shape
carat
color
clarity

Orientation of MRB arrows in relation to prongs

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
I've noticed that MRB in four prong settings are usually oriented with the arrows in North/East/South/West positions. However, in my review of various photos online, I've noticed this is not the case for six prong settings, and especially so if the prongs are positioned in the slightly less traditional 11/1/3/5/9 o'clock positions.

I took the liberty of (somewhat poorly) mocking up the different orientations in photoshop as I am curious what is the preference of PSers.

What is your preference? How do/did you decide which way you want your arrows oriented?

prongs-odd.png

prongs-even.png

For some reason that I can't explain, I only like six prongs if positioned in example A below, in which case I prefer option #1 for the arrow orientation. For prong orientation example B, I like option #1 as well.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference...

A option 1
B option 2

I would never cover an arrow with a prong. I have a bezeled MRB and it is facing like Option 2 (A or B) above. If I had thought
about it at the time I would have had them face the arrow at 12 o'clock like Option 1 (A or B). Not a big deal though.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Option 2 in both instances. But option A2 is my favorite.

Option A2 I think draws your eye back into the center of the stone - this is an aesthetic composition question...the arrows not "pointing" towards a stone, draws your eye right off the diamond.

All of the other options cover the arrows in one way or another.

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Option 2 in both instances. But option A2 is my favorite.

Option A2 I think draws your eye back into the center of the stone - this is an aesthetic composition question...the arrows not "pointing" towards a stone, draws your eye right off the diamond.

All of the other options cover the arrows in one way or another.

That is an interesting comment regarding "drawing the eye back into the center of the stone".

To me, it seems nicer to have everything be more symmetrical, i.e. having arrows aligned with the prongs, like in A1 or B1. I never considered the fact that the prongs would cover the arrows though.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That is an interesting comment regarding "drawing the eye back into the center of the stone".

To me, it seems nicer to have everything be more symmetrical, i.e. having arrows aligned with the prongs, like in A1 or B1. I never considered the fact that the prongs would cover the arrows though.

Totally! Personal preference, it just depends on whatever is most pleasing to the eye.

I doubt covering the prongs is a big deal or anything, I just like them all being shown off!

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
i dont think i will notice the difference among any of the arrangements above. I'd be fine with any of them.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Visually, my eye gravitates to A1 and B2, but I don’t think I’d notice a difference between any of them. My 6 prong solitaire is set like B2.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B1. I’m super symmetrical and I don’t like odd numbers. I’m weird.

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
@cakeeatingcat - thank you so much for posting this. I have been debating how I want the prongs to be set. I never even thought how the arrow layout would impact it. Although I like the symmetrical look of B1, I don’t like the arrows at 12 and 6 o’clock covered. I am leaning towards B2.

@Kaycee2018, do you mind taking a picture of your ring showing the arrows in relation to your prongs? Thank you!!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
My ring setting is Option B, #2 but mine does not have arrows covered by prongs - not even bit as that would drive me crazy (I like looking at symmetry so when I look at my ring I want to see all 8 arrows fully, uncovered).

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting thread. Mine is set like B2

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My preference...

A option 1
B option 2

I would never cover an arrow with a prong. I have a bezeled MRB and it is facing like Option 2 (A or B) above. If I had thought
about it at the time I would have had them face the arrow at 12 o'clock like Option 1 (A or B). Not a big deal though.

Agreed. Either 1A or 2B but without the arrows being covered.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like A2 or B2. My diamond is set like A2.

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Didn’t pay attention before.
Just loupe mine - is set like B#2.
No arrow being blocked.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I prefer A1 then B1.
This post is really useful as I like the odd o’clock prongs so will be asking for those in my ring setting!

cakeeatingcat

Rough_Rock
Glad this thread is of interest to some!

A fifth option I've seen is similar to B1, but with the diamond positioned slightly askew so that the arrows aren't covered. So essentially somewhere between B1 and B2. I find the lack of symmetry jarring though.

Mavimaui

Rough_Rock
Interesting! Makes me wonder what options/how my ER will be set (currrently being made). Do you know if there are many traditional options for a four prong setting?

Dmndsr4evr11

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting! Makes me wonder what options/how my ER will be set (currrently being made). Do you know if there are many traditional options for a four prong setting?

My current 4 prong is set up as B2.

ssaratan

Rough_Rock
Think A2 is the best

Pros:
Illusion of less metal as prong 9/3 prong sits above the setting
Gives nicer round look/shows more diamond
Never cover up arrows

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results