shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval vs. Round Brilliant

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
The more rings I see on this site, the more my choice is wavering from a round cut to an oval. I adore the classic round cut, but the oval is so beautiful. I think I have fat hands, so would the oval cut look strange? So are there people on here who can weigh in with pictures or ideas? I''m gravitating towards a solitaire, but if you see my other post about diamonds and amber stones, maybe that would change. Thanks for anyone''s help in advance.
21.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried/compared ovals and rounds on your finger to see which shape looks better? Pictures of other peoples'' rings can only give you so much idea of a look. You have to try rings on your own finger. (almost half the styles I''ve loved here in PS have ended up not looking all that great in real life! I always end up getting something else.)

At any rate, with your finger, you may find that an oval with side stones to look most complimentary!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I have tried the styles on my hand, and I''m really leaning towards the round. I just love classic shapes. Are there more facets to the round brilliant than the oval? I really love the fire. And I suppose the rounds are easier to find. I am so wishy-washy. My boyfriend says it''s lucky we can''t choose the gender of our children because it''d be nine months of ever chaning me! I think I''m almost set on round, although I wish for something original, as well. Darn. Does anyone know of original settings?
19.gif

flutterby

Brilliant_Rock
I always thought i wanted a round solitaire setting, they are so classic and beautiful. I ended up with an oval ruby halo, all of my own making. I am indecisive but once i tried on lots of rings the choice became clear.

susi

Shiny_Rock
Amber, I owned a 2 ct oval for several years....it was very white and beautifully cut and I never thought I would grow tired of it but I did
8.gif
Also, it was difficult for *me* to find a mount I was satisfied with. I think I had it in 7-8 mounts in just two years! Finally traded it in for a round. Again, for me, the round is classic, it''s easy to find mountings for this shape and I find it easy to wear.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I pity my poor boyfriend, we were all set on a round solitaire in white gold with a cathedral setting, but then I saw an oval solitaire in a magazine. Now he''s confused. I think I''m set for a round though. I love classic. I really wanted amber sidestones, but unfortunately they are too soft a stone to put with diamond.
8.gif
I can only be so conceited, then, huh?
2.gif
The round is beautiful, but I liked the originality of the oval. Nothing wrong with classic, I''ve since figured.

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with susi, although I am partial to round brilliants. I have developed a SERIOUS complex about my fingers being fat since joining pricescope, (I think the average ring size here is probably a 4) and I personally think rounds look better on "fat" fingers.... Let us know what you decide!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I''ve got the fat finger complex, too! Thank god it''s not just me! I''ve been looking at my fingers and thinking, is 6.5 huge? I thought it was average to small, it''s my shoe size! I have a lot to learn. I think I agree with the notion that rounds look better on "not skinny" fingers than say, a marquise cut. So the round brilliant- is that hearts and arrows? I don''t like that cut all too much. Maybe because I have an untrained eye?

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Amberwaves,
I also wear a 6.5. I always thought it was average and when I went to different jewelers they told me the same thing, but I can''t help but feel as though they should belong to the michelin man or something. My FFC (Fat Finger Complex) has gotten so bad that it''s not so much thinking "IS 6.5 huge?" it''s more like "a 6.5 ring size IS enormous".

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
kalisprea, MAYBE (and I''m only saying this to make myself feel better) they are all from a different country where sizes are different! I''m in California, you''d think I''d get used to smaller sizes all around me. My FFC is pretty bad now. I''m almost not wanting my boyfriend to know. Too bad he already does. I''d rather get a ring that fit, instead of one that doesn''t!!

