hoping to stop by Joann''s Tuesday.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/23/2007 9:51:01 AM
Author: dixie94
You''re right, you can''t beat $5 a bouquet! All the colors really are very pretty, and I think a mixed bunch would look just as pretty as the purple.
Have you found inexpensive ribbon? I went to Michael''s and Hancock Fabrics (don''t know if that''s a natl shop or not) and the selection was pretty poor. I found nothing that I like so I just bought some cheap, green ribbon so that I could try it out. And they only had white or brown floral tape..kinda annoying! I''m hoping to stop by Joann''s Tuesday.
Joann''s should be your best bet. My Jo''s has 3 looooong aisles of ribbon. Beautiful selection. And you could always turn to the internet.......although personally I need to see the ribbon up front for a proper color match AND I hate paying for return shipping
29.gif
if I needed to return the product.

Don''t forget that, at least for Joann''s, you can wait till you have a coupon and then buy whatever you need. 40% off makes that ribbon pretty affordable :) The coupons come out all the time.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Good point about waiting for the coupon. Sometimes I''m bad about that. I haven''t gotten the first web mailing so I will definitely wait until I get that. But I might stop in tomorrow night just for a look around. I''m hoping to buy some flowers to test this weekend.
Yeah, I''m actually really bad about returning stuff so I rarely order online. I do hope my Joann''s has a good selection so I can avoid that.

We''ll see....

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I went to Joann''s last night! Yay! You''re right, their ribbon selection is much better. I was tempted to buy something but am waiting for a coupon and need to get a few other things to that the color can match.
What I did buy was 2 sets of floating candles, 15 each, for $6 total.
36.gif
They were 40% off! I am thrilled about that. I probably won''t even need the 2nd set but bought it just in case. I was going to buy them online and the cheapest I could find was $13 for 14 candles + tax/shipping. This is way better.
So part of my centerpiece has now been bought! I also sent a ton of emails to other flower vendors to see if I could find certain varieties of roses, but I think most of those places don''t sell to the public. I found them all on this flower site that has pics of tons of roses: www.sierraflowerfinder.com. I think I listed it in our DIY thread.
Anyway, guess I''ll try and get some actual work done now...

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, GREAT!!! Joann''s is the best place on earth lol!!!

I am so happy you found parts of your centerpiece, too :) That is really fantastic. It feels good to get closer to the end point lol.

I''ve used many of those sites we posted in our DIY thread....it sort of acts like an archive for me so I always know where to go to find those links lol.......and sierra was one I was on for many hours!!! Too bad it seems most local places don''t know thier varieities as well as I''d like!!!
38.gif
38.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results