shape
carat
color
clarity

Oregon Sunstone Purchase!

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
So I bought this Oregon sunstone at an auction and it is my first colored stone purchase... I have pretty mixed feelings about it! I feel like the stone looks kind of dull and generally uninspiring 95% of the time... kind of looks like water. However, when the angle and lighting conditions are right (see second to last picture) it has beautiful sparkle and shine like the vendor pic (see last picture.) It definitely doesn’t look like the vendor picture most of the time! I guess maybe my expectation was unrealistic because it won’t be shiny like a diamond all the time.

I was also a bit sad because I think my jeweler chipped the stone when they were setting it but I got the stone at such a good price that I feel bad complaining.

What do you guys think? Is this pretty standard looking for a sunstone?

4767F3E9-107B-48F7-9F94-32A947A8098B.jpeg B05FC117-CA8F-4B34-9802-DD37F318FA6A.jpeg 98BAAA08-A76D-4D99-988E-24564B6BDD93.jpeg B139E29E-DFC1-4C54-A898-F8B1A3471CA5.jpeg
14D5508C-E3A4-4BA9-8765-87150FAE8110.jpeg
3C1F7E01-636F-41C4-8B6F-B8CF39A43A83.jpeg

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best known for their schiller (copper inclusions), Oregon Sunstone can come with different variations in terms of color and saturation. They can be very interesting and beautiful stones. Your experience is why buying colored stones can be very difficult on-line without experience (even with experience, we all have misses) and why its good to ask for handshots, shots in different lighting...they often look/perform different than their beauty shots. Sunstones aren't tough stones and better worn in more protective settings (or as pendants)...not something one should have set by someone inexperienced in working with color stones.

You got a good price and you should enjoy wearing it. You can always replace the stone later if it doesn't grow on you. I bought a few sunstones amongst other inexpensive stones when I got started...a great way to learn!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s a very nice ring and I like that it’s stackable. You could add a play of color to compliment the brightness of the stone with colored gemstone bands. It’s very versatile.

CheeSauce

Shiny_Rock
Best known for their schiller (copper inclusions), Oregon Sunstone can come with different variations in terms of color and saturation. They can be very interesting and beautiful stones. Your experience is why buying colored stones can be very difficult on-line without experience (even with experience, we all have misses) and why its good to ask for handshots, shots in different lighting...they often look/perform different than their beauty shots. Sunstones aren't tough stones and better worn in more protective settings (or as pendants)...not something one should have set by someone inexperienced in working with color stones.

You got a good price and you should enjoy wearing it. You can always replace the stone later if it doesn't grow on you. I bought a few sunstones amongst other inexpensive stones when I got started...a great way to learn!

Thanks for the insight! Yes, I am planning to wear it as a travel ring (and also when I feel like wearing yellow gold) so I am not super disappointed. Also, I can reuse the settings if I find another colored stone I like. I think the cutting is probably very excellent but that the stone itself is not as reflective as the photo would suggest. I am happy I paid a good price on it or I think I would be more disappointed. Maybe I would prefer the opaqueness of citrine instead!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks pretty typical of a more clear-colored sunstone. I don't know if you have any jewelers with lots of colored gems near you or gem shows that come to your area, but perhaps you could hit up some of those to see some typical examples of a lot of different types of colored gems so you'll know more what to expect. That vendor photo is pretty misleading imo.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it and I hope you enjoy it! Part of the fun is watching how stones change in the light. Some stones are more day stones and look better in the sun. Others perform better in low light. The cut of yours is really nice and it’s a nice big size for you!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks lovely especially with the yellow gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results