shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Questions for Canadian Shopper

nostic

Rough_Rock
Hello!
I've recently started shopping for a diamond engagement ring and i can say this search has been quite overwhelming thus far.
I've been doing a ton of research on my own but i'm hoping to see if i can get some feedback from the experts on this forum!

I'm looking to purchase an oval diamond and i'm not sure if this is feasible for my budget or not.
Budget: ~$8,000 CAD for the diamond only

Oval Diamond (Real or Lab doesn't matter as long as it's a diamond)
L:W Ratio between 1.40 to 1.50 (around ~9mm in length)
More brilliant is better of course!
It will be set in a 14K gold ring so i've read i could get away with color grades as low as "J".

Is there anything glaringly wrong with this diamond that i found on Brilliant Earth?
http://www.gemfacts.com/Cert/CertSearch?certNo=290630161

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you haven’t seen an oval in a J, you might want to look to make sure you’re ok with the colour before you buy. I find that I can see the tint in round stones at that colour grade, and ovals show more tint than rounds. Duty is refundable (you just have to submit an application with proof of return), but insured shipping can be over $100 when sending things back across the border. It’s easier to be sure and shop once than have to pay return shipping fees.

Sadly I can’t help pick the stone. I’m not expert enough on that front. Maybe someone else will chime in to help?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think with a budget of $8000 CAD, you should be able to find a nice mined diamond. I’m not sure I would spend that much on a man made stone. They are much harder to trade in or sell if you ever want to upgrade.

The Canadian site at Blue Nile didn’t have any ovals with your specifications that I personally loved. If you decide you are comfortable with a J, the one you linked looks pretty nice.

ETA: brilliant earth has a number of better cut ovals in the 1 carat range that are in budget in the G and above range. Might be worth a look.

Last edited:
M

Marriedbuteloped

I knew you would not keep it. :) But how do you like the size and look? Is it how you imagined? Can you see a ring with it. What does your fiancé think?

I do think waiting is the right decision btw..

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
I knew you would not keep it. :) But how do you like the size and look? Is it how you imagined? Can you see a ring with it. What does your fiancé think?

I do think waiting is the right decision btw..

??? Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread? I can’t make sense of your reply, lol

M

Marriedbuteloped

??? Did you accidentally post in the wrong thread? I can’t make sense of your reply, lol
Yeah wrong thread.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results