shape
carat
color
clarity

overly cautious jeweler?

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
This is what i mean when I said I don't trust my words lol. When I said it tapers 360 around, I mean similar to the way a pencil tapers at the point. As opposed to a (I don't know what, can't think of a good example). But if you have a shank that's 2mm in width, towards the stone it becomes 1mm, the way he has it designed, it is 1mm across no matter the angle at wish which you measure, whereas I was envisioning it to remain 2mm across if you measure height wise but 1mm across width. Does that make sense?

But I see (kinda) what you're saying about ring size affecting the angles, I'm a size 6, so idk if that would have a large impact or not

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
Her diamond is also significantly bigger than mine tho, so in theory, the whole ring could just be shrunk down, keeping the proportions pretty much intact

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
Is there a name for the style of cathedral seen in the second photo? I'd love to do a search for more settings like it, but I don't know what to look for term wise...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
cherryiice|1431313426|3874984 said:
Is there a name for the style of cathedral seen in the second photo? I'd love to do a search for more settings like it, but I don't know what to look for term wise...
I just now tried searching Google Images using engagement ring contemporary cathedral but that didn't pan out, so I too am stumped. Perhaps one of the PSers who's more familiar with a variety of settings from different vendors can offer something more helpful.

without seeing his CADs or pics showing top-down and/or side views, I remain uncertain as to the differences(s) between his vision & yours re the tapering or lack thereof. But take look at this American Set cathedral mounting:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14K-WHITE-G...GAGEMENT-RING-SOLITAIRE-SETTING-/221160050150
You'll see that the width across remains constant up to the head; do you like that or do you want the shoulders/arms to become more narrow as they approach the head?

Or is your primary concern the height a/k/a thickness or depth of the arms? Even in your inspiration ring, when the shank splits away, the the arms are skinnier, not as thick/deep as the shank when it goes around the sides & back of the finger; are you thinking you want bulkier or less bulky arms than what he has proposed?

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
ugh, im really confused now. lol. But that link you posted is not at all what I'm looking for. I basically want as thin of a ring as possible, both because I like the delicate look, and it will make the stone appear larger. Because the jeweler believes going below 2mm width is a bad idea, I want it to taper towards the stone so that from the top down, it appears as thin as possible.
Like this:
http://boards.weddingbee.com/topic/cathedral-solitaires-taper-show-me-picsgive-an-opinion/
(in this pic, 2mm looks like it will be pretty thin, which is encouraging!)

But I still want those very straight lines from the side view, which is lost if it tapers that way as well.

I think a good example of the difference is this:

Taper side view
http://www.1diamondsource.com/engagement-rings/solitaires/rings/t_cathedral.htm

vs this:

No taper side view
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-cathedral-setting-or-classic-setting.184517/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/need-help-cathedral-setting-or-classic-setting.184517/[/URL]
(the cathedral OP posted not the 6prong below)

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
I think you've gotten a lot of good advice and context already. I still am not sure exactly what you mean about the taper, so I made this quick mockup to see if we've got this correct. It is my understanding that you want the top view to look tapered toward the stone (as on the far right) but that from the profile you want the gallery to have a more triangular negative space, like on the left side of the profile drawing, as opposed to showing a taper from the ring base up toward the stone, as in the right side of the profile drawing. Is that accurate? If so, it is possible that the jeweler's concern is that the cathedral piece won't be strong enough if it is thin all the way from the ring shank to the stone, especially if it narrows in width (as seen from above). Maybe ask him about this if he has not articulated it, and maybe some of the more experienced folks will chime in.

mockup_cathedral.png

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
enbcfsobe|1431374231|3875184 said:
I think you've gotten a lot of good advice and context already. I still am not sure exactly what you mean about the taper, so I made this quick mockup to see if we've got this correct. It is my understanding that you want the top view to look tapered toward the stone (as on the far right) but that from the profile you want the gallery to have a more triangular negative space, like on the left side of the profile drawing, as opposed to showing a taper from the ring base up toward the stone, as in the right side of the profile drawing. Is that accurate? If so, it is possible that the jeweler's concern is that the cathedral piece won't be strong enough if it is thin all the way from the ring shank to the stone, especially if it narrows in width (as seen from above). Maybe ask him about this if he has not articulated it, and maybe some of the more experienced folks will chime in.

mockup_cathedral.png

Yes, that's exactly it! Except I'm not really wanting the shoulder to be as thin as the left side of the drawing, I'd like for it to be more in line with the thickness of the rest of the ring profile (the circular part).

But thank you so much for helping me to clarify that, I have zero graphic skills.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
if you want it to be the same thickness as the ring, that may pose the problem of not leaving much of a negative space at all, depending on the overall width of the ring and the angle toward the stone (and the size of the stone). those are proportions that you will just have to trust the jeweler and his CAD program to calculate. but i hope you understand what I mean. Also, I feel like it may look somewhat clunky to have the cathedral pieces be both thick and tapered, which may be why the jeweler is somewhat resistant.

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
Had the jeweler send me the CADs
Thoughts?

neus_ring.jpg

neus_ring_2.jpg

diannec18

Shiny_Rock
There's just something that I don't love about the profile that I can't put my finger on...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results