shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval question for the resident Oval experts/lovers :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

casblue18

Rough_Rock
I''ve been lurking on PS for some time now, and decided I finally needed to register. The information, community, and level of care is quite amazing and special!

Now on to my question. I''m looking for an Oval diamond for my FW''s engagement ring, and I''ve poured over all the info I can find on ovals/fancies here and GOG and other reputable sites. I have a good idea of what I''m looking for: ~1.1-1.3carat, VS2(ish), E/F/G, depth 59-63% table 55-60%. Now I''m trying to figure out the "paper" side of the numbers that will produce the most brilliant/firy/scintillating diamond I can find.

I''ve read here that for Ovals L/W ratio is especially important and to stay between 1.33:1 and 1.66:1 on the good side, and between 1.4:1 and 1.5:1 on the best side.

My question is, what sorts of pav and crown angles are best for an Oval style? And, given most online retailers don''t supply that information, what is the best way of going about finding the best Oval online (since often you can''t see pictures)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with me!

Chris

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 1:52:17 PM
Author:casblue18
I've been lurking on PS for some time now, and decided I finally needed to register. The information, community, and level of care is quite amazing and special!

Now on to my question. I'm looking for an Oval diamond for my FW's engagement ring, and I've poured over all the info I can find on ovals/fancies here and GOG and other reputable sites. I have a good idea of what I'm looking for: ~1.1-1.3carat, VS2(ish), E/F/G, depth 59-63% table 55-60%. Now I'm trying to figure out the 'paper' side of the numbers that will produce the most brilliant/firy/scintillating diamond I can find.

I've read here that for Ovals L/W ratio is especially important and to stay between 1.33:1 and 1.66:1 on the good side, and between 1.4:1 and 1.5:1 on the best side.

My question is, what sorts of pav and crown angles are best for an Oval style? And, given most online retailers don't supply that information, what is the best way of going about finding the best Oval online (since often you can't see pictures)?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge and experience with me!

Chris
Welcome Chris!

It would be much easier to be able to judge an oval by numbers, but unfortunately it isn't that simple. The charts give suggested measurements, please use as a guide only, otherwise you could miss out on many lovely diamonds that you could be very happy with. Angles don't worry about those too much, crown height can be useful if you can get it.

By far the best way to shop for an oval, is to work with a vendor who has in house diamonds, who can also provide detailed photographs for you which are essential, and ASET images which are very useful for fancy shapes. A trusted vendor can be your eyes and help you through the process, so make the most of their expertise.

Check out the vendors below

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

www.winkjones.com

www.engagementringsdirect.com

Once you find a vendor you like, contact them and let them know what you are looking for, then they can suggest diamonds you might like. As to length to width ratio, it is personal preference - no right or wrong there, oval shapes can vary a lot.

Here is a very useful shape selector which might help you with oval shape.

Your colour and clarity specs are fine, maybe consider GIA or AGS graded H colour and a verified eyeclean SI1 clarity grade so you have broader options, but it is a personal preference as to which you ultimately choose, get a great cut and any colour and clarity grade will look superb.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not think the angles on an oval are more or less constant, like in rounds?

I also don't think the lxw ratio is that important, as there are many ways of cutting an oval.

I wonder if you might try the new AGS graded ovals?
27.gif
There are a few listed that I think might be AGS light performance rated. 1.01 D SI2, 1.02 E SI2, 1.03 E SI2.

Otherwise, pictures are pretty useful.

casblue18

Rough_Rock
Lorelei, thanks for the welcome and advice! I certainly plan on working with an experienced vendor (esp. since I''m also not familiar with different types of beautiful "vintage" oval settings, which the FW wants). I just wanted to try to get as much background info first, to be somewhat educated when I do start calling.

Do most vendors provide photographs if asked? I would imagine it''d only be possible if they have them in their stock and aren''t dropshippers (and the ones you listed I believe are typically not)

Julien, thank you as well for your kind advice. Still kind of a noobie here; I''ve poked around for the "new AGS graded ovals" system without much luck - do you know of a link? Thanks again
10.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 3:41:32 PM
Author: casblue18
Lorelei, thanks for the welcome and advice! I certainly plan on working with an experienced vendor (esp. since I'm also not familiar with different types of beautiful 'vintage' oval settings, which the FW wants). I just wanted to try to get as much background info first, to be somewhat educated when I do start calling.

