shape
carat
color
clarity

Pad Sapphire Help!

w11

Rough_Rock
Hello, I am looking to purchase a pad sapphire for an engagement ring. I need help deciding on a stone as I am new to pad sapphires. Any and all comments or suggestions are welcomed! Below are pictures and prices for the stones I am considering.

Pad 1pic.jpg
2.02 carats Price $3500.00

Pad 2 pic.jpg
2.09 carats Price $6400.00

Video of both side by side:

The 2.09 is left and 2.02 on the right

Thanks for the help!!

w11

Rough_Rock
Any suggestions on where to purchase a nice 2-2.5 carat pad sapphire?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This vendor is good about providing you pictures on the back of a hand in multiple lighting environments, if asked.
I suggest you do.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
Any suggestions on where to purchase a nice 2-2.5 carat pad sapphire?

I got my pad from Gary at Finewater Gems. Not sure what his inventory is like with Covid impacts though.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I woudln't choose either of those becuase of the giant windows. a pad that large is going to be extremely expensive if well cut. What is your budget?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love these 2 (again, no idea what your budget is, so I apologize if these don't fit). Or maybe you are much wealthier than I am, and these don't seem extremely expensive to you haha :)

Both certified as Pad sapphires and have excellent videos that show what they will perform like IRL.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skin tone matters more for pads than for a lot of other stones -- especially those washed-out-looking ones (stones, not skin tones!). Make sure you know what it looks like on your (or her) hand -- I can't tell if you are the giver or the recipient =)2

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Skin tone matters more for pads than for a lot of other stones -- especially those washed-out-looking ones (stones, not skin tones!). Make sure you know what it looks like on your (or her) hand -- I can't tell if you are the giver or the recipient =)2

Agreed, I would even venture to say that on a lot of skintones they will look best in a bezel or halo so they don't "disappear".

w11

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the suggestions so far! I like all the suggestions just hard set on 2-3 carats and eye-clean. Budget under 8k. Let me know if you guys find anything I would be interested in. Thanks so much!!

w11

Rough_Rock
Love these 2 (again, no idea what your budget is, so I apologize if these don't fit). Or maybe you are much wealthier than I am, and these don't seem extremely expensive to you haha :)

Both certified as Pad sapphires and have excellent videos that show what they will perform like IRL.

I like the color of these stones but I am really looking for something that is eye-clean.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You want eye clean, 2-3 cts,, heat doesn't matter, correct? I've seen several in beautiful colors, but not eye clean. There is a vendor on Instagram you could look at, House of Padparadscha that has some nice stones. They have a website too. I've never purchased from them, but it's worth a try:

Pads

Edited because I can't type.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the color of these stones but I am really looking for something that is eye-clean.

The 1.96 will be eye clean (it says VS/VVS clarity). The image you see on the website is hugely zooomed in.

The 2ct one might be eye clean in-hand, but not sure.

w11

Rough_Rock
I like the 1.96, with the darker color tones does the rice tend to go up?

w11

Rough_Rock
Price*

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you really want eye clean or are you talking about internally flawless? As lovedogs said, you won't see the inclusions on these VVS stones. When I said the stones are included, they are very visible and your eye can clearly see the inclusions. The one on the right is visible, vs the VVS on the left.

sapphire-pink-13-532-2.jpg Screen Shot 2020-08-14 at 5.19.56 PM.png

w11

Rough_Rock
I prefer internally flawless given the choice. I may be asking for too much haha. New to sapphires so I am not sure what

w11

Rough_Rock
Thoughts on this stone even though it is not a pad. Thanks!!

1597506454835.png

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a pink sapphire via GIA report, but vendor is calling it a peach sapphire?

if so - I think it’s pink and vendor thinks it shifts to peachy pink in certain lighting. But doesn’t qualify for Padparadscha name.

mastercut Gems has one that the report put brown on. I’d love to see it in person to evaluate if it were ‘close enough’ to a pad lookalike for my eyes.

Last edited:

w11

Rough_Rock
Is it a pink sapphire via GIA report, but vendor is calling it a peach sapphire?

if so - I think it’s pink and vendor thinks it shifts to peachy pink in certain lighting. But doesn’t qualify for Padparadscha name.

mastercut Gems has one that the report put brown on. I’d love to see it in person to evaluate if it were ‘close enough’ to a pad lookalike for my eyes.

Yes I believe they are calling it a peach sapphire. As far as the stone cut is there a window in your opinion?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know if it’s a tilt/window or it looks like that just due to the photograph

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts on this stone even though it is not a pad. Thanks!!

Excessively wonky cut, imo.

And factoring in the "appearance-inflation factor" for a vendor that would sell a stone like this, I think it will be disappointing in person.

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I think most everyone prefers internally flawless, but it's going to severely limit what sapphires you can see :razz: especially in rare colors like pad.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think most everyone prefers internally flawless, but it's going to severely limit what sapphires you can see :razz: especially in rare colors like pad.

Definitely not my preference - I would prefer an eye clean stone with inclusions. I like louping them and seeing an interesting world which I otherwise would not know existed!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Like @minousbijoux I prefer eye-clean with inclusions. I'd be paranoid about paying top dollar for a lab stone if it actually was internally flawless!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results