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/19/2005 9:34:20 PM
Author: kalispera
Amberwaves,
I also wear a 6.5. I always thought it was average and when I went to different jewelers they told me the same thing, but I can''t help but feel as though they should belong to the michelin man or something. My FFC (Fat Finger Complex) has gotten so bad that it''s not so much thinking ''IS 6.5 huge?'' it''s more like ''a 6.5 ring size IS enormous''.
Whow...how is that supposed to make a gal like me feel with a size 9 ring finger?
emotion-40.gif
Its really easy to get caught up with the size of one''s fingers and get a little anal on this...when I first started lurking here at PS, I got very depressed over all the dainty, pretty and tiny ring finger sizes mentioned, but then I realized we reallly need to get off the whole SFS(Sausage Finger Sundrome) or MHS(Man Hand Syndrome) which I think I am the poster child for. If we don''t, we run the risk of putting needless emphasis on where it shouldn''t be. Let''s focus on diamonds instead...ok?
emwink.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Its also hard NOT to be so aware of our hands and fingers with all the handshots of rings. Yes, the tinier hands make the diamonds even appear bigger than they already are, but you and I are individuals and we need to forgive our natural appearing hands and fingers. I speak mostly for myself cuz believe me, I am harder on me than ANYONE ever could be.
emotion-5.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Size 6.5 is considered big?!??!?!
6.gif
My ring finger is a size 6 - 6.5 but the rest of my fingers are 7.

I love round...they are classic. I think I would get bored with anything else after awhile.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Caribou, I agree with you, the round cuts are amazing. I had decided yesterday to get a round cut, but then my boyfriend mentioned last night that he "Kinda really likes the cushion cut". Man, at this rate, I''m going to be changing stones constantly. Also, DeannaBana, we didn''t mean any offense to anyone, we were just commenting on the difference of sizes and how we never really noticed finger sizes until we came here. No harm was meant.
28.gif

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
I like cushion cut too....I don''t know that I''d get tired of that....actually I probably wouldn''t get tired of any diamond.
26.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I am so slow, but is the cushion cut like a slightly squared off version of a RB? Or am I SO completely off the mark?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/19/2005 9:21:09 PM
Author: AmberWaves

I really wanted amber sidestones, but unfortunately they are too soft a stone to put with diamond.
Wait a minute... amber colored stones can be sapphire or garnets and those are definitely suitable for wear. Especially since the sidestones will not be huge.

You must have seen this (radiant with heart shapes sides) - a round or an oval would work just as well. Here''s a round in a similar setting:

tmb_big_0655-017.jpg.jpg

Just in case you like the setting, Here''s a match. It is rather large, but if you only need it one or one and a half sizes down... it may be sized like that.

Amber colored diamonds might be labeled ''brownish yellow''. There must be a pair somewhere for you if you insist
2.gif
Any shade of orange-yellow with a tinge of brown (or not?) would fit the description as much as I can tell. Now, the ''red'' shades of aber may be allot harder to match - but you may find the warmer tones of ''cognac'' diamonds somewhat close. Anyway, for any such things I would let the maker of the ring look up a pair of sidestones - they are not all that often sold loose.

Since you will be looking for small size, even very fine color would not be a fortune overall. Just for a random example, there are a couple of pairs of yellow and orange sidestones listed here.

Yellow sidestones are not unheard of by all means - around this forum, Diamonds by Lauren turns out quite a few rings like that. There''s always one or two on their website, for example:

9353za.jpg

And could these be an ''amber colored diamond''
2.gif
If so, good for you!

10550b.jpg

Hope lining up some options helps ...

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
You are just so helpful, Valeria101! That last ring with the center stone is the color of the pendant I''m wearing right now! This is going to be so much fun. Thank you.
36.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 12:12:25 PM
Caribou, I agree with you, the round cuts are amazing. I had decided yesterday to get a round cut, but then my boyfriend mentioned last night that he ''Kinda really likes the cushion cut''. Man, at this rate, I''m going to be changing stones constantly. Also, DeannaBana, we didn''t mean any offense to anyone, we were just commenting on the difference of sizes and how we never really noticed finger sizes until we came here. No harm was meant.
28.gif
Oh, I know you didn''t...it just seems that sometimes people don''t realize that gals like me with larger ring sizes sometimes can''t help it. Even at my smallest weight as an adult, I still wore a size 8 ring. Don''t worry...I really wasn''t personally offended. I think sometimes people say something and others around them wish they could fit into a size 6.5 or 7.5 ring. It makes it a real challenge to go try on rings at jewelry shops, I''ll tell you that. I take consol that there quite alot of ladies where I live here in Riverside,CA that are more like me than rail thin and tiny ring fingers. In my area, the average ring size is 8.5...there are a few tiny handed ladies here but a majority of us wear M-L shirts, vary somewhere around 15-20 lbs from where we ideally would like to be in weight and have size 8.5 ring fingers...that''s all.

