shape
carat
color
clarity

Orange Sapphire

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
I finally got to take some pictures of some orange stones. This one is an Orange Sapphire in a 14k Yellow Gold ring with diamond accents. Comments/opinions welcome on all of it; photography, stone, piece. Don''t feel like you will hurt my feelings with your post. I like to hear it all, the good and the bad. I wouldn''t learn much if I didn''t get open criticism.
2.gif

2287-orange-sapphire-001.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
I blocked out some of the light coming from the left side with my hand for this one.

2287-orange-sapphire-003.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Close-up picture of it being held in my hand.

2287-orange-sapphire-005.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you didn't get a laboratory cert with it indicating traditional heat treatment or no treatment, it's probably diffused (dyed), in which case, that stone would be worth less than $100. The first two photos emphasize the huge window. I don't like the color, and the setting is kind of old fashioned, but decent. Fine orange gems are rare and difficult to obtain. The color is kind of brownish, and not very pleasing.

I hope you don't have a cousin Guido who is reading all of my comments and ready to kill me.

chictomato

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/20/2010 10:57:36 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
If you didn''t get a laboratory cert with it indicating traditional heat treatment or no treatment, it''s probably diffused (dyed), in which case, that stone would be worth less than $100. The first two photos emphasize the huge window. I don''t like the color, and the setting is kind of old fashioned, but decent. Fine orange gems are rare and difficult to obtain. The color is kind of brownish, and not very pleasing.

I hope you don''t have a cousin Guido who is reading all of my comments and ready to kill me.
Tl has said all I wanted to say:)

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
If you didn''t get a laboratory cert with it indicating traditional heat treatment or no treatment, it''s probably diffused (dyed), in which case, that stone would be worth less than $100. The first two photos emphasize the huge window. I don''t like the color, and the setting is kind of old fashioned, but decent. Fine orange gems are rare and difficult to obtain. The color is kind of brownish, and not very pleasing.

I hope you don''t have a cousin Guido who is reading all of my comments and ready to kill me.
Hehe, no worries TL, I don''t have a cousin named Guido (though I do have cousins) and I don''t know where you live (yet
2.gif
) so you can sleep well tonight. I appreciate your comments as I think a lot of people would be too hesitant to speak their mind even though I need to see comments like this so I can improve my knowledge of stones and jewelry.

Here is another picture I finally got on my desktop. I could only get it partway up my pinkie. It isn''t that the ring is really small, my pinkie is just freakishly large.
3.gif
I have a size 13 ring finger so mid-pinkie was the best I could do for a handshot with this ring.

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Whoops, forgot the pic. Here it is.

2287-orange-sapphire-006.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
the colour is actually decent (not great though) to my eyes, but I agree with the rest of TL''s comments..

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I haven''t delved so far into CS to have mind clean issues regarding treatments (well some but not all) so for me it is pretty much all about the eyes and I really like that color - but I don''t love the cut so much. I don''t love it in that setting but only because it''s making me crave creamcicles...

haagen_dazs

Brilliant_Rock
The first two photos emphasize the huge window.

TL
how do you see the window when the photo is not taken straight on perpendicular to the gemstone''s table?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
It all depends if you're buying or selling. If I'd be interested in buying this stone I'd use it's lessened saturation to my advantage and try to bring the price down as much as possible. That's what TL means by "brownish", when the color orange loses saturation i.e. strenght or vividness, it appears brownish cause that's one of the ways to get a brown color (desaturate orange, yellow or some shades of green or red). I personally don't mind it when some colors go to the "neutral side" and appear brownish, but that's just my taste and off course I understand that most people like vibrant oranges much more than these so the prices reflect that. I would also never buy such a large orange sapphire without a certificate from a reputable lab indicating the level of treatment. The workmanship of the ring and it's design are decent, but nothing spectacular and I'd say they fall in the mediocre range of jewellery available on the market.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, TL has said everything that I agree with; with orange sapphires, it’s very important to know the treatment level since most have been heavily treated (diffused). Whatever the level of treatment may be on this one, the colour is a rather unattractive brownish orange though in addition to a very large window. The setting is fine and at least different from the usual halos seen today.

HD (Mark),
After seeing many gemstones, it’s easy to spot windows even if the stone is tilted slightly. In this case, the window is so huge that it can be seen even when the picture isn’t taken straight down the view of the stone’s table. A sapphire also has high enough RI that the tilt window should not be easily seen.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
another warm color..shed some more light onto your stones in your pics..take some white poster board..put a light somewhere behind the stone shine it towards you and use the posterboard to reflect light onto the face of the stone

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another in agreement with TL I''m afraid.

- The sapphire is almost certainly beryllium diffused (if it''s natural it''ll have an appropriate price tag and certification)
- The cut isn''t good - very large window - look at your second photo and look at the centre of the gem, you can clearly see the facet placement/window.
- There is a lot of brown in the gemstone and this is something that can put people off
- The diamonds in the setting are not good (sorry).

I''m really curious! How are you getting jewellers to allow you to take photos of their stock and post online?????? Or are you starting a business and considering buying these?

Treenbean

Brilliant_Rock
I like the stone but not the setting. I think the third photo is the best. The most in focus, close enough for details of the cut, lighting is in the right spot. The angle the ring holder is at isn''t the best for a photograph of the stone itself. I do like seeing your jewelry though so keep em coming.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
i agree with everyone else especially TL and LD.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results