shape
carat
color
clarity

Ovals...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mikepele8

Rough_Rock
I''m new to PS and have a question about oval diamonds and, of course, the bow-ties. Is the degree of the bow-tie effect something that can only be judged by seeing the diamond? Or, can I make an educated "guess" based on the figures I''m provided with? For example, it would seem to me that an oval that is cut more like a round (i.e., have a L/W ratio on the lower end (1.35 maybe?) should exhibit less of a bow-tie? Is there any truth to this, or should I not proceed with the purchase of an oval diamond w/o first seeing it?
Obviously, underlying this entire question is my reluctance to rely on jewelers who have reassured me that the bow-tie effect is "minimal" only to discover otherwise.
Thanks to all.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/3/2004 9:47:53 AM mikepele8 wrote:

Is the degree of the bow-tie effect something that can only be judged by seeing the diamond?

----------------

As far as I know, yes
2.gif

Pictures do help with this too and quite well.

Even if "rovals" are less likely to have bow tie, that "less likely" is not going to help much with one stone in particular. Besides, there must be a personal tollerance limit where a roundish oval starts to looks like a botched round. To me that's about 1.2:2 for a smaller stone, for example. It makes lots more sense just to look for a nicely cut oval with a reasonably small bow-tie and the proportions you like best, IMO.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Minimizing a bow-tie is good to do for the appearance of a diamond. However, there are so many other considerations that take priority. There are lots of ways to cut a diamond, but usually not really many financially viable choices that conserve weight AND return nearly the most saleable stone.

A short oval, nearly round may have little to no bow-tie, but would you want such a stone? How many others would? A nicely fashined, normal shaped oval would do far better even with the expected bow-tie. When you get down to it, a bow-tie of some sort is pretty much inherent in oval, marquise and pear shaped diamonds. Within reason, it is part of the overall accepted "look" of these shapes. At some point, a bow-tie might become overly prominent and probably best for a smart shopper to avoid. There are plenty of shoppers who are not "smart" or simply look for size over quality anyway.

mikepele8

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I suppose my anxiety is a result of a lack of information. I understand the bow-tie is, among other things, a product of the pavillion depths and angles. The only problem is most online jewelers are not able to provide such information. I have checked out goodoldgold, but wonder why more online jewelers don't provide the same extensive information (well, I suppose I know why). At any rate, thanks for the information and your committment to this website. I have learned a tremendous amount!

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
You may want to contact SuperbCert...I think they are coming out with a brand of very-well cut oval stones.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results