Don''t worry...I am not that easily offended
emwink.gif
...If I sounded like I was, then I''M sorry...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally rate the oval with the heart...Id pass on a diamond if those were my only choices. So without hesitation I say Round.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Deanna, funny you should say you''re from Riverside. I''m from L.A. the land of the tiny everythings. It''s even funnier also that in my family, we have HUGE knuckles, so my poor dad has this ring that he has to force past his knuckles but constantly spins around his finger. I''d look strange with smaller fingers, I like mine. My hands never get cold!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ame, I agree. I think now I'm really going for the round. But now that I'm considering colored diamond sidestones, what shape? A round diamond on a cushion or contour setting (I did really like the cathedral setting, but some of them are just too high) with small side stones...
33.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~You can''t go wrong with the brilliance and fire of a round!!!
30.gif
30.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~I meant to add this to my previous post... what color sidestones would you get?? I think that if you get a round diamond, heart shaped or pear sidestones would be perfect... Here is an example of a Leon Mege Creation

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Deanna,
As amberwaves already said, no harm was meant by our statements at all, sorry if it came out like that. I just meant to point out how I didn''t really think about my ring size before joining PS, how quickly things change. I think a lot of my SFS and MHS problems came before PS and stem from the fact that my mother often critized my hands for being "fat" (in her opinion)
29.gif
. I have grown to learn that her opinion about my ring size is ridiculous. I have no problem with my ring size now and wouldn''t change it, even if I could, because it''s so insignificant and unimportant to who I really am
17.gif
. I simply admire people on PS who have "dainty" hands. Sorry again, if it came off as being insensitive or mean. /idealbb/editor/cute/images/emsmile.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 8:11:25 PM
Author: kalispera
Deanna,
As amberwaves already said, no harm was meant by our statements at all, sorry if it came out like that. I just meant to point out how I didn''t really think about my ring size before joining PS, how quickly things change. I think a lot of my SFS and MHS problems came before PS and stem from the fact that my mother often critized my hands for being ''fat'' (in her opinion)
29.gif
. I have grown to learn that her opinion about my ring size is ridiculous. I have no problem with my ring size now and wouldn''t change it, even if I could, because it''s so insignificant and unimportant to who I really am
17.gif
. I simply admire people on PS who have ''dainty'' hands. Sorry again, if it came off as being insensitive or mean.
emsmile.gif
Please kalispera and everyone else...I am NOT offended...ok? I was merely making an observation of words. We all do it from time to time. I know ill will was intended. Don''t worry...I am fine with this...honest
emwink.gif

DonaBella

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 5:26:19 PM
Deanna, funny you should say you''re from Riverside. I''m from L.A. the land of the tiny everythings. It''s even funnier also that in my family, we have HUGE knuckles, so my poor dad has this ring that he has to force past his knuckles but constantly spins around his finger. I''d look strange with smaller fingers, I like mine. My hands never get cold!
Wow...we''re neighbors! Small world!
emsmile.gif
I have lived here in Riverside for almost 16 years and I notice that the closer one gets to the beach, the thinner the women, the smaller the lots for houses, the higher the cost for those houses, etc. I am a definite mixure of cultures--Spanish(from Spain), Italian, Swedish, German, Polish, and Navajo. With that mixture, I don''t stand a chance of having small anything w/o working pretty hard on it. I actually don''t mind my hands. You know what I am noticing that I wish was more dainty? My wrist! I love bracelets, but I have to buy bracelets that are a minimum of 7 1/4 inches around. Sad, huh?
emsad.gif
If you are ever coming our my way, pm me and stop by and say hi!
emwink.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/20/2005 5:28:53 PM
Ame, I agree. I think now I''m really going for the round. But now that I''m considering colored diamond sidestones, what shape? A round diamond on a cushion or contour setting (I did really like the cathedral setting, but some of them are just too high) with small side stones...
33.gif
Round with pears!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
You know I love a round with pears, haha!!!
9.gif

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
Rounds with pears are a great combo!! YUMMY!!
18.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results