shape
carat
color
clarity

Padparadscha spinel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I figured I'd start a new thread on this since I really think this stone was a great find, and for people that are into the padparadscha color, I thought it would be nice to show spinels as an alternative. It's from Odysseygem, and here is the AIGS cert. I figured I had to certify it because there are many be-heated and synthetic padparadscha colored stones. The stone has a window, but I overlooked that since Tan told me this is a rare colored spinel. It sparkles like mad despite the window. It's very clean. There's no inclusions in this stone, so this also gave me peace of mind. For $25, it's a small price to pay for peace of mind.

TLaigspadspinel.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a photo of it on a cloudy day in my den with natural light coming in. I corrected for white balance which I just figured out how to do on my camrea (duh!!).

TLpadspinel3.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a screen still from Tan's video of the stone. I like these better than his still vendor shots. This gives a nice and accurate representation of the stone color.

TLpadspinelvendor.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The stone has pink UV fluor as shown by this shot in direct sunlight. I also tested it with a UV light, and it glows pink.

TLpadspinelfluor.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indirect sunlight on my hand.

TLpadspinel2.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So many padparadscha colored spinels I see have so much brown, so that''s something to beware of when looking for these stones. Like their sapphire counterparts, you want a nice pink/orange color with very little brown.

Another fluor picture in the sun. There''s some orange sparks there. Thanks for looking.

TLpinkfluorpad.JPG

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
That is sweet..love that color, TL..i for one like the term padparadscha being used for other gemstones..it describes a color and not a stone type to me..well done!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Now that is a lovely pad-spinel! I love how the pad color intensifies in the point and shows a huge range of hues and densities as it moves through the stone. Now this is the second time today that someone has mentioned they got their stone from Tan. Is this some special secret supplier or would you mind clueing in a newish PS-er like myself?

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Oh never mind, I see that once again I have not read the original posting closely and instead just gawked at the pretty pictures!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
it''s a beautiful candy-like colour - delicious!

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
very very nice
does he offer AIGS cert for all his gemstones (with the customer paying for it of course) ?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Very nice!

virgoruby

Shiny_Rock
Very pretty!
and thanks for showing your AIGS cert.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, it looks very padparadscha like in several of your pictures!

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
It is B.E.A. utifullll!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty TL!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 11:43:42 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
very very nice
does he offer AIGS cert for all his gemstones (with the customer paying for it of course) ?
Thanks to everyone for their kind remarks.

Haagen,
Tan does five types of certificates, GIA, GRS, AIGS, GIT, Burapha. It varies with cost depending on the lab. For all the stones I ordered, I did AIGS fast track memo because it's relatively inexpensive ($25), it has a photo of the stone, a hologram (not easily forged) and will show the treatment if you request it, and it's authenticity can be verified on their website. I have never been told by Tan, "no you cannot get a cert," with any stone I ordered, but ask him to be sure. He's very fluent in English.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I really love your spinel TL!
30.gif
MMMM...pink and orange.
36.gif

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2010 8:52:28 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 3/17/2010 11:43:42 PM
Author: haagen_dazs
very very nice
Thanks to everyone for their kind remarks.

Haagen,
Tan does five types of certificates, GIA, GRS, AIGS, GIT, Burapha. It varies with cost depending on the lab. For all the stones I ordered, I did AIGS fast track memo because it''s relatively inexpensive ($25), it has a photo of the stone, a hologram (not easily forged) and will show the treatment if you request it, and it''s authenticity can be verified on their website. I have never been told by Tan, ''no you cannot get a cert,'' with any stone I ordered, but ask him to be sure. He''s very fluent in English.
I do not know him, but there are many nice stones in his store. However, I have noticed that some of AGIS certs. shown there do not have a photograph of the stone. It seemed unusual to me...I guess I can always ask.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2010 10:16:40 PM
Author: VapidLapid
Now that is a lovely pad-spinel! I love how the pad color intensifies in the point and shows a huge range of hues and densities as it moves through the stone. Now this is the second time today that someone has mentioned they got their stone from Tan. Is this some special secret supplier or would you mind clueing in a newish PS-er like myself?
Odysseygem or gemburionline on ebay.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2010 11:14:08 AM
Author: crasru
I do not know him, but there are many nice stones in his store. However, I have noticed that some of AGIS certs. shown there do not have a photograph of the stone. It seemed unusual to me...I guess I can always ask.
Crasru,
Is it because part of the picture has been cropped off or perhaps it is an older brief? Do you have a link to such a stone w/memo?

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi TL,

You have quite a find there. How exciting for you. Its a lovely color.

Thanks,
Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again to everyone for their kind words. I am so thrilled that people like it, and I'm thrilled with this purchase.

Date: 3/19/2010 11:14:08 AM

Crasru,
Are you sure it wasn't a GIT memo? They're also small rectangular memos, but no photo.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I shall check...yours, however, is beautifil. The main reason I am "sniffing" is because his prices are so good! I do not know whether it is because he has a good supply or because many of them are a native cut, or both. But if you think that a window is acceptable, I should go the same way, too. It is very hard for me to read these images done for flash player, though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/19/2010 5:36:58 PM
I shall check...yours, however, is beautifil. The main reason I am 'sniffing' is because his prices are so good! I do not know whether it is because he has a good supply or because many of them are a native cut, or both. But if you think that a window is acceptable, I should go the same way, too. It is very hard for me to read these images done for flash player, though.
Thank you Crasru. For some people, a window is unacceptable no matter what the stone is. My own personal gem stone collecting philosophy is that a window, or less than perfect cutting, is absolutely fine if the color is rare and/or very beautiful to me. His prices are good because I would imagine he buys his stones in bulk (as many Thai based sellers do), more direct to the source, and he has his own cutting center. The reason I showed the certificate in the first post was to indicate that I did my homework with this stone, and that Tan is an honest seller who stands behind his merchandise. I am currently having a blue sapphire and Mahenge spinel going through certification from him. Tan understands it is very important to me that the sapphire come back with a AIGS certificate that states the code HT (traditional heat) only. He also understands about the particular color I was looking for in the Mahenge. He has answered multitudes of my questions, and has been very communicative. As always, ask him questions about color, saturation, hue, tone to make sure you get the stone that's right for you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results