Do most vendors provide photographs if asked? I would imagine it'd only be possible if they have them in their stock and aren't dropshippers (and the ones you listed I believe are typically not)

Julien, thank you as well for your kind advice. Still kind of a noobie here; I've poked around for the 'new AGS graded ovals' system without much luck - do you know of a link? Thanks again
10.gif
You are most welcome!

The vendors I listed have in house diamonds, so they should be able to supply you will the all important photographs, some of them can also provide ASET images too. Jon at GOG may even be able to provide you with a video if you find some ovals with him that you are interested in.

Here is the GOG existing video list for you to look at - http://www.goodoldgold.com/video/

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lorelei, thanks for the welcome and advice! I certainly plan on working with an experienced vendor (esp. since I''m also not familiar with different types of beautiful ''vintage'' oval settings, which the FW wants). I just wanted to try to get as much background info first, to be somewhat educated when I do start calling.

Do most vendors provide photographs if asked? I would imagine it''d only be possible if they have them in their stock and aren''t dropshippers (and the ones you listed I believe are typically not)

Julien, thank you as well for your kind advice. Still kind of a noobie here; I''ve poked around for the ''new AGS graded ovals'' system without much luck - do you know of a link? Thanks again
10.gif
It looks like it was just BAM, AGS now grades ovals. I expect it to be like the other grading systems for rounds and princesses. Whether AGS has actually issued any reports, and if they have made their way to the PS database, is another story. Wanna take one for the team? You might ask for the copy of the report on this one: http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-1129405.htm

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/22/2008 3:54:23 PM
Author: JulieN

Lorelei, thanks for the welcome and advice! I certainly plan on working with an experienced vendor (esp. since I'm also not familiar with different types of beautiful 'vintage' oval settings, which the FW wants). I just wanted to try to get as much background info first, to be somewhat educated when I do start calling.

Do most vendors provide photographs if asked? I would imagine it'd only be possible if they have them in their stock and aren't dropshippers (and the ones you listed I believe are typically not)

Julien, thank you as well for your kind advice. Still kind of a noobie here; I've poked around for the 'new AGS graded ovals' system without much luck - do you know of a link? Thanks again
10.gif
It looks like it was just BAM, AGS now grades ovals. I expect it to be like the other grading systems for rounds and princesses. Whether AGS has actually issued any reports, and if they have made their way to the PS database, is another story. Wanna take one for the team? You might ask for the copy of the report on this one: http://www.whiteflash.com/oval/Oval-cut-diamond-1129405.htm
You would need to check very carefully that an SI2 clarity diamond is eyeclean to your standards Chris, if you wanted to drop from VS to SI2. The best way to do this is to get a trusted vendor to look at the diamond for you, and for you to explain your expectations concerning not seeing any inclusions up close from any angle for example, with the above diamond, WF would have to call it in to check it out.

Much of choosing fancy shapes cannot be explained by numbers etc, but it is a matter of falling in love with it, the shape and sparkle, faceting and performance, personality and the diamonds' ' presence.' Also I hadn't mentioned, do check in each instance concerning any visible bow tie in an oval, some may show more than others, so check with the vendor concerning this. If you want an oval with a minimal BT, then be sure to let the vendor know as some diamonds may show it more than others.

More on bow ties here - http://www.goodoldgold.com/ShapeTutorials/ShapeTips1/

casblue18

Rough_Rock
Very good point. As far as clarity goes, eyeclean is what I''m interested in (she won''t care about the Cert listing it as VS vs. SI etc as long as it''s beautiful). However, from my limited experience in "feeling out" stones at local B&Ms, I''ve noticed that some higher clarity graded stones can actually be more visibly included than lower graded (inclusions on lower facets vs. table, etc), hence I had been setting my cutoff bar higher.

I completely agree about getting to know a trusted vendor, getting him/her to understand my idea on what I''m looking for, and then trusting their judgment (along with pics and paper of course
21.gif
). Beginning to realize that for ovals (and most fancies, I believe), the numbers are going to be less important. Like you said, it''s about falling in love with the stone.

casblue18

Rough_Rock
Somewhat related to "falling in love" with diamonds online: what is the general opinion on the "Virtual Loupe" feature that some vendors use to view diamonds online? Is it reliable enough, or do the variety of lighting/angles/etc. render it only somewhat useful? I have no precedents to go on
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results