shape
carat
color
clarity

Ordered magnifying goggles so I can re-string pearls. Who else uses them?

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I just re-strung a bracelet for the first time, a strand my mom got as a free gift years ago when she bought something else. Pearl quality isn't great, but they're perfect for practicing on. Upon louping, I can see the first few knots were kinda rough, then they became more uniformed once I started tightening the knots a certain way. They looked better than I expected, but my poor old lady eyes are crying so I ordered some magnifying goggles :lol: My husband laughed at me but I know he will steal them once he tries them on. He got back into his sports cards habit recently and hates using my loupe to look at surface condition. That whole market blew up recently and he's now rushing to send his old cards in for grading (similar to GIA), but rush grading is about $100 per card so he needs to make sure the condition will grade at least a PSA 9-9.5 or else it's not worth it. These will get a ton of use from both of us. Anyone else use them?

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I just re-strung a bracelet for the first time, a strand my mom got as a free gift years ago when she bought something else. Pearl quality isn't great, but they're perfect for practicing on. Upon louping, I can see the first few knots were kinda rough, then they became more uniformed once I started tightening the knots a certain way. They looked better than I expected, but my poor old lady eyes are crying so I ordered some magnifying goggles :lol: My husband laughed at me but I know he will steal them once he tries them on. He got back into his sports cards habit recently and hates using my loupe to look at surface condition. That whole market blew up recently and he's now rushing to send his old cards in for grading (similar to GIA), but rush grading is about $100 per card so he needs to make sure the condition will grade at least a PSA 9-9.5 or else it's not worth it. These will get a ton of use from both of us. Anyone else use them?

Brilliant response. I use computer glasses in my day job for the same reason. My father built ships in bottles and he used goggles to work. I'm sure most jewelers do too. I think you're smart.

By the way, I read they are coming out for eye drops to correct presbyopia for 24 hours. Daily drops and our "old lady eyes" will work better. wooohooo.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m definitely getting some of those! I’ll probably look less stupid than I do in my off the shelf, old lady reading glasses that don’t fit...

Pearlescence

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
When I was no longer able to see clearly to knot I got the cataracts removed. Result: see fine again.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

My dad built model boats
he had googles like this

i noticed Gary now has them tucked away safe out in the garage, i beleave he uses them for doing mysterious boy garage stuff

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
When I was no longer able to see clearly to knot I got the cataracts removed. Result: see fine again.

My ophthalmologist said "this is just normal aging, except you were 20/20 to begin with, so everything little change is much more noticeable" :rolleyes: I'm holding things like 2ft away! when it's clear, it's tiny! Hmm, maybe magnifying goggles wont help.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not heavy at all! My husband bought them some time ago so I also use them.
Edited to add: they are 9.5 ounces, several ounces lighter than yours.

Although I wear progressive lenses with quite a strong reading prescription, I find I see best with these magnifiers when I take off my glasses. Then I don't have to angle my head to see out of the reading section of my glasses when working close up.

They don't have a built-in light, but you can always light your work area.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I couldn't survive without them !! I have two pair , one stays with my metal work materials and the other with my pearls !

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results