shape
carat
color
clarity

Oval Diamond Double Halo Advice

Nicki25

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,

This is my very first post after viewing everyone else's for months now...

I am having a dilemma. Recently I lost my mind and decided to purchase a Neil Lane oval double halo setting from Kay Jewelers. My husband and I saw it originally at Jared, but decided to purchase the setting from Kay since they were having a sale and we were able to get it for around $1700.00 US. I thought this was a steal, so we went for it despite everything I read on PS. I asked them at the time how large of a center stone the setting could accommodate, since it is typically set with a 1/2 ct. oval ( I knew I wanted something larger). They told me up to a 3/4ct, so we ended up purchasing a .63 oval diamond from Blue Nile.
Fast forward... My husband took the diamond in to be set and they told him it would take about 2 weeks since they would need to sent it off. I thought...2 weeks? That seem a bit long, but okay. Then the two weeks came and went, and of course nothing. Kay came up with some excuse that they needed to get a larger head to accommodate my stone and that it would be another 10 days. At this point I had a feeling that something was wrong. Finally I called them on the day that my ring was supposed to be back in and they broke down and told me that they couldn't set the stone because it wouldn't fit in the setting. I was livid. I mean why waste my time??? This was a totally waste of my time and money (even though they did give me a full refund).

Now I'm back to square one looking for another oval double halo setting with a split shank for my oval diamond. I've looked at James Allen, but I'm nervous that the setting sits too low on the finger and will look more like a shield. The one at Kay had more of a cathedral base. I also checked out Lauren B jewelers in NYC, but they were asking around $4500.00 for the setting in WG. That's wayyyy out of my budget as I don't want to go over $2300.00. Any ideas are more than welcomed.

Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the one you bought and returned so we know what it looked like.

Are you talking $2300 for just the setting or $2300 for the setting and stone? Just trying to make sure what the budget is.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe it was a blessing in disguise? ;)) Sorry though that what should have been a happy occasion, didn't turn out that way. My suggestion, if you are in NYC, is to visit I.D Jewelry. They carry a variety of halo settings, from what others that have been in the shop mention. Not only is their pricing reasonable, they will try to find you your perfect setting. Chin up. Will work out. :))

http://idjewelry.com

Judy

Nicki25

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I'll be sure to reach out to them.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I'm sorry that happened to you. :nono: I would consider reaching out to get some quotes. Some of these vendors could possibly customize for your specific stone. David Klass may also be an option since turnaround seems fairly quick lately. Maybe email and at least get a quote? Wishing you good luck with your search. :wavey:

Also, I agree with the Gabriel & Co suggestion. They have some nice settings.
James Allen - The description lists this one as available for other shapes.
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagemen...k-double-halo-pave-engagement-ring-item-17845
BE - Listed as customizable. http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/erica-bpid-1269-45.html
BN - Listed as customizable. http://www.bluenile.com/build-your-...g-18k-white-gold_33606?elem=img&track=product

Madison2

Brilliant_Rock
My advice is to get your money back for the kay setting and go to ID Jewelry located in NY,
Yekutiel can find you a very beautiful setting for your oval diamond. Also FYI, they sell Gabriel and company settings too. BE is going to charge a lot more money than IDJ, so if your looking to stay within budget, I would definitely go to IDJ.
Good luck!

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
I second the David klass suggestion, I think it's the best decision to get a setting for your diamond and not the other way around.

Nicki25

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I couldn't really tell if the first one was a double halo...it was very pretty none the less.

Nicki25

Rough_Rock
Yes I did reach out to ID last week. They have been slow in response, so I ping'd this morning. Someone is supposed to be emailing me some options today. We'll see...

Nicki25

Rough_Rock
Thanks for sending me these options. So I've been looking at the JA setting but was concerned that it would sit to low on my finger, making it look more like a shield. What are your thoughts?

I actually never realized that the BN setting could be customized. Dag...I would have inquired a long time ago. However I did realize that the stones in the halo are only SI versus most of the other settings from other companies are VS. But I guess for the price it's fine.

I love the BE setting, I think it's close to what I've been envisioning. I'm going to ask for a quote.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results