shape
carat
color
clarity

Out-of-date Ring Styles?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
Sometimes when I look at estate jewelry, the style just looks dated to me, but sometimes it really does retain a timelessness. Any pointers on how to pick out rings that will age gracefully? Any of today''s popular styles that you can just tell will look "Sooo 2004!" in a few years?

Of course I know all of this is personal preference, but that''s what I''m asking for-- your personal preferences and opinion. I really hope that a discussion of styles won''t trigger any hurt feelings...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sometimes think that trilliant and princess cuts will look dated in time as they look modern now.

Emerald cut and radiant cut I would say look more classical because they are seen in antique rings with real emerald gemstones or radiant cut surrounded by small stones in an art deco setting. But then is art deco dated, maybe it is as it was modern in its day.

I think the round as well as being the most brilliant of all cuts stands the test of time which is probably why it is the most popular cut.

I tend to think the pear cut looks pretty but antique looking. Maybe I am wrong with my assumptions.

Oval cuts look antique in the same way as the pear does to me, I can''t explain why though.

The asscher cut definitely looks antique as it like art deco is linked to an era when it was first fashioned and fashionable.

MelissaSue

Ideal_Rock
Well.. I personally think that Marquise was REALLY big in the 90s.. but is already becoming "dated" I still know quite a few people getting them though. In fact, I thought that was what I wanted until about a year ago. I think pyramid might be right about princesses too..

Melissa

PhillipSchmidt

Brilliant_Rock
I hope princess cuts will last because I love them. Square is such a common shape in the universe, so I don''t think they will forgotten.

Marquise are definately not common anymore, perhaps a cutter will come up with a cut that sparkles more
36.gif

rbrilliant

Rough_Rock

I think with all of the publicity in 2003 and 2004 in the future the right hand ring promoted by DeBeers will be one that you will be able to say " that is so 2004"

emsmileo.gif

Justin Krall G.G.; A.J.P.
Manhattan Appraisers, www.manhattanappraisers.com
Graduate Gemologist, Accredited Jewelry Professional
43 west 47th Street, Suite # 408
New York, NY 10036
212-764-0471

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Any ring that''s basically nothing but a conglomerate of melee or small stones is suspect. That holds true in any era, I think, because it looks like someone is trying to get lots of bling for little cash. Those types of settings are not going to get you very far because they''re basically cheap. Hence why those 80s settings look so awful now.

A well-made piece is always nice. Intricate vintage pieces are usually gorgeous because the depth of the engraving and solidity of the workmanship is so incredible. I think some of the vintage knockoffs you see nowadays are going to look dated and will be undesirable because they are so obviously flimsy.

On the other end of the spectrum, simplicity is good. Elegance of line is good. I think some ultra-modern pieces will always be valued by tend-setters the way an Eames chair is.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
go to a popular online auction site and search for engagement rings...........see all of those cz knockoffs that look alike? stay away from anything that looks similar!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany''s solitaire started it''s career before 1900 and still goes strong with only a little modification. The early ones look even nicer... IMO.

You say it shouldn''t look "too 2004"... What on Earth does ?
9.gif

There are those piece that look typical Bauhaus, or Art Nouveau or Deco or what not and the link with a recognizable style is a badge of honor rather than fault.

The only thing I am farely sure about, is that adds are no good refference at all - what''s "hot" at any given time can just as likelyl have potential to become a classic, or is one already or will be forgotten in a week. Same for high end brand collections and designer houses - not all they do is "classic" although they''d wish
31.gif

Auction catalogs and historic reviews on jewelry style are useful - even if you are not remotely considering six figures: this doesn''t matter at all, it is always better to know what the best pieces look like regardless.

Just IMO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results