shape
carat
color
clarity

Ouroboros ring with an africa ruby

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
I have had this 0.55ct Africa ruby (5.35mm x 3.99mm) from Precision Gem for about 10 years and finally have it set. I just got the glamour shots from DK and I love it! I have two questions though:
(1) David went with diamonds (for the eyes) for the strength, but he can change them to emeralds. Should I have him changed to emeralds? In my imagination, I think it probably would look better with emeralds. But should I keep the diamonds for durability? Or use synthetic emeralds?
(2) The ring is high polish now, should I change the polish? I checked the looks of different polish (satin and brushed), but it is hard for me to imagine/decide.
Suggestions/comments are very much appreciated.

DK_snake1.jpg DK_snake2.jpg

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
What a gorgeous ruby and ring!

I think using emerald will make the eyes way more prominent and provide a nice contrast to the red ruby and yellow gold as well, the diamonds kind of disappear and isn't too visible (atleast from the picture).

And personally I'm loving the high polish!

First, the cut of the ruby is so unique!! And I lurrrve that you went with a snake motif. With regard to the finish, please don't touch it! I love brushed and satin finishes too, but I really feel like the scales and other detailing are being brought out beautifully by the high polish. About the eyes, the diamonds are, of course, a perfectly lovely accent. But, if you want this serpent's peepers to pop more, then I would go with natural vivid emerald. I wouldn't worry too much about them unless you plan on this being an every day ring. Congrats and enjoy!!

Ooo the green will just POP! against your ruby and the yellow gold. It's hard for me to see the diamonds right now (at least in the pics). So I think adding emeralds will add more oomph without taking away from the rest of the ring.

I think using emerald will make the eyes way more prominent and provide a nice contrast to the red ruby and yellow gold as well, the diamonds kind of disappear and isn't too visible (atleast from the picture).

Omg I didn't refresh my screen and ended up posting almost the same thing you just said :lol-2:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhhhhhhhh. Love it the BEST! :love: :love: :love: I'm team matte, but I just outrageously love a matte/brushed finish.
Minor threadjack, as I feel your indecision keenly!
So, I want to do something similar. I decided that when I do I'll have synth emerald/alex(for durability) for the eyes on the heads and a matte finish.
I want this artist to make mine
I'm hoping she'll set an outside stone because maybe I would love to incorporate one of my spinels into this ring...

il_fullxfull.3088872862_nwi7_1800x.jpg

with the modified basket of this band she does so I can have the kids' birthstone eyes as well.

il_fullxfull.3136445247_h9xl_1800x.jpg

I can't decide and I'm paralyzed! I'm stupidly dragging my feet on asking afraid she'll say she doesn't! I really should just grab my jumblies and do it. :lol:

I love your ouroboros. Love it. Agatha, my little friend, loves it too. 827343

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I love the exceptionally detailed modelling of the snake. The hexagonal cut ruby fits the head perfectly.

Like other posters, I'd go for emerald eyes. The red, green and yellow colours would really pop.

Not sure about the finish. It's beautiful as is. But satin finish might show the modelling more clearly. Maybe satin finish with polished highlights, e.g. for the bezel, the fangs, and the jaw outline.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
For the polish, I got a call from David's team. I learned both high polish and satin polish will look good but the satin polish will show the scale details better. We are going with satin polish for now; if I don't like it in person, they could change it again.

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

Thank you. The ruby looks luscious in the setting.

First, the cut of the ruby is so unique!! And I lurrrve that you went with a snake motif. With regard to the finish, please don't touch it! I love brushed and satin finishes too, but I really feel like the scales and other detailing are being brought out beautifully by the high polish. About the eyes, the diamonds are, of course, a perfectly lovely accent. But, if you want this serpent's peepers to pop more, then I would go with natural vivid emerald. I wouldn't worry too much about them unless you plan on this being an every day ring. Congrats and enjoy!!
Thank you! I am so happy with the result! It took me a long time to decide on the setting: it is a small stone and the cut is, as you said, unique. I even hesitated about the CAD and David sent me a model. I liked the model the moment I saw it and that cleared all the doubt I had. I cannot wait to see the ring in person!

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Ahhhhhhhhhh. Love it the BEST! :love: :love: :love: I'm team matte, but I just outrageously love a matte/brushed finish.
Minor threadjack, as I feel your indecision keenly!
So, I want to do something similar. I decided that when I do I'll have synth emerald/alex(for durability) for the eyes on the heads and a matte finish.
I want this artist to make mine
I'm hoping she'll set an outside stone because maybe I would love to incorporate one of my spinels into this ring...

il_fullxfull.3088872862_nwi7_1800x.jpg

with the modified basket of this band she does so I can have the kids' birthstone eyes as well.

il_fullxfull.3136445247_h9xl_1800x.jpg

I can't decide and I'm paralyzed! I'm stupidly dragging my feet on asking afraid she'll say she doesn't! I really should just grab my jumblies and do it. :lol:

I love your ouroboros. Love it. Agatha, my little friend, loves it too. IMG_20210413_120855006_2.jpg
I love your idea and drawings of having a stone in between. It will be a unique and beautiful ring! Your Agatha is a cutie!

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, I love snakes!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So so so can't wait to see it after the changes.:kiss2:

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have had this 0.55ct Africa ruby (5.35mm x 3.99mm) from Precision Gem for about 10 years and finally have it set. I just got the glamour shots from DK and I love it! I have two questions though:
(1) David went with diamonds (for the eyes) for the strength, but he can change them to emeralds. Should I have him changed to emeralds? In my imagination, I think it probably would look better with emeralds. But should I keep the diamonds for durability? Or use synthetic emeralds?
(2) The ring is high polish now, should I change the polish? I checked the looks of different polish (satin and brushed), but it is hard for me to imagine/decide.
Suggestions/comments are very much appreciated.

DK_snake1.jpg DK_snake2.jpg

I love the shape of the ruby! I would go for emerald eyes or even sapphire so they show up

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, this is beautiful! I’m excited to hear you decided on the emerald eyes. I think they would pop more that way.
can’t wait to see more pics! :kiss2:

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
A quick update: the changes are made and here is the ring with emerald eyes and satin finish:

DK20210601_a.jpg DK20210601_b.jpg

Based on the pictures, I think the high polish somehow makes the scales look more plump or full (i.e., more three-dimensional) to me; In other words, the satin polish seems to make the scales look flatter. I am not sure if it is just due to the light reflection in the image or not.
To help me decide, David's team also sent me a video with the ring on hand. I do like how it looks in the video and intend to go with the finish for now. But please do share your opinions.

Yasssssss! Big improvement with the emerald eyes!! The whole thing just pops beautifully now. It was meant to be, for sure. With regard to the finish, I don't really think you can go wrong either way. I originally favored the high polish. But the brushed finish does give it a sort of "Indiana Jones swiped this from a forbidden temple in Cairo" type vibe, which I love!

P.S. The reason the details look a bit flatter to you now probably has less to do with the finish itself. In order to create the satin look, the gold had to be texturized, which removes a bit of the surface. So that might have taken down the rounded portions a bit. Truthfully though, I'm not really noticing it!

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Yasssssss! Big improvement with the emerald eyes!! The whole thing just pops beautifully now. It was meant to be, for sure. With regard to the finish, I don't really think you can go wrong either way. I originally favored the high polish. But the brushed finish does give it a sort of "Indiana Jones swiped this from a forbidden temple in Cairo" type vibe, which I love!
You comment of "Indiana Jones swiped this from a forbidden temple in Cairo" is brilliant and describes the ring so well!

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Love love the emerald eyes. As for finish you can’t go wrong either way. Though tbh from photo alone didn’t notice at first. I just LOVE the ring though it’s just tdf.
Thank you! I am eager to see it in person and try it on.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm no help, I'm mad for matte so I'm always going to love the matte/brushed finish better. I love it and I think it's fantastic. I can't wait to see your pictures on the hand. :love:

A quick update: the changes are made and here is the ring with emerald eyes and satin finish:

DK20210601_a.jpg DK20210601_b.jpg

Based on the pictures, I think the high polish somehow makes the scales look more plump or full (i.e., more three-dimensional) to me; In other words, the satin polish seems to make the scales look flatter. I am not sure if it is just due to the light reflection in the image or not.
To help me decide, David's team also sent me a video with the ring on hand. I do like how it looks in the video and intend to go with the finish for now. But please do share your opinions.

I prefer the high shine polish. Maybe because it's causing more of a contrast with the "shadows" of the engraving, so the details are more apparent